“Amazing ”
Review of National Aviary

National Aviary
Ranked #14 of 182 things to do in Pittsburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: Amazing collection of more than 600 exotic and endangered birds from nearly every continent.
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

This was our first time at an aviary and we were more than amazed! Truly a unique experience. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable. The facility is very clean and well laid out. Highly recommend a visit to the National Aviary!

Reviewed 9 April 2014

This small but fascinating facility lets you get much closer to birds than you do in most zoos. There are a couple of rooms where they fly and walk freely and it's really fun to observe. We attended the penguin feeding, which was extremely interesting. The folks working here seemed to really love their jobs and were eager to share information about the birds. There are coupon books w/ a 'buy one, get one free' ticket offer in many tourist locations -- we got one at the incline.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I went there with my kids. It was very nice and fun place. We learned about birds. They have a lot of kinds of birds. It Just an amazing indoor park. We all love it.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I love birds, but even if I didn't, I would have come out of this place loving birds. The National Aviary puts you right there in the room with the birds. Each room puts the different species in their natural environment. Share the pathway with a Victoria Crowned Pigeon in the Tropical Rain Forest. Feed the Brown Pelicans in the Wetlands, play peekaboo with a Burrowing Owl or have a conversation with an African Gray, watch an aviary employee walk down the hall with a penguin under his arm or talk to another employee about the owl sitting on her arm. This is without a doubt one of the coolest places I've ever been. Best time to visit? During the week when a Pirates game is going on. The place was practically empty.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I bought my mother and I a VIP experience for our combined birthdays. The National Aviary made our experience even better than I could have imagined. We met with one of the trainers, Caitlin, and she started our visit with a private tour and history of the aviary. She was so friendly and knowledgeable.

Caitlin then took us to enjoy a private lorikeet feeding. Mom had a blast with all the young lorikeets chirping and clambering onto her arms to get to the nectar.

From there, we had a "Flamingo Encounter" where we went into the flamingo exhibit with two trainers. We were allowed to sit on crates and feed the flamingos. It was so neat having the two tamest flamingos, Sweetums and Beaker, come right up to us and honk in our ears, preen us, and just lean against us. We even had the pleasure of seeing them do a few 'bows' and displays. It was awesome.

Next was some time in one of the class rooms where we got to meet several of the birds, including; Red the scarlet macaw, Beatrice the toucan, Elvis the penguin, and Penny the painting parrot. Elvis was adorable. Every time Caitlin touched him or picked him up, he'd coo and wiggle his whole body with excitement. We were able to touch him and were amazed by how soft and silky penguin feathers are. Penny painted mom a one of a kind masterpiece that we were able to take home. Red was a bit cranky, but we did learn allot about him from his trainer, Tammy.

The cherry on the birthday cake, as it were, was Mom going into the penguin exhibit to help with the penguin feeding. She looked like a little kid again... absolutely beaming.

I would HIGHLY recommend the VIP experience to everyone who enjoys animal interactions. The staff and trainers are so friendly and knowledgeable. They each went above and beyond to make this the best experience that my mother could have ever imagined.

We had time after the VIP experience to peruse the aviary on our own. It was the best birthday road trip ever!

1  Thank Lisa B