Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side
Ranked #55 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 25 May 2010

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side for 2 nights in May 2010.

Pros:

The rooms. Based on seeing two rooms within the property (more on that later), you can expect the room to look exactly like the ones pictured on this and other sites. The rooms are actually quite spacious and have a working mini-fridge and sink. Bed was reasonably comfortable.

The advertised free continental breakfast was actually decent. The mini-cinnamon buns were probably the best part -- but you get reasonable choices (cereal [hot and cold], breads [bagels, toast, and biscuits], 1 type of egg per morning, 1 type of meat per morning [like sausage or bacon], various beverages including juice, milk, and coffee. You serve yourself like at a buffet.

Got the room through hotwire for $109 + tax per night which was not stellar but better than the advertised $189 + tax per night. Price was reasonable for the size/quality of the suite.

The pool! - Great for the kids, it was a bit smaller than I expected but fine for us. Most important, it was clean and towels were provided deck side.

The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. No complaints in terms of getting any assistance (directions/etc..). + On the first night, I asked where I could go to buy milk. A staff member asked how much I was looking for. When I told him just enough for my son, he told me to wait a second and went into the breakfast area (that was closed) and grabbed me a complimentary 250ml carton. A small gesture but VERY appreciated. ++ Also got moved to a non-smoking room (see Con below) on the 2nd night which the hotel certainly did not have to do. Greatly appreciated.

Free internet service is great! I used wired and had very little trouble getting access.

Cons:

Got stuck with a smoking room. Can't exactly blame this on the hotel as I booked through hotwire. Am not penalizing the hotel here, just want to point out that you may not get a non-smoking room. The reason I saw 2 rooms is that they moved us to a non-smoking room on the 2nd night.

Location. Although I think it is a matter of the type of traveller you are. There is an extensive bar scene on the south side and for that reason, the location was quite popular with many of the guests who were young and single. For families, I'd be inclined to say that it is not the best spot to be. Personally, I would not have felt safe walking around the neighbourhood (the hotel is surrounded by a "bath house", a salvation army rehab centre and a "behavioural health" facility). Again probably not an issue for many travellers but a little disconcerting when you arrive with a family.

While the front desk staff is great -- there was a let down. After we booked through hotwire, I called the hotel and asked if they could switch me to a non-smoking room. The staff obliged but when I got there, I was told they were full and there was nothing they could do. Again, mostly my fault since I had booked through HW, but was disappointed when I thought they had made the arrangements. Again, the hotel switched me the 2nd night when they weren't obliged to move us at all.

Advice:
We did the city tour with Just Ducky Tours. A little on the pricey side but fun nonetheless. And just as other reviewers have said, my son was allowed to drive the boat when we were on the water. It completely made his day. http://www.justduckytours.com/

For food: go to McCormick & Schmick's to eat off the happy hour menu. 1/2 pound Cheeseburger & fries is $2.95. There are other menu options that range from $1.95 - $4.95. Note: This menu is only offered at special times (monday - friday [3:30 -6:30]) or on gameday) and you must eat in the bar section of the restaurant. There is usually a drink requirement. Believe me, You will thank me for this. http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/Locations/pittsburgh-pennsylvania/pittsburgh-pennsylvania/FifthAve/menus.aspx

The other option is Morton's of Chicago for the bar bites menu from 5-6:30 and 9 - close
http://www.mortons.com/pittsburgh/bar/ -- get the 3 prime cheeseburgers!

As far as the shuttle service offered by the hotel -- Did not use it for a few reasons. But primarily b/c it operates on a first called/first served basis (and there is only 1 shuttle bus for the entire hotel). Didn't really want to risk being stuck out somewhere waiting for it to come get us. You also had to call the hotel to arrange for pickup and dropoff. Wondered if we'd actually get a seat if going to PNC park with everyone else from the hotel.

Primanti Brothers is overrated but a Pittsburgh tradition. I left feeling a bit disappointed.

