“great museum!!”

Children's Museum of Pittsburgh
Ranked #23 of 185 things to do in Pittsburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hi! We're having a great time at Children's Museum of Pittsburgh and the only thing missing is you. MAKESHOP, our tinkering space, has real tools and materials such as wood, sewing machines, hammers, nails, a loom, animation station and more. Jump right in, that circuit isn't going to build itself! The Art Studio is calling for your creative energy to design and ink a silkscreen, paint, sculpt clay and create something unique alongside the many working artists who visit. Young ones, you are royalty in the Nursery, a space filled with colors, shapes and textures perfect for your growing minds and bodies. The Attic, Garage and Waterplay (because it's just not fun until your underwear is soaked) round out the permanent exhibits. But not so fast. From marching bands, slam poets and cultural traditions to letters that fall from the ceiling and a crawling maze made out of packing tape, our temporary exhibits, performers, programs, artists-in-residence and artwork are particularly awesome too. If we don't hear the protests of departing kids at the end of each day, we're not doing our jobs right.
Reviewed 5 December 2013

we got the family membership and go at least 1x every 2 months - we live an hr and a half away. the art studio, garage, water floor, and te room of traveling exhibits is great. some of the better exhibits have been the wizard of oz, rolling one, bounce house and the current one (tape house?). the tape structure is awesome and slippery; the girls loved it and played in it for over an hour. it isnt too crowded on sundays when we usually go. totally recommend going but stay away from the areas where the birthday groups are.

1  Thank Tara H

Reviewed 4 December 2013

We went to spend a blustery day indoors. Our daughter was a little young for a lot of the stuff (but we did things with her and she was fine). One place she had a ton of fun was in the water exhibit. We changed her into her bathing suit and a swim diaper and she played for at least an hour. We took off our shoes and rolled up our pant legs and played with her. It was a great way to spend a few hours and tire her out. I can't wait until she's older so she can do everything.

If you do go and want to play in the water I highly suggest taking a change of clothes or a bathing suit. Some kids were sopping wet and it was 20 degrees outside! I heard a parent telling their young child (maybe 5 years old?) not to get wet...but it's a water exhibit - getting wet is kind of the point. If you aren't in the mood then skip it; it's on the top floor and it's the only thing there - they'll never know they missed it.

2  Thank Amanda0220
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

The kids love this place. They get do paint, play in water, climb, build, and experiment like they never could at home. They have changing exhibits so it never gets old for the kids. My only complaint I think they should include parking in the admission fee.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Those of you with small children may want to reconsider taking them to the Pittsburgh Children's Museum. We went for the first time today, and a staff member was running and JUMPED OVER my 17 month old as if she were at a track meet and my toddler was a hurdle. I doubt we'll be returning anytime soon!

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I used to take my children to the old Children's Museum and now I take my grandchildren and they love it too.