“Great Staff and Location”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side
Ranked #55 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed here on the night of December 29th. The staff were friendly, checked us in quickly and provided excellent dinner recommendations. In the morning the shuttle driver drove us to breakfast even though we had already checked out. He eagerly offered suggestions on shops and sites to see in the area of the restaurant and picked us back up within 10 minutes of us calling the hotel.

Our room was clean and comfortable. Despite being there the night of a big Steelers game we did not have any issues with noise or rowdy guests.

Parking was $14 however in our research this was almost half of what other hotels in the area were charging.

The only real negative was the breakfast in the morning. I found it to be subpar, there was no fresh fruit other than unripe bananas and everything else has been picked over. Hence why we went out to find our own.

I would definitely stay again when in Pittsburgh.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I am a frequent IHG traveler and needed to be in Pittsburgh overnight. There are no Intercontinentals, so to keep with the Frequent stayer program decided to try a HI express. Found the hotel to be modern and clean. The room was spacious and had simple modern furnishings. Liked the room overall and they included a mini kitchen which was nice.

On the negative side, the bed was firm for my taste, breakfast consisted of powdered eggs, and whoever selected the shower heads obviously never used one. There is a $14 charge for parking, and there were no empty spots when I tried to park.

I was there on a Saturday night just before a big Steelers game against the Cleveland Browns. The kicker came at 4:30 in the morning when there was a commotion in the hallway and several guests opened their doors to yell at the rowdy people. My neighbors were also loud until after 5AM. After inquiring, we discovered that 6 families were removed from the hotel for bad behavior (the most ever according to the front desk).

Although there were some things nice about this hotel, I will not be returning.

Room Tip: Choose a room far from the elevator. The hallways resonate with sound and ice machines are located...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Larry T
Gladys B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Greetings, Thank you for taking your time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! First of all, I thank you for your IHG Rewards Status, maintaining your loyalty to our brand! I am glad to hear that you found our modern accommodations appealing, our rooms spacious and clean; noting the functionality of our amenities. I do apologize for the firmness of the mattress. We are in the process of exchanging all mattresses in the building with brand new. I am certain that upon your next stay you will receive the upmost comfort. I have passed on the shower head issue with my maintenance department, who is currently inspecting/replacing all units. Lastly, I apologize for any disturbance you may have encountered, as we were sold out that weekend due to a major local event. Noise is an issue we do not take lightly; we adhere to a strict policy regarding noise disturbances, especially late at night. I assure you that all incidents were handled appropriately. It is my pleasure to extend the offer to you, that during your future travels to Pittsburgh, you can give us another try.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

This place very comfortable.I stay here one entire week. Actually I am still here because I will leave tomorrow but I want to make a review before getting home.

The hotel is very close to downtown and is close to every interesting thing in Pittsburgh. There is a shuttle service that for free will bring you every where within 3 miles.
The staff was very friendly. Room are extraordinary big.

exemplary!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Gladys B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Greetings, Thank you for taking your time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! First of all, I want to thank you on your prompt review prior to your actual departure from our hotel. I also want to take the time to thank you for your extended stay. I am absolutely elated that you found our accommodations to be comfortable and spacious. I love the fact you noticed our courtesy shuttle service and our friendly staff. Any time during your travels to Pittsburgh, our doors are always open to you. Please stop by and visit us again!

Reviewed 21 November 2013

I don't know what people expect when they book a hotel room but you aren't going to find a better place to stay in terms of location, amenities, and cleanliness if your going to a baseball or football game in Pittsburg. This is the closest hotel to Carson Street and there aren't any hotels on Carson Street. It's two blocks away and a short walk to the 110 bars in that area. The hotel is recently remodeled and in great shape! Our room was very clean and I don't care if some of the grout work is sloppy or it's chipped or missing. It was clean, quiet, and if you party it up right that train you hear in the morning will be the one in your head, not on the tracks. It's not as loud as people complained about here. Plus, it's Pittsburg! Enjoy the experience because this area is in the heartland of where all of the old steel mills use to be. All of the old homes on the hills heard that for years and was part of their lives. It's the old sound of Pittsburg and if you really do want "quiet" then don't stay in the closest hotel to the biggest party district in Pittsburg. It's a great hotel and has a great price. They have a decent continental breakfast in the morning and is close to a party store so you can also buy snacks and sandwiches for your room as well. Plus, there are a ton of restaurants along Carson Street. I'd recommend this to anyone but understand that a lot of fans stay here. It will be busy and energetic with fans during big games.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 November 2013

This hotel was clean and the staff were helpful. Breakfast was ok. In contrast to other reviewers we found the shuttle bus driver to be very helpful and he went out of his way to explain the attractions in Pittsburgh. We had no problems with the pick ups either, he was punctual and polite. The downside is the area around the hotel looks a bit rundown but there are plenty of bars, restaurants and nightlife within walking distance. Also there must be a train line nearby as the trains were quite noisy through the night. I suppose this would depend on the location of your room though, some would be quieter than others. There was quite a lot of noise from some of the other guests also in the early hours, again this is probably due to the proximity of the hotel to the numerous bars, I assume it is a good place to stay if you are sampling the local nightlife.I would stay here again.

Gladys B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Greetings, Thank you for taking your time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay here with us! I appreciate the positive review of our shuttle drivers. I will be sure to relay your comments to them. Our drivers are not only courteous and professional, but also very knowledgeable of the area and our city’s offerings. Our entire staff aims to please, and each team member is always able to lend a helping hand. I do apologize for any noise you may have experienced, there is a train track 1 block away from one far end of the building. Any sensitive sleeper can request the “quiet” side, away from any traffic. As far as any other noise, our location tends to have a lively energy at times, the “Bourbon Street of Pittsburgh” offers over 200 bars, restaurants, retail shops and small concert venues within walking distance of our front door. We gladly welcome you back to see what else our amazing city has to offer, demonstrating all ways our pleasant, upbeat staff will wow you.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Reception staff very friendly and welcoming. Rooms large and relatively clean, secure parking. This hotel seems to cater for younger clients who enjoy the local night life. The downside of this is that our one night stay here was interrupted by noisy guests as well as the train horn from the railway that is located a few metres away from the hotel. Discussed this in the morning with 'Robyn' who was very helpful.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear UK-Northants-Family,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We are so glad you liked the friendliness of our staff and the cleanliness of your room. We would like to apologize for the challenges you had with the noise and any inconvenience the situation may have caused you. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Second time I have stayed here. Great staff, very friendly and helpful. Rooms are very clean and spacious. Breakfast typical of a HEI but not horrible. Close to the subway system, hotel shuttle will take you to the station and you can get to most of Pittsburgh from there. Will be back again.

Room Tip: If you can try to get a room facing the back towards downtown on an upper floor, nice view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Gladys B, IHG Rewards Club Loyalty Champion at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

WOW! 5 Stars!! Thank you for taking the time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! We appreciate a second time review as to set you as a “regular” on our scoreboard! Our staff is known to be one of the friendliest of the area; and our rooms to be spacious and clean. I am pleased to hear our courtesy shuttle was able to take you to our closest stop, “First Avenue Station” From which you can visit North Shore (Free of Charge) and South Hills Village, if you are looking for shopping malls. Also, we have improved on our breakfast.. Our famous cinnamon rolls are always warm, and our pancake machine will always deliver! Thank you again for your review!

Loyalty Champion