Overall, I was satisfied with Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank ][

Reviewed 8 May 2010

Stayed for 3 nights and enjoyed our time in Pittsburgh. Short walk across the 10th street bridge to Duquesne University. Full Breakast included. Shuttle to local attractions including PNC Park. Would stay at again!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 March 2010

We stayed here in March for a little weekend trip to Pittsburgh. I was very impressed. They have the friendliest hotel staff I have ever experienced, even the housekeeping staff would stop to speak to you and ask you how your stay was. We got an amazing price on Priceline and still received a suite. The room was very clean and comfortable. We had a nice bathroom, a small kitchen area with microwave/fridge and cabinets, and a loveseat area with a table and chairs. My only complaint on cleanliness: I am very picky about a clean bathtub, and since it was cold I wanted to come back to the room and take a hot bath. On VERY close inspection of the bathtub, you could tell there was some film (soap I suppose) on the tub and it obviously had not been scrubbed out thoroughly between guests. I would not take a bath, but the shower itself was acceptably clean. Otherwise the room was great. The staff was very friendly and although the price for parking is $14 per day, other things made up for it, like their wonderful contintental breakfast and free shuttle service to anywhere within 2 miles. The service was good. Other complaints: The internet service was not very reliable. We stayed on a Saturday and Sunday night and there was definitely a lot of partying going on Saturday. A room down the hall from us probably had about 20 people and were VERY loud and obviously drunk, and they could be heard all night long. Another guest on our floor apparently called the front desk to complain, but nothing was done about it. The fire alarm was pulled at 4am by someone in this room, and it went off for over an hour. NOT a good night's sleep. This was my biggest complaint! Overall, we were pleased with our stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2010

We just returned from a one night stay at this hotel as we were attending a preview day at Duquesne University. This hotel is very close in proximity to Duquesne, over the 10th street bridge, through the tunnel and you are practically on the Duquesne campus.

The hotel is also one block from Carson Street where all the southside restaurants and bars are.

The hotel was great. Bed linens,. bathroom and room in general was very clean. Breakfast was more than adequate with an array of breads, bagels, and muffins, eggs, sausage, bacon and the signature cinnamon buns. Everything was hot and well stocked.

The one and only drawback for me was the freight train that went by about 3-4 times during the course of the night. I am a very light sleeper and had forgotten my earplugs so I did hear the train everytime it came through, my teenage daughter and husband did not hear anything.

I was not acknowledged as a priorty club member upon check-in and when I asked about it upon check-out I was informed they didn't have any priority club bags of snacks to offer they were out of them.

We will definitely try it again the next time our travels take us to Pittsburgh. If you are visiting Duquesne this is definitely the hotel for your.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Scrapbooker_in_PA
Reviewed 12 February 2010

I stayed at this location due to horrible weather conditions that permitted me from traveling back and forth to work from my home. I was very impressed. All of the staff were extremely friendly and professional. The people who stood out the most with extremely professional customer service were Robin and Parris at the front desk. They always greeted everyone with a smile. The shuttle drivers Lee, Eddie and Chip were awesome. The roads were horrible, but they made sure that they got everyone to their destinations in a timely yet safe manner. The room was awesome and very spacious. I made my reservation via Hotwire.com. I thought that I was going to get a regular room. I was surprised when I was given a suite. The pool and whirlpool were nice and relaxing. The complimentary breakfast was awesome. There was something for everyone. The view from my suite was breathtaking. I will definitely stay there again and advise my friends and co-workers to do the same.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 January 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on New Year's Eve. The location was perfect and within walking distance to all the nightlife. The room was very nice. We had a queen bed suite, which also include a wetbar (separate "kitchen" area with a sink, fridge, coffee pot and microwave, along with cupboards in case you brought snacks). The beds and linens were comfortable. We had an older TV but since we weren't there to stay in the room that wasn't a big deal.

Service was great and we were recognized as Priority Members. There is also a free breakfast buffet but we missed that since it ends at 11 AM. Parking is a bit expensive at $14 a night.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is in town and needs a place to stay that is close to downtown or the South Side. It's also a great location for the nightlife and any sporting events. A free shuttle runs during the day until early evening.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beachlover325
Reviewed 16 December 2009

The rooms were very nice. I stayed with two other adults for the Steelers game and there was plenty of room. The beds were comfy (with lots of pillows) and the bathroom was a good size. They have free internet access and a very tasty complementary breakfast too. The staff was very polite and helpful. They gave us multiple suggestions that worked really well for us. If you plan to go bar hopping then this is the location for you. It’s about a half block from Carson Street which is packed with bars and restaurants. The shuttle dropped us off and picked us up from Station Square, the ferry we took to the game & The Strip District as well as the grocery store and beer distributor (you can’t get beer in the grocery store). We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple