“excellent experience on busy day”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side
Ranked #55 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 18 July 2014

i booked this hotel at the last minute, and was not disappointed. The front desk staff was attentive and very patient with some rude guests that were being difficult. Also, the shuttle service was great! Mr. Chips was super helpful and served the role of concierge. I will definitely return the next time I am in Pittsburg.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Gladys B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Wow, 5 stars!! Thank you for taking the time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! I am elated to hear that noticed the patience of our staff. Mr. Chip is our senior driver and most definitely the best concierge we have on staff. I cannot wait to relay your kind words to him. He will await your return as the rest of us will. Thank You!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We were at the start of a cycling trip on the Great Allegheny Passage. The location was terrific for us - near the Carson Street restaurants (2 blocks from the outstanding Cafe du Jour), a block from the entrance to the GAP, and walking distance to downtown (but if you don't want to walk the hotel shuttle will take you anywhere within 3 miles).

The staff was very friendly and exceptionally helpful. The room was spacious. Everything we could want was provided. Everything was clean.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

WOW! 5 Stars!! Thank you for taking the time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! I love the fact that you did your research on our river-walk trail system. Within city limits, the trail extends along all 3 of our rivers, yet the greatest point thru DC along Cumberland MD. I am elated you got to experience Café Du Jour, one of the hidden gems in Pittsburgh, along the Southside. I am so glad that you were provided everything that you needed, and on top of that, your rooms were spacious and clean. Thank You!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

The staff were very friendly and helpful. They made good restaurant and things to do suggestions. Room and common areas very clean and comfortable. The fee shuttle was a great benefit and took us multiple places at all different times and never waited more than 5-10 minutes for it. The hotel is only about 3 blocks from the the strip with lots of good restaurants, bars and shops. The couple of blocks there are a bit desolate but we felt safe (you can always just take the shuttle - would be about a minute). I found the mattress comfortable enough, but my preferences is for softer and they were firm. They had lots of pillows on the bed and were labeled soft and firm (nice touch), Breakfast had some options don't usually get at the chains like warm fresh baked cinnamon buns. They also offered breakfast take away containers which is very convenient, Didn't get a chance to use the pool. Our bill had an error on it but it was quickly corrected - so I recommend looking it over. I would stay here again if I was in Pittsburgh. Reasonable price for quality and location, Much cheaper then downtown by convention center but very easy to get to, Ask for upper floor room as most of the lower ones appear to look out at the parking lot.

Room Tip: ask for upper floors if you want view and 1st floor to be close to pool and gym but 1st fl hallway h...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jmhnyc

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience with us on TripAdvisor. I am elated you found use of our Front Office Staff’s restaurant and area attraction suggestions. I am also very pleased to hear that you found our hotel and room accommodations to be clean and comfortable. Our shuttle is within minutes of great nightlife, most of which is within walking distance, yet the shuttle is ideal when you are unfamiliar with the area. I am glad you enjoyed our new HUGE soft and firm body pillows. They are something that is being introduced brand-wide, and receiving rave reviews so far. I am also glad you made use of the take-away containers – most deluxe continental breakfasts do not have them. Any billing error or anything that does not feel right, we please request that you bring it to the Front Desk. We take Great Pride in making sure that all of our guests leave happy. So any question, please bring to us before departing. Upon your next stay, definitely request the high floor/city river view, and we will be sure to accommodate. Call us directly to book your next stay and we will see you soon!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Great location for seeing sights in Pittsburgh. Hotel was sold out the night before, we requested a room w/view on high floor. When we checked in at 6:30 p.m.the rooms we requested were not yet clean. The front desk clerk was very helpful and said he would move us as soon as one become available. We did not feel like moving so we declined. Complimentary breakfast was good. This hotel is a a big baseball event hotel so needless to say it is used by crazy sports fans. Cleaning staff needs to be more thorough. We found hairs and a bobby pin in the shower which leads me to believe the room was not properly cleaned. The rooms are spacious and the staff was very eager to please.

