“My Trip to Pittsburgh”

Ranked #50 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Atlanta, Georgia
“My Trip to Pittsburgh”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I am a returning visitor to Pittsburgh and I stayed at my favorite Hotel the Holiday Inn South Side. Although most of the Desk staff is new the General manager and Assistant manager are the same. I say this because when I first came to Pittsburgh I was welcome so graciously by the assistant manager who also made my trip and a success by giving me all sorts of information on getting around the city.
The Hotel has been recently renovated and the lobby and the rooms look great. I always check the linen and it is clean and the rooms are free from dust and hair. The bathrooms are clean and the soaps and lotions are new and unopened. All of this points to the fantastic job done by the Assistant Manage who in their friendly conversation inquires about your accommodations. Her name is Robin and if you are in need of something, directions, recreational spots or just a hug, she is the one. Robin is the face of the Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: The best rooms are the odd room numbers. The face the city.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Leslie S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here recently for three nights during our trip to Pittsburgh. It is extremely well located, just over the bridge from where the Consol Energy Center is, so if you're going for a hockey game, you're well within walking distance. Also, it's only about a block away from Carson Street where there are a lot of bars and restaurants, so we were able to find different places for dinner every night all within walking distance. Also, the neighborhood is fine, so we didn't feel scared to walk anywhere. If you're going for baseball or football, you really aren't within walking distance, but the hotel supposedly runs a shuttle to anywhere within a 3 mile radius (we didn't utilize this on our visit).

The hotel room itself is typical Holiday Inn. Ours had a little sitting area with a small couch and also a sink, some cabinets, a small refrigerator and a microwave. The room was clean and it seemed like the bathroom may have been updated recenlty. The front desk staff was friendly and attentive.

Parking was $14 a day, but you have in and out privleges, so it didn't seem too pricey.

Also, hands down, this hotel has the best continental breakfast I've ever seen! It was delicious!

We will most definitely stay here again, and I would definitely recommend it to others.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rumdoodles
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

I chose this hotel for the location, but was amazed to walk into a gorgeous, upscale, and classy hotel that was well above my expectations. Check in was quick and easy, hallways and rooms felt modern and spotless, and we LOVED the nice free breakfast with views of the city and river. This is now my preferred hotel when coming to Pittsburgh.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Boston
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This is a typical Holiday Inn Express. The room was fine--clean, but could use a little updating. The best thing about the hotel is the shuttle service, which is easier to use than other PIttsburgh hotels I've stayed at. The worst thing is the 3am train horn.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Eatsbonbons
Gladys B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! First off, I would like to thank you in taking mention to our clean rooms; we are in the final stages of our upgrades, so I assure you the next time you stay our accommodations will be more than adequate. I appreciate your commending of our courtesy hotel shuttle. Our Shuttle takes care of our guests in ways that most area downtown hotels don’t. Let us be your personal tour guide within our amazing city; we will drop you off and also pick you back up anywhere within 3 miles, including most of all major attractions in the downtown Pittsburgh area. As far as the nearby train track, it does tend to be unpredictable. Their Trains run in accordance to CSX Railway schedules. If you have any concerns that this may be of disturbance to you, please be sure to request a room on the opposing side of the building. Our Front Desk Staff is fully trained on this matter and loves accommodating Guest Requests. We look forward to seeing you again very soon, and again, please address any questions or concerns with us directly. (412) 488 – 1130.
Gladys B.
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Visited during March Break but staff was able to handle the full hotel. Shuttle service was nice to have. Breakfast was good and always stocked. Breakfast host was AMAZING! Very nice, hospitable and attentive. When a group came when the breakfast station was to close, she warmly welcomed them and brought out more food to ensure they had a good breakfast. Will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Great location and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Not as fresh/new looking as some of the other Holiday Inn Express hotel's I have stayed at but the rooms were still very nice and breakfast was amazing. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I'm really torn on giving this property a rating - the Staff is Outstanding - Really - more than outstanding! The rooms comfortable (I expected them to be more noisy thus was pleasantly surprised), Breakfast was great and we walked through the Armstrong Tunnels to get to Consol Energy Center for Hockey and to get to downtown! There is a bar almost attached to motel that was also great fun! But, if I had booked this room thinking it was a 4 or 5 on universal lodging standards, I would have been disappointed. It is a Holiday Inn Express and by HIE standards it is a 5 but by overall lodging standards it is a 3 or 4. However, do note, we will stay here again!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MsOrdeal
Gladys B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Greetings, Thank you for taking the time to post your review of us on TripAdvisor! First of all I would like to pinpoint any wrongdoings on our part. If we did anything wrong, we most definitely would want you to report it right away; from there we could correct said action. I greatly appreciate your outstanding feedback on our staff. We pride ourselves on our knowledgeable and courteous staff. Our rooms as well, we provide spacious studio suites, and our breakfast crew aims to be the last smiling impression that you see during your stay. Our location cannot be beat, within walking distance to over 200 area attractions. We greatly look forward to your return, any questions or concerns, please contact us directly. Thank you for staying with us!
Gladys