“Could have been a contender! My reintroduction to the brand falls flat”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side
Ranked #54 of 73 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Check in was cheery, quick, and I must say 4+ star quality. It was a wonderful start.

We get to the room, which was a double queen with a pull out, and it is a nice size. Unfortunately all air is off, so a bit swampy, but we turn on the nice, quiet air to get things rolling. And I can't slight them for saving energy.

We sleep quite well, and the next morning we go out to see the sights, casino, etc. We come back to the room around 6pm. The room appears to have been cleaned. . wait, no. Old coffee form the morning still in the pot, no new coffee packets, a wet towel still in bathroom, no fresh towels, no emptied ash trays. So, in summary, the beds were made, some towels removed, and then. . . We called down for more towels. . not mentioning the broken bathtub drain or the fact that all the drains were slow. Seemed like maybe it was a one time miss. But the decay of the hotel doesn't end here.

That night my ankle hits the shards of metal holding up one of the beds! Why didn't I avoid it? It was hidden under the dust ruffle. On our way out for the evening I told the front staff, summarizing at least twice, that we needed that to be serviced. It never was.

To top off the bad luck, one elevator went out of service the second day we were there. We resorted to using the stairs at the end of the hall.

So this hotel has a great location for the bars, and the room's layout overall is favorable, its a shame that it was allowed to decay this way.

The breakfast was fine (Drury does a bit better) and the staff was pleasant, and common areas were clean. I came in expecting so much, and left never wanting to try this brand again. It was amateur hour for how much I paid. I could have stayed at a Marriott for less, and I guarantee these misses wouldn't have soured my stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Dear TravellingHombre,

I would like to thank you for your review and apologize that your experience with our hotel did not meet your expectations. I would greatly appreciate further information regarding your stay in order that I can investigate further.

I have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Thanks,
Brenda J.
IHGCare

Reviewed 12 March 2012

I think most people know what to expect from a Holiday Inn Express, but this one really impressed me. On one hand it's 'just' a fairly standard, but good, hotel.

On the other, it's full of friendly staff, who really do help you get the most out of your stay. If you want a hassle free, good quality, nice, pleasant stay, I would recommend this hotel. Free shuttle bus transporting you anywhere within 3 miles (and picking you up), free wifi, newspaper, coffee in room and lobby, good breakfast and even a small gym and pool

Even without the positive experience with staff it'd be good place, but just having people who seem engaged and switched on to help you have a positive experience just makes all the difference

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Ben B
FOMHIXS, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

Thank you for taking time to tell us about your stay. IHG and Holiday Inn has been really working hard to rebrand ourselves as a value stay. I am belated that you enjoyed your stay, and that we exceeded your expectations. I also want to thank you for highlighting our customer service; we have been working really hard on making every guest feel valued. We hope that you will join us again soon 

Reviewed 10 March 2012

This property, located in the vibrant Southaide area of Pittsburgh, is a viable alternative to the overpriced Holiday Inn-University Center.
While not as convenient to Pitt, CMU, or UPMC, this hotel is only 10 min away. Lower prices, better rooms/entities, more responsive management combine to make this choice a better value for most occasions.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Darthdaddy
FOMHIXS, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

I thank you for taking time to write this review about your stay at our hotel. As you mentioned we are still relatively close to the University of Pittsburgh, CMU, and UPMC Hospital’s and we offer a shuttle that will get you to all of those locations. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will join us again soon!

Reviewed 3 February 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel overnight, 2 families - 2 rooms booked through Hotwire and we were pleasantly surprised. The outside neighbourhood kinda looked sketchy like we wouldnt want to walk alone at night but it turned out to be fine. We went to a Pittsburgh Penguin hockey game, the hotel offers free shuttle within a 3 miles radius. However, the shuttle was in the shop so the hotel had there sister property provide us with a shuttle - but we chose to walk the 12 minutes to the Consol Energy Center. 2 in our group didnt go to the hockey game so they took the shuttle downtown to do some shopping and dinner but did call the shuttle to pick them up. Dave the shuttle driver was friendly and efficient. Gladys on the front desk couldnt have been more helpful and Robin the manager was super friendly and helpful. I have never stayed at a hotel for one night and known 1 staff members name let alone 3 people. The customer service was excellent. I would return to this hotel in a heartbeat. The free breakfast was good and they contiually replenished the food. The teenagers enjoyed the free fresh baked cookies in the lobby. The room was a 2 bed queen fully equipped with mini fridge microwave hairdryer coffee maker iron and ironing board and free wi-fi which is necessary when travelling with teens.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank staceyann20

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Tripadvisor for our hotel. The Southside is an area full of bar’s in restaurant’s alike, but there is still some remnant of old steel mill country as well. I'm glad you were able to use the shuttle to see the sites, in our great city. I also wanted to take time to thank you for highlighting a few or our stars here at the hotel. We have been striving to make service, our staple and appreciate the acknowledgment of such. I am also belated to hear you thought breakfast was good and find our rooms spacious and comfortable. We appreciate your comments and thank you once again for placing your review on tripadvisor. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 22 January 2012

This Holiday Inn Express was the perfect place for us to stay on our first visit to the city. Easy to find, superior amenities to similar hotels in the area, and a staff that went above and beyond our expectations when it came to service made a great first impression for a city that we came to love! The proximity to local entertainment (good, quality bars and restaurants abound in South Side) was also very appreciated. We will be back here in 6 months and will definitely plan on staying here.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christopher B
FOMHIXS, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

We greatly appreciate your feedback, and we are honored that you chose us for your first stay in our great city. The south side is full of fun activities, and great restaurants and bars. We will be patiently waiting your return, see you soon.

Reviewed 22 December 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed @ the Pittsburg South Holiday Inn 12/19/11....The Hotel staff was very welcoming. Helen the front desk clerk was very cheerful and helped us out with recommendations around the area to go. Robin the General Mgr was also very kind. They treat you as part of the family. Our room was #305 King Suite, was a big room and kept up to cleaning standards. Next door is a food place w/ a great menu that provides room service. I give it an A++. The hotel provides a shuttle as well. We did utilize it to go to Carson street where there was a lot of places to go for food and drinks. Good time!! Breakfast at the hotel was good...the staff does well. So to complete my reveiw i will say that i would return to this hotel....as a matter of fact going to plan a group trip next time to enjoy with friends.!! Thank you to the staff for making our little getaway unforgetable :)

Room Tip: Third floor has great views to the city around you!!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Melissa_Ben_85

Thank you so much for your review! Helen is one of our veteran agents and she can be a bundle of joy. We look forward to you coming back, and hopefully we can make you and your friends our family : )

Reviewed 13 December 2011

I am a Priority Club member and I stay at Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express frequently. I travel for business and always request to stay with Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express.

The gentleman who checked us in was delightful, however the woman who worked the evening shift was horrible.

I will never stay at the Holiday Inn Express South Side and I will not recommend to my company, my friends, nor my family.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank aprylmichele

I want to thank you for taking time to write a review, as our guest we value your opinion of our hotel and it's service. I do regret that you had a bad encounter with one of front desk team members, and for that we are sincerely sorry. Please know that we are striving to build a team, which showcases outstanding service on a consistent basis. Please come back and allow us to show you the great service that so many have come to love.