“Enjoyed a great stay!”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side
Ranked #55 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Wife and I stayed here on a Chase Free Night from my IHG Rewards Master Card. Got in rather late after a concert in town, and walked around the South Side. Not the best area late at night but we managed and found a nice place to have a few drinks.

The lobby and room were very clean and the staff were very polite. Parking is safe and in back of the hotel. Had a nice view of the city from our window. Overall, had a great time.

Room Tip: Upper floor, in back you get a view of the bridges and skyline.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Gladys B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Wow, 5 stars!! Thank you for taking the time to post your experience with us on TripAdvisor! I appreciate your choosing of our property for your Chase Free Night! Our famous Carson Street hosts over 200 bars, restaurants and retail shops within 19 blocks; which can become active as night falls, but certainly not unsafe. I am glad to hear that you found a place suited to your liking, to wind down after the concert. Carson St. certainly holds something for everyone; a wonderful historic shopping district by day, and a funky, modern “Pittsburgh-style Bourbon St.” [filled to the brim with bars and eateries] by night. I am elated to hear that you found the style of our lobby and rooms to be comfortable and appealing, our staff polite and informative, and our parking safe and secure. I have to say, I love your room tip, always call ahead to request a city/river view. Our entire rear side of our building faces the river and downtown skyline amongst Pittsburgh’s rolling hills. We anticipate your return!
Sincerely, Gladys B.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We were in town for a Pirates game and looking for an affordable hotel. Everything on the North Side was more than $250 and this hotel at $135 seemed a great bargain! The location is a block from Carson Street which is great if you are looking for bars and restaurants. We used the hotel shuttle to get to the subway that took us right to the ballpark...too easy! There was some trouble with the return shuttle to the hotel but our complaint was handled very acceptably by the hotel.
We found the room very clean and comfortable! The breakfast was hot and of a good variety. We will absolutely be staying here again!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Wow, 5 Stars!! Thank you for taking the time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! I am elated to hear that you were able to spend your baseball trip with us and we were able to add to the excitement of your adventure! You can’t beat our location, with over 200 bars, restaurants and retail shops within walking distance. I am pleased to hear that you found use of our courtesy hotel shuttle, and most comforted to hear that whatever went wrong was handled very efficiently and appropriately. I appreciate your taking notice of our clean and spacious rooms and the variety that we offer in our breakfast spread. We are always looking for the next opportunity to “WOW” you further, so come back again soon!

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Booked in as a family vacation to see a Pens game at the Consol. Breakfast was good, very typical for a Holiday Inn Express. Close to Consol - only a 15 min walk, but no where near anything else. Shuttle service is available, but we had our car. Problem was 2 stag and doe groups plus one college group. Very noisy and although front desk said they spoke to them, nothing seemed to be done. The room smelled very moldy. No other rooms available apparently. The carpet seem damp all the time. View from our room was of the back parking lot and what seemed to be a condemned building attached. Would not recommend for a young family or older couples.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Gladys B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! I am very glad to hear you enjoyed our Breakfast as well as the local Penguins Game. The Consol Energy Center is only about ¼ mile from our front door, and there are actually over 200 bars, restaurants and retail shops within walking distance; on our side of the river, along our famous Carson St. Our shuttle service that we provide really comes in handy when you are unfamiliar with the area; let us be your personal tour guide throughout the city. As far as your neighboring groups, I greatly apologize for any disturbance you may have incurred. Upmost comfort of all of our guests is something that we take very seriously, and we want to know as soon as any disturbance is received. We take every corrective measure to ensure that said disturbance does not reoccur. Every 6 months our full property receives a full-carpet deep-cleaning, so that may explain why your carpet was damp. I do apologize for your view of the first-level parking area, as this was the only room available at the time. The next time you stay with us, please request a high floor with a city/river view. More than enjoyable for a family travelling with children, and I greatly encourage you to try us again.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Only one check in clerk. Extremely friendly, but overwhelmed. Answering phones, answering questions, checking in.guests. He clearly needed help. The room's shower did not work, the sink was plugged, and one of the light bulbs in the bathroom was out.
I gave the clerk a note stating the issues on checkout, and he said thank you. It appears there needs to be some customer service training, and better maintenance. Not sure why a cleaning person would not report the issues to management.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Gladys B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor. First of all, I regret to hear of your disappointing experience. This is never the service we aim to provide. At times, our check in and/or front desk area can seem quite hectic, with many different things happening at once. Because of this, we always schedule heavy during peak times, but an unexpected “rush” can occur at any time. We are always prepared for this with a manager on stand-by, and are always in the process of training new staff on how acknowledge every guest, even with his/her hands full. I appreciate you stating how friendly our associate was, even under unlikely conditions.
I do want to let you know that I did receive your note immediately upon your check-out and I did ensure that your room issues were rectified right then and there. Had we known sooner, we most certainly would have taken every action needed, ensuring your upmost comfort. This being said, I welcome you back with open arms, to give us another try. Your one poor experience gives us more than enough motivation needed to prove to you how amazing our staff truly is and how far our accommodations sit above our local competition. Hope to see you again soon! You won’t be disappointed!

