“Small size, big hearted”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side
Ranked #54 of 73 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 21 October 2009

Right next to where the action is on a Saturday night, but with the charm of a B&B. And all this from a low-budget chain hotel. The rooms and facilities are just fine, but difference is the staff. Robin and the manager Kevin really went out of their way to make me feel comfortable and at home - they really helped make the welcome, and the experience, warm.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Abahlali

Reviewed 8 October 2009

We choose this hotel because of its proximity to Station Square, which is where we catch the boat to go over to Steeler games. The hotel is located on the South Side along the river. It is a short walk to a number of great little bars and restuarants. Also it is about 10 blocks walking distance of the Southside Works, a trendy area with restuarants like McCormick and Schmick's, Cheesecake Factory, and the new Hoffbrauhaus. There is also the Claddagh Irish Pub as well as a movie theatre and many shopping options. The hotel has always been clean and the beds are comfortable. The rooms have a small dining set with a refrig, microwave, and a coffee maker. We enjoy staying here and the breakfast isn't bad, and the morning staff is very friendly.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gemme49
Reviewed 8 October 2009

I planned a stay here for my birthday mostly because it is located in the southside of Pittsburgh a few steps from Carson Street where all the nightlife is. They were very accomodating when it came to parking (there were 2 cars and only one space and they helped us find another place for the other car). I wanted to have some friends stop by before we headed out for cake and cocktails, and since they were not guests, I thought that would have been a problem but surprisingly it was not! They were very understanding and pleasant and I would stay there again and again. However if you are looking to be centrally located, I would pick something downtown because this is more close to just restaurants and bars, not too many attractions.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank slp717
Reviewed 6 October 2009

Great location to downtown and Southside
Nice free hot breakfast
Enjoyed the complimentary Shuttle to downtown and Station Square so much better than having to pay for parking.

We had a great view of the river and downtown from our room
The restaurant and bar adjacent to the hotel was terrific

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank prouddad24
Reviewed 17 September 2009

First of all I should say that the Holiday Inn Express was a very pleasant surprise. My impression of Holiday Inns was of a budget hotel for families, not business - so this is my first HIE stay; ever. The hotel is nice, modern, comfortable and quiet (except for the odd train). The morning breakfast is plentiful, tasty and free. Their Internet service is *very* good (wired and wireless). The room was clean, modern and in good shape.

I got the hotel on HotWire for $99/night + $14/night parking which is a good deal for downtown Pittsburgh - except you aren't down town :-(

The hotel runs ONE shuttle bus in the morning. The driver shows up, fills the bus and then drives away. He shows up 30-60 minutes later and repeats. They won't take reservations, won't do pick ups at a particular time and don't guarantee who gets dropped off first. So, if you plan on using the shuttle bus, be outside at least 1 HOUR before you need to be at your destination.

After the first day I tried using taxis. Taxi fare to downtown Pittsburgh is cheap - only about $5-$8. I got a taxi on day 2 of my stay and tried for taxis on day 3, 4 and 5 - but no taxi came! I talked to other customers and they too complained that taxis would refuse to show up at the HIE to pick up fares. I asked a couple of taxi drivers about this and they said they had issues with the HIE but would not elaborate.

So, I rate the hotel highly for the property and very low for access to the downtown core.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 August 2009

My adult daughter and I stayed at this hotel while traveling cross country. Unfortunately, we arrived late, after dark, and this place was very difficult to get to. We eventually had to call a friend with access to a computer to "walk us through the directions to get there". The front desk staff was very pleasant and helpful but we arrived so late (a Sunday night) the attached restaurant was closed. We ordered a pizza from the place recommended at the front desk but the delivery guy got lost too and called us from the post office to ask us where we were. We got our pizza about an hour later . The beds were great. The breakfast was great and the area looked interesting. Wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed 22 July 2009

Holiday Inn Pittsburgh Southside provided nice, clean accomodations. In addition, the free breakfast provided lots of choices, both hot and cold. The free shuttle was great! We saw much more of Pittsburgh because the free shuttle made it easy to get around the city. I highly recommend this hotel to families on leisure trips to Pittsuburgh!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family