“Very Pleasant Hotel, Some Pleasant Employees”

Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside
Ranked #39 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Boston, Massachusetts
“Very Pleasant Hotel, Some Pleasant Employees”
Reviewed 18 June 2008

This is a very nice Courtyard--clean, comfortable, and with a generally very pleasant staff, particularly in the hotel restaurant. The food is also quite good, and the breakfast buffets, at $9.95 and $8.95 for the hot and cold offerings, respectively, are worth the money.

There are two downsides, however. The first is parking, which costs $18.20 per day for valet service. Unfortunately, except for Sundays, you cannot park at the nearby street meters because they will tow your car between 7 and 9 a.m. and 4 and 6 p.m. The other less desirable reality of this hotel is that there are a few rude employees. One, a receptionist named Crystal, rebuffed my request for a discount that had been promised by one of her colleagues when we downgraded our room. We attempted to persuade her, but she made it abundantly clear that in my case at least, the customer was never going to be right. Nice.

My advice is to park on the street on Saturday night. They don't tow on Sundays and you'll save almost twenty bucks. One other recommendation: Don't deal with Crystal.

• Liked — Food quality in restaurant.
  • Disliked — Attitude of front-desk staff.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Zaqq

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 January 2008

We stay at the Courtyard Shadyside 4-5x per year (we have family in the area), and it is the first place that we look to stay when we are in Pittsburgh. The hotel is newly constructed (circa 2003), has free internet, and a Starbucks right off the lobby. When we stayed in December, we had an issue with a group of teenagers who were watching movies loudly in the room adjacent to us. I made a phone call, and management quickly moved us into a different room,where it was much quieter.

The only annoying part of the hotel is the valet parking. They charge $18.85 per day to park your car in a lot that is literally right in front of you, and that you could do yourself. The justification for this is parking management, but it feels a bit ridiculous when you are tipping on top of paying the parking fee.

Nevertheless, I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking to stay in Pittsburgh. It is within easy walking distance (5-6 blocks) of both Shadyside and Bloomfield, both of which have a host of restaraunts and bars.

• Liked — Value for the price
  • Disliked — Valet parking.
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 9 September 2007

Stayed at the Courtyard for one night in Septmeber 2007 and have stayed at this property a couple of times in the past.

As always, the rooms were nice, clean and comfortable. Bed and linens were comfortable and the couch and desk provide functionality. Room rate included a free breakfast and the buffet was nice at that price, but not sure it would be worth the $12 price on the menu. The property is only a few years old and everything still feels relatively new. Its in a great location, within walking distance to Shadyside shops/restaurants, the hospital and Bloomfield and easy drive to Oakland and Squirrel Hill.

My only complaint would be with the valet system. For ~$19/night, I expect a little more service. This is not an isolated experience. Everytime I've stayed there they seem like you're bothering them when you go to retrieve your car. When I went to check out, no valet was to be found. After 10 minutes, I checked with the front desk and apparently, they both went off property at same time so the manager had to bring my car around. Just allow self-parking Courtyard.

Despite the incompetent valet staff, Courtyard Shadyside is a good choice for anyone looking to stay in the area.

• Liked — Location, newness of the property
  • Disliked — Valet staff is a joke
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
Armonk, NY
Reviewed 24 August 2007

We've stayed in this hotel before, and it was very nice. However, we had a different experience when we visited to drop our son off at Carnegie Mellon. Although the room was fine, we had major problems with the required valet parking ($18/night). First, we had to wait 10+ minutes to park our car. The valet could not be found. We had alot of expensive computer equipment in the back of our SUV so I asked the valet if she'd lock the car, and was told yes. However, when the car was parked it was left unlocked, so my son freaked. We got them to lock the car and went up to the room. It looked in good shape, until we found a white capsule on the night stand. I don't know if it was someone's medication, but I wasn't thrilled to find it. When we got into bed there were several tissues between the sheets. Yuck!

When we checked out, the valet was very busy (surprise!) so he gave me a set of keys and pointed me in the direction of the car. Only problem was that they weren't my keys. I could have driven off with another car. Remember, we were charged $18 for this privelege.

Although the hotel is in a convenient location we're staying elsewhere next time.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank DavidgrArmonk_NY
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 2 May 2007

I stayed at the Shadyside Courtyard for two nights in January while interviewing at West Penn and Allegheny General Hospitals. Check-in was a breeze, and the room was beautiful. The staff was courteous, and the manager's reception every night was a nice touch. I also enjoyed the complimentary internet in the lobby. I didn't have a car, so I avoided the exorbitant parking fees. The shuttle driver was really nice and left right on time. Shadyside is a fun area of Pittsburgh to wander around, and I definitely enjoyed the fact that there was a Panera bread down the street. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Beautiful, comfy room
  • Disliked — My room didn't get cleaned till 2 pm one day.
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 8 October 2006

My new husband & I were so excited to stay at the Courtyard Marriott Shadyside on our wedding night due to its location to our wedding & the jacuzzi room we had booked...I had called twice to confirm & tell them it was our wedding night & we would not be able to checkin until midnight...both times they seemed friendly & said that they made a note on the reservation. So when we checked in to a normal small, unclean suite we were devasted... so we immediately went back to the front desk to get the keys to our jacuzzi room. Well when we went to get the keys the very unfriendly front desk man said that they gave our room away....i was absolutely shocked...how could they do that especially if they knew it was our wedding night!!! The man barely apologized & told us we could speak to a manager in the morning because there were no managers on duty at night:( He wasn't going to call any other hotel or do anything until I started crying...how horrible is that!! Do not stay here due to incredibly unfriendly staff, unclean rooms from what we saw, high parking rates, giving away of rooms!!!

Stayed September 2006
7 Thank supershim425
Ohio
Reviewed 22 May 2006

This was the third hotel in our week stay in the Northeast for family visiting. This hotel has a good location, great shuttle service, expensive parking, smallish rooms, good housekeeping, somewhat noisy because of proximity to hospital, nicely landscaped, good staff.

• Stayed May 2006