Reviewed 5 May 2014

My family and I stayed here for the Pittsburgh Marathon and were very happy with how accommodating they were for those running in the event and their families. Starting breakfast and shuttle rides at 4 AM shows that they pay attention to the needs of their guests. The shuttle driver was so friendly and happy and showed a genuine concern for the needs of the guests.

In addition, the hotel is within walking distance of Station Square where you will find plenty of bars and restaurants. A great place to stay on the South Shore!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away that doesn't face the railroad tracks. There is a crossing right near the h...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Gladys B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! I am absolutely elated to hear that our special accommodation to our marathon runners early that morning impacted your stay positively. Each year we try something different in order to accommodate our marathon runners in the best way possible. This year, we had 4 main members of our staff come in early to coordinate the pre-run “breakfast to go” along with our shuttle driver; and the early start of our full hot breakfast. We are beyond pleased that they were both noticed and appreciated. The best feedback that we can receive is that our extra efforts are noticed. I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to post your review. Come back to see us again soon, even on a non-event day, we will make every effort to WOW you again!

Reviewed 4 May 2014

The arrival location is quite good. The property itself is very good. The staff is wonderful. Mr. Chips the shuttle driver is a Treasure indeed. We had dinner reservations for 5:45 ay Meat and Potatoes, normally about 10 minutes away by shuttle, and arrived in the lobby an hour before our reservation, 4:45 thought we would have an adult beverage near the restaurant and arrive on schedule. Well, there was a Businessman's Special Baseball Game that day and we were caught in traffic and arrived at 6:15, 30 minutes late. We did have to pick up one guest at the Casino first. We did call our restaurant and they held our table for us so no real harm in the long run. However, The neighborhood after 10 pm on a quiet night is a bit like DEFYING DEATH. We were not harmed and I was thankful when we got back to the hotel safely. We walked past several local establishments on Carson Street, and there was not 1 patron in any of them. No sign of civilization- other than the hotel within 3 blocks and we were too concerned to go farther on foot. FINAL SCORE;Hotel 10 POINTS- this part of Carson Street for Boomers on a quiet night for AARP qualified- MINUS 6.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I am a returning visitor to Pittsburgh and I stayed at my favorite Hotel the Holiday Inn South Side. Although most of the Desk staff is new the General manager and Assistant manager are the same. I say this because when I first came to Pittsburgh I was welcome so graciously by the assistant manager who also made my trip and a success by giving me all sorts of information on getting around the city.
The Hotel has been recently renovated and the lobby and the rooms look great. I always check the linen and it is clean and the rooms are free from dust and hair. The bathrooms are clean and the soaps and lotions are new and unopened. All of this points to the fantastic job done by the Assistant Manage who in their friendly conversation inquires about your accommodations. Her name is Robin and if you are in need of something, directions, recreational spots or just a hug, she is the one. Robin is the face of the Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: The best rooms are the odd room numbers. The face the city.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends