“Substandard - room NOT made up!!!”

Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside
Ranked #40 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 5 March 2011

The room was not made up - this was the 2nd time I have experienced this at this hotel. What was upsetting was that the hotel claimed that I had a do not disturb sign on the door - I was at a family funeral all day.

• Stayed: March 2011
KellyAnn88, Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2011

Dear MurraySav,

First, let me express my condolences for your family’s loss and I would like to apologize for any miscommunication regarding the cleaning of your room. I hope this experience does not deter you from staying with Courtyard in the future.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside

Reviewed 26 November 2010

Just got back from the Shadyside Courtyard and we had a great stay. The rooms and public arears are very nice and the staff are friendly and eager to help. Some people, on this site and others, have mentioned that it is almost impossible to get a cab in this area, but we found it to be no problem. Our trips downtown and to the Steelers game were quick and easy (about $12-$13) and when we needed a cab to go to the airport, we called ahead and arranged a specific time and they were very punctual. So, don't shy away from this area if you think transportation willbe an issue.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank SteelersCanada
dheinlein, Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2010

Thanks very much for your review and recommendation! We’re glad to know you enjoyed the hotel and found our location convenient. Go Steelers!

Best,

Reviewed 20 November 2010

I arrived at the hotel fairly late in the evening, and very tired, because of a delayed flight from Philadelphia. When I arrived at the hotel, I was told that the elevator was not working, and they placed me on the fifth floor, so I had to walk up to the fifth floor to get to my room. A bell hop carried my bag, so I was able to get up to the room without too much trouble. After going into the room, and anxious to go to sleep, I walked into the bathroom and discovered that it had not been cleaned from the last guest, and there was pee on toilet seat. Also the quilt on the bed was badly stained.

I called down to the front desk, and I was told that it would be at least a half an hour before someone could come up to clean the bathroom. They offered to move me to another room, but I was very tired, and I did not want to stay up longer, or drag my stuff to another room. I cleaned up the bathroom and went to sleep. I had ordered room service, and the hotel took that charge off my bill as an accommodation for the lack of an elevator and dirty room.

I was unfamiliar with this hotel, and chose it solely because of what I thought was a good brand reputation - I was badly disappointed, and would not stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
dheinlein, Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2010

Dear AshesToProveIt,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on your experience at our hotel, we value feedback of all kinds and truly appreciate yours. I’m sorry to hear you were disappointed with your experience; please accept my sincere apologies on all accounts. It’s our goal to provide outstanding service and accommodations to every guest, every time, and I regret that we fell short in this instance. I also feel badly that one of our elevators was out of service for period of time during your stay and apologize for the inconvenience. Please know your cleanliness concerns have been brought before our Housekeeping team and were addressed promptly, my apologies again that your room was not serviced properly. I truly hope this experience does not deter you from staying at Marriott hotels in the future. Thanks once again for your review.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 29 October 2010

Stayed for 1 night. Room had king size bed and pull out bed on couch. Three of us in room. Pull out very uncomfortable--felt like I was slepping directly on the springs, made for a long night. Room was clean. Valet parking only--you can park on street but it is metered and during the day parking is hard to find near hotel. Drive to downtown is about 20 mins and to ariport is about 45 mins. If you are visiting Oakland, Shadyside, Bloomfield, convenient to those areas. There is Starbucks in the hotel. Would stay there for a short trip, only if I did not have to use sleeper sofa.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
dheinlein, Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2010

Dear time2viaje,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel; we greatly appreciate your comments! Thanks too, for recognizing the hard work of our Housekeeping team to keep the hotel clean and inviting. My apologies that you didn’t sleep well on the pull out sofa; I’m sorry to hear you found it uncomfortable, but am glad to know you found our location convenient. We love being situated in the heart of some of the most characteristic of Pittsburgh neighborhoods. Hope to see you again!

Yours truly,

Reviewed 12 October 2010

Adequate hotel right across from Shadyside Hospital. Park on street or Shadyside Hospital garage across the street. If you are a patient, it is $5 a day at garage. Street parking needs meters feed starting at 8 AM. Avoid the $18 parking fee-silly fee

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 September 2010

I can fly home to Atlanta round trip every night for less then it costs to stay in this hotel. And that is before room tax, county tax, state tax, parking, and the 37.5% parking tax. This is the only brand name hotel in the area and they price it to take advantage of that fact. If you are visiting the hospital or the college, where else are you going to go? Do the world a favor and do not reward this price gouging with your business. Unless you like paying top dollar and the sound of traffic while you sleep.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 September 2010

Having not traveled before to the area, I don't know about the quality of other hotels nearby. Courtyard is right next to a medical campus, so emergency vehicles including helicopters are not unusual -- bring earplugs if you're a light sleeper. I didn't think the location was all that great -- it's a bit confusing, there's no great restaurants around, and it's till quite a distance from Carnegie Mellon's campus. Thankfully, there is a free shuttle service. The room with the whirlpool was lovely, though it wasn't ready for more than two hours after I first tried to check in. Quiet room except for the choppers passing by, and a few minor technical difficulties like a remote missing a back and whirlpool button that came right off. Seems like a fine choice, so long as your expectations aren't too high.

Mediocre fitness room -- small with elliptical, step machine, bike, and two treadmills.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business