Room Tip: request a room on a high floor w/a view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! I apologize that the room you first requested was not immediately available, yet I commend our staff on extending the second offer. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our breakfast. I am also appreciative of the factors you brought to my attention regarding housekeeping. Without us knowing, there would be no way to correct said issues, so again, I thank you. I well certainly address these issues with our housekeeping manager. I am elated that you loved our spacious rooms and our eager staff; both of which we are known for, yet the props on our staff go a long way. Every one of our Front Office Staff aims for absolute satisfaction, so when we are commended, we are graciously appreciative. Much gracious thanks, and we cannot wait to see you again!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed overnight at this hotel on July 13. The entire staff was very nice and pleasant. The hotel is very nice and clean. The pool is nice and also very clean. Breakfast was good. To me it was way above other places we stayed. The only negative is that when we got to the room there was a machine in there running. The maid said that it was due to the fact that someone smoked in the room and it was a filter. The room and hotel were not smoking but someone did anyway. At first when we got there you could smell a faint smoke smell but we went to dinner and came back it was gone and there was no smell at all. That was just a minor issue with an overall very good experience. We would stay at this hotel again without question.

Room Tip: The rooms on the back side of the hotel face downtown Pittsburgh and the high buildings. My son thou...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience with us on TripAdvisor! My gracious thanks go out to you for your notice to our amazing staff, cleanliness and great breakfast! I agree, our breakfast is one step above the rest; our girls add a few final touches that others don’t. Sorry about the machine; our hotel does have a strict 100% No Smoking Policy. Any breaks to that rule create serious violations/fines. Yet, we have an ionizer machine that is one of the best, it can extract the smoke smell from nearly any area/surface. Again, we greatly apologize for the issue, and are elated to hear your experience with us was great! I love your room tip, the fact that your son enjoyed the city lights. Always request the back side of the building, in which all windows reflect the city skyline across the river. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I'm not sure if the staff was just having a bad day when I had stayed or what but they seemed like some of the unhappiest people I had ever come across. The rooms were pretty decent but the halls were full of noise at night. Only come here if you're coming to party

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Gladys B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience with us on TripAdvisor! Our staff is known to be the upmost friendliest and accommodating people in the Pittsburgh area. I am surprised to hear that you felt otherwise. Please feel free to email me directly, I most definitely want to make sure that whatever went wrong during your stay, I can correct. Email me at hiexss@kratsaproperties.com. I look forward to hearing from you and also hope to see you as our hotel guest again very soon.
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel was awesome! My husband and I stayed here for one night of our eight night stay in the Pittsburgh area. We splurged a little by staying here to go to a Buccos game and meet some friends for dinner and drinks (well, a bar crawl). Check in time was not until 4 pm. The hotel has a free shuttle (tips appreciated) that will take patrons anywhere within a three mile radius. The Buccos game started at 12:35. They allowed us to pay for our hotel parking and gave us a key card to be able to use restrooms, etc. in the hotel until the 4 pm check in. They let us take their shuttle to the 12:35 game. Because of traffic, the shuttle will drop you off at free metro stop, and you can take metro right to PNC Park. They will pick you up from First Avenue metro stop on your way back when you call them. The staff was so friendly and incredibly helpful.

The hotel was beautiful and immaculate. The beds were comfortable. The bathrooms were spacious. The view was stunning. The breakfast wasn't gourmet, but it was pretty good for hotel breakfast.

The location was wonderful...five minute walking distance from East Carson Street, the Bourbon Street of Pittsburgh. Restaurants, shopping, bars (of course), and Mount Washington incline are all very close.

Although it is slightly expensive, I will definitely stay here again in the future!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

WOW! 5 Stars!! Thank you for taking the time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! I greatly appreciate your splurge to stay at our fabulous downtown location! Our courtesy shuttle will take you to first Ave Station, where the free train will take you within footsteps of homeplate! About 2 hours prior to any major event, whether it be at Heinz Field or PNC Park, they shut down the main access to either Stadium for pedestrian traffic only; therefore we utilize our city’s subway system and/or our ferry boat system. Our city’s Gateway Clipper system offers a ferry to and from either stadium, $5.00 per person, each way. Thank you for your gracious words on our comfortable beds, spacious rooms and bathrooms and lovely breakfast. You cannot beat our “Bourbon Street of Pittsburgh” location, and I greatly look forward to seeing you again!