“Convenient to Squirrel Hill”

Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside
Ranked #42 of 74 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 29 March 2009

Our target destination in Pittsburgh was the Squirrel Hill neighborhood, an area without many lodging choices. This hotel was one of the closest options, and we found it to be convenient, clean and quiet. As other reviewers have pointed out, the $18 per day parking fee (valet is the only option on the hotel grounds) is off-putting.

Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 February 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights recently for business/pleasure. Upon arrival, we found the lobby to be warm and inviting with nice decor and a cozy fireplace which was nice after being out in the 20 degree weather! However, the front desk staff consisted of 1 person who appeared to be overwhelmed and relatively unresponsive but check-in went fine. The room was fine but decor was pretty outdated. High speed internet was free which was a positive. The breakfast in the lobby (which was $13/pp) was pretty good. The free shuttle was nice and took us and picked us up at a local restaurant. Another positive: full service Starbucks onsite. My biggest complaint was the staff : everyone seemed very unhappy, unhelpful and unengaged. I lugged my 8 month old son in and out of the hotel with a huge diaper bag and his infant car seat several times and not once did the hotel bell staff (who were all standing right by the door not doing anything) offer to open the door for us. Also, the indoor pool was cold! Overall, an okay place to stay but don't expect any extras.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 November 2008

My friends and I stayed at the Courtyard for two nights as we visited Pittsburgh to watch the Steelers play. As we had not visited Pittsburgh before, we had initially looked for hotels in the downtown area, but found them to be either too expensive or mostly booked (probably because of the Steeler game). Staying at the Courtyard in Shadyside wound up being a good decision.

The hotel is about a 10-15 minute drive into downtown Pittsburgh - all on the same street - Liberty Avenue. Downtown on weekends is pretty dead so staying somewhere cheaper and easier to get in and out of the city makes it worth it.

The room was spacious and typical of a Courtyard - no bells and whistles. The bed was really comfortable, with lots of pillows to choose from - always a nice plus. The sheets/comforters were lacking a little but the room was warm enough that you didnt really need them fortuantely.

The TV had a ton of channels which was nice since it was a typical cold November day. Internet connection in the room was free, and the hotel also had a free computer to use in the lobby. The lobby was spacious and offered plenty of seating, along with free coffee, tea and cookies.

The only negative I what others have been saying - the cost to valet ($18!!). The parking lot is part of the Courtyward complex. In fact, you drive into it to pull up to the front of the hotel. Guests can easily park their cars in the parking lot, and especially considering you are not in downtown - there is no need to charge this much or anything for that matter. Fortunately, the valet charge was never on my bill for some reason.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 November 2008

We booked this hotel for its location near CMU. Apparently a lot of other people do the same. It was really busy, with crowds of people in the common areas, and lots of people coming and going in the elevators and the hallways. For all that, the room was quiet, and we slept fine. This hotel is fairly typical for the Courtyard line, clean and well maintained, with nice decor, comfortable beds, $10 buffet breakfast, free internet. You do have to pay for parking (almost $20/day and valet only, no self parking).

• Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed 6 August 2008

I always say that Ive never had a bad experience at a Marriott, but unfortunately my experience at this particular Marriott Courtyard hotel wasnt that great. The front desk clerk barely raised his head to greet me when I checked in and when I checked out the experience wasnt much different. The valet parking of 18.00 a day was ridiculous, particulary since they have a parking lot and my car sat a stones throw from the front door. They didnt have a bartender for their lounge so they pulled a girl from another hotel who had never bartended. I had to tell her how to make a simple gin martini. They also didnt have any clean glasses so she tried making my drink in a little orange juice glass. At least she was very friendly and openly admitted to the issues. The following night I ordered the same drink, this bartender had to look at a sheet to make my drink and he charged twice as much as I paid the night before. The resteraunt wasnt really a restaraunt at all. Its part of the lobby and the service was terrible. I felt bad for the server because she had a large party of rude people to deal with. But aside from that party, I was the only person there including my guest. She admitted that the wine list was old so they didnt have the selections that I made and when she brought the bottle to the table, she didnt pour it. I said thank you and her response was "yeah". When she finally brought my $90 check, she advised me to hand her my credit card because it would probably be another "ten years" before she made it back. The room was very tiny, but it looked okay. The AC unit in the room was so loud it kept me from sleeping and the bed was extremely uncomfortable. I was suprised because I usually find the beds and the rooms very nice and comfortable at other Marriott brand hotels. The hotel was really well kept and I enjoyed their little fenced in patio in the back of the hotel but they really need to improve their customer service and adjust their high prices accordingly.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2008

We recently stayed here for three nights, having decided on this hotel because it is the only one of any size in this area of Pittsburgh (convenient to colleges and the Shadyside neighborhood). Our experience was positive but nothing special. The hotel is clean and neat, and all of staff members we dealt with were friendly. Our biggest complaint was the bedding - our sheets were threadbare and pilled (very scratchy to sleep on (and verging a little on that creepy feeling) and the pillow choices were limited to foam. For hotels at this price point (close to $200 per night), there are chains that offer much more comfortable beds and luxurious bedding (think Hilton, Kimpton). The hotel food (we tried the breakfast buffet) also wasn't great - fortunately there is the Starbucks inside the hotel. Another plus - a flat screen TV - but given that the walls are quite thin, chances are you will hear your neighbor's TV. We will stay here again because of the location and will just hope a few things get upgraded.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2008

My daughter was looking at colleges in the Pittsburgh area and this hotel was recommended by Chatham College. The hotel is very convenient to Chathm College, CMU, Pitt and Carlow. Actually it's right across the street from one of Pitt's medical buildings. The hotel was very clean. We ate dinner in the restaurant and for restaurant food, it was reasonable and good. There is a Starbucks connected to the hotel and a Panera Bread within walking distance. We had a room with 2 queen beds and it was larger than normal hotel rooms. Each bed had 4 pillows and the bedding was very comfortable and clean. We used the pool and hot tub which were both great and the pool area had its own towels.

Within a short drive is Market Street full of great unique shops and national chains and restaurants.

The staff was very helpful and friendly. We will stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business