“Hotel in need of a hug”

Comfort Inn Conference Center
Ranked #57 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 4 September 2011

My wife and I stayed here whilst travelling to lake Erie. My understanding is that these chain hotels are individually owned but under the umbrella of the Comfort Inn Corporate badge - it showed!

The hotel is tired, the holes in the Walls have been patched andvthe holes in the patches have been patched and so on. Switchingnthe light on in the bathroom was like a game of roulette - sometimes we were lucky and it came on other times you just needed to bite the bullet and get on with your business in the dark.

The hotel is about 15 miles from the city centre and about 3 miles to any decent restaurants and coffee shops.

The rooms come with high speed Internet - yeah when? The aircon in our room was so load it was like sleeping in a plant room. Luckily we have started to travel with a small pedestal fan and that give some relief as it hit 90F outside. We pu the zircon on whenever we went out but the stench in the room when we got back was almost unbearable.

The hall way outside our room had a stale smell of beer like someone had been using it regularly to host a beerfest but not bothered to clean the carpets afterwards.

If the owner/manager reads this give the hotel a hug (major refurb from top to bottom). If you plan on a refurb put some solar panels on the roof, centralise your heating aircon, use renewable fuels and go green (there are grants you can get for this). It will give you an edge over the competition and improve your profit margin!

All in all what would I say - well not a great stay

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank rjhmlng

Reviewed 14 August 2011

When we first arrived at this hotel it seemed like a safe and decent hotel for this area. Our room was on the first floor which is actually in the basement with their layout. Our floor reeked of mildew and the walls had mold on it. Our shower and bathroom also had mold on the ceilings. When we went to bed we noticed a small amount of blood on one of the pillows and decided to just throw it off the bed. BAD idea we came home only to discover small bites all over our arms and legs, our room had been infested with bed bugs! Their complimentary breakfast consists of mini bagels and pastries in a room with little to no seating. Our king size room was not worth the $130 we spent on it. Save your money and stay somewhere else

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Sarah t
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Just got back from a 3 night stay, and have to say, I was very impressed. Maybe I don't have the highest of expectations in the world, but to find a place so close to your planned destinations (Kennywood and Sandcastle) in this price range is great. This was our third trip to this Hotel in the past 6 years, and all of them have been very satisfying. My wife and I, along with our 14 year old son and 11 year old daughter love coming here. The rooms are spacious and clean. They are a bit dated, but when I take a trip I don't really put much emphasis on modern decor. The only issue that I would have would be with water pressure, but that may be because they are located to high on a hill(?).

The "other" things about this place are wonderful. The management staff is overly friendly and accomodating, as are all the employees at the front desk. Anything you might need that you forgot to bring along, just go up and ask, they probably have it and will give it to you free of charge. Hungry? The free breakfast is easily worth getting up for. I've read earlier reviews that were not very friendly, and I don't understand why. They have scrambled eggs and sausage, waffles, a variety of cereal, bagels, toast, doughnuts, muffins, fresh fruit, yogurt, coffeee, tea, orange and apple juice. What more would you want for free? As far as the food goes at the Indigo Blue Lounge, it simply can't be beat, and the prices are extremely cheap. We ate there three nights (ordered carry out from the bar because we got back late) and our total bill was $115.00. We're talking about pretty big eaters here, and for the four of us to fill up on three dinners at this price is a great value.

Overall, another wonderful stay. Whether next year or the one following, will definately be coming back here for our Kennywood "fix."

As an added, would love to give a huge kudos to an employee named "Lou." I observed Lou At the front desk, at the pool, and in the restaurant, and the guy is exactly the type of employee you'd want working for you. Friendly, helpful, and a great representative of your chain.

GREAT stay! Will be seeing you again!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank Hevvy-D
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I am a bit shocked by all the negative reviews, especially a lot very recently. I stayed here last fall when traveling to "da Burgh" for a football game. Rented two rooms recently for a family weekend to see the Pirates and the Power, and all went well.

I found this place last fall when I waited too long to book anything downtown and this was open. At less than $100 a night on short notice I was a bit worried at first. I've stayed at many of the various Marriott chain hotels in the Pittsburgh area, and they are very seldom less that $100 a night. The ones downtown near the stadiums jack their prices through the roof on weekends when there are sporting events.

The property is built along a hill, so it is sprawling, and has many multi-level sections. There are many areas where you can park your car on the same level as your room, so I am not sure what all the complaints are here about the issues with no elevators.

The location is a bit odd, as you are heading west business route 22 from Monroeville you need to watch closely for the signs for Rodi Road. The first time I found this place was late at night, and was able to find it with no problems.

There is nothing "in the neighborhood" as far as restaurants but if you drive back towards Monroeville on business route 22 there are dozens of restaurants within a 10 to 15 minute drive. The Monroeville Mall is about 15 minutes away, and there are many restaurants in that neighborhood.

Yes, Choice motels are not Marriotts. Typically they are a level lower, but I can't justify twice the price just for a place to sleep at the end of the night.

If you want to save about half the price of the Marriott, it is not all that bad. I've stayed here twice, did not have any issues, and will probably stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Philosophyguru
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We had a horrible night at this hotel! Our first room was in the lower level. The hallways smelled mildewy and mold was visible on the walls. Our room was not much different. Mold on the bathroom walls, noisy air conditioner. We complained enough and they were able to find another room in their "sold out" hotel. Staff moved us, but could have been more empathetic. In our new room, we were kept up until after 2:00 a.m. by people running up and down the hallways making noise and the people jumping on the floor in the room above. No one picked up when we dialed "O", and after two trips to the front desk with reassurance that the problem would be addressed, the noise continued. If our 5- and 6-year-old hadn't been asleep, we would've left. The innkeeper said to us that this is a social hotel. We were just there to get some sleep after a long day of travel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Upon arrival, I checked the bed for bedbugs, and found the sheets had not been changed. I had to request new sheets.

The bathroom sink had no water. Maintenance had to come to repair it.

The carpet had nasty stains.

When we would leave the room and check to be sure the door was securely locked, it would be unlocked when we returned to our room. Maintenance had to come to reprogram the lock.

The remote control for the TV did not work well, after we requested new batteries. The staff said they could not replace it.

Once we returned to find our safe unlocked.

There is no elevator to reach the upper floors.

Poor location -- The location is not easy to find, because it is not near the street. If you miss the sign you cannot see the hotel from the street.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the first floor, because there are no elevators.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Stay here frequently when on business. Hotel is large and somewhat sprawling, parking can be a little difficult. Also, the first few times there I was convinced I was on the wrong road - it is long and winding to the top of the hill, but be assured it is there.

Rooms are a bit dated, so expect the normal things you would from an older hotel. No real concerns about cleanliness, however. Some rooms are walkouts, so smokers should seek these out. It is nice to throw the door open for fresh air when possible.

Because of the value associated, the hotel draws a lot of construction/contracting crews, but they are never a problem. I see a lot of families there, and a lot of people seem to take advantage of the pool.

Attached restaurant isn't too bad, about $6-7 for a good sized burger and side. There is also a "convenience" store right off the desk. Given that there is nothing else within walking distance, these two amenities are welcome.

Wireless is shaky, can be painfully slow at times.

I never eat breakfast, but I did observe real scrambled eggs available the last time I was there, which would have been tempting had I more time.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business