“"Bed Bugs & Mold...We Left!"”

Comfort Inn Conference Center
Ranked #57 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
USA
“"Bed Bugs & Mold...We Left!"”
Reviewed 9 October 2011

I booked this hotel in advance as it was close to Kennywood so we wouldn't have to drive home at 1 am after frightnight. We checked in quickly before going to Kennywood to find that our room on the first floor smelled terrible! My husband and kids thought it smelled like urine I think it was a high degree of mold..really bad smell. We requested a room change and they moved us up to the third floor. The staff was very nice. The new room wasn't great...old, outdated, stained carpets and should of been cleaner....but the smell was better and we decided to stay. After a long night at Kennywood, we came back and got ready for bed. I pulled back the cover to find a bedbug crawling on the sheet! I couldn't believe it. This has never happened to us. I quickly took a plastic bag out of my suitcase that I had put my shampoo bottle in and caught the bug. We all got dressed and packed up in a hurry. We went down to the check in and I showed the woman working the desk the bug and said we wanted to check out. She was very nice and apoligized and didn't charge us for the room. Needless to say we drove home. Old and outdated we could handle..but bedbugs...no way!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank MrsS88

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We were looking for a motel while in transit. This motel is a very good value, though a little isolated-about 3-4 miles from the interstate and restaurants, and about 10-15 miles from downtown Pittsburgh; there were other motels in better locations.

The motel itself was nice, clean, and quiet. It had a very good breakfast, in a restaurant-type setting (as opposed to alot of small room settings of typical CI motels), with a nice scenic view. The room was very comfortable, clean, and large, though the bathroom fixtures were corroded.

The staff was friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank rwellstoo
UK
Reviewed 4 September 2011

My wife and I stayed here whilst travelling to lake Erie. My understanding is that these chain hotels are individually owned but under the umbrella of the Comfort Inn Corporate badge - it showed!

The hotel is tired, the holes in the Walls have been patched andvthe holes in the patches have been patched and so on. Switchingnthe light on in the bathroom was like a game of roulette - sometimes we were lucky and it came on other times you just needed to bite the bullet and get on with your business in the dark.

The hotel is about 15 miles from the city centre and about 3 miles to any decent restaurants and coffee shops.

The rooms come with high speed Internet - yeah when? The aircon in our room was so load it was like sleeping in a plant room. Luckily we have started to travel with a small pedestal fan and that give some relief as it hit 90F outside. We pu the zircon on whenever we went out but the stench in the room when we got back was almost unbearable.

The hall way outside our room had a stale smell of beer like someone had been using it regularly to host a beerfest but not bothered to clean the carpets afterwards.

If the owner/manager reads this give the hotel a hug (major refurb from top to bottom). If you plan on a refurb put some solar panels on the roof, centralise your heating aircon, use renewable fuels and go green (there are grants you can get for this). It will give you an edge over the competition and improve your profit margin!

All in all what would I say - well not a great stay

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank rjhmlng

Travellers are raving about these Pittsburgh hotels

Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 14 August 2011

When we first arrived at this hotel it seemed like a safe and decent hotel for this area. Our room was on the first floor which is actually in the basement with their layout. Our floor reeked of mildew and the walls had mold on it. Our shower and bathroom also had mold on the ceilings. When we went to bed we noticed a small amount of blood on one of the pillows and decided to just throw it off the bed. BAD idea we came home only to discover small bites all over our arms and legs, our room had been infested with bed bugs! Their complimentary breakfast consists of mini bagels and pastries in a room with little to no seating. Our king size room was not worth the $130 we spent on it. Save your money and stay somewhere else

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Sarah t
Painesville, Ohio
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Just got back from a 3 night stay, and have to say, I was very impressed. Maybe I don't have the highest of expectations in the world, but to find a place so close to your planned destinations (Kennywood and Sandcastle) in this price range is great. This was our third trip to this Hotel in the past 6 years, and all of them have been very satisfying. My wife and I, along with our 14 year old son and 11 year old daughter love coming here. The rooms are spacious and clean. They are a bit dated, but when I take a trip I don't really put much emphasis on modern decor. The only issue that I would have would be with water pressure, but that may be because they are located to high on a hill(?).

The "other" things about this place are wonderful. The management staff is overly friendly and accomodating, as are all the employees at the front desk. Anything you might need that you forgot to bring along, just go up and ask, they probably have it and will give it to you free of charge. Hungry? The free breakfast is easily worth getting up for. I've read earlier reviews that were not very friendly, and I don't understand why. They have scrambled eggs and sausage, waffles, a variety of cereal, bagels, toast, doughnuts, muffins, fresh fruit, yogurt, coffeee, tea, orange and apple juice. What more would you want for free? As far as the food goes at the Indigo Blue Lounge, it simply can't be beat, and the prices are extremely cheap. We ate there three nights (ordered carry out from the bar because we got back late) and our total bill was $115.00. We're talking about pretty big eaters here, and for the four of us to fill up on three dinners at this price is a great value.

Overall, another wonderful stay. Whether next year or the one following, will definately be coming back here for our Kennywood "fix."

As an added, would love to give a huge kudos to an employee named "Lou." I observed Lou At the front desk, at the pool, and in the restaurant, and the guy is exactly the type of employee you'd want working for you. Friendly, helpful, and a great representative of your chain.

GREAT stay! Will be seeing you again!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Hevvy-D
Dover, Delaware
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I am a bit shocked by all the negative reviews, especially a lot very recently. I stayed here last fall when traveling to "da Burgh" for a football game. Rented two rooms recently for a family weekend to see the Pirates and the Power, and all went well.

I found this place last fall when I waited too long to book anything downtown and this was open. At less than $100 a night on short notice I was a bit worried at first. I've stayed at many of the various Marriott chain hotels in the Pittsburgh area, and they are very seldom less that $100 a night. The ones downtown near the stadiums jack their prices through the roof on weekends when there are sporting events.

The property is built along a hill, so it is sprawling, and has many multi-level sections. There are many areas where you can park your car on the same level as your room, so I am not sure what all the complaints are here about the issues with no elevators.

The location is a bit odd, as you are heading west business route 22 from Monroeville you need to watch closely for the signs for Rodi Road. The first time I found this place was late at night, and was able to find it with no problems.

There is nothing "in the neighborhood" as far as restaurants but if you drive back towards Monroeville on business route 22 there are dozens of restaurants within a 10 to 15 minute drive. The Monroeville Mall is about 15 minutes away, and there are many restaurants in that neighborhood.

Yes, Choice motels are not Marriotts. Typically they are a level lower, but I can't justify twice the price just for a place to sleep at the end of the night.

If you want to save about half the price of the Marriott, it is not all that bad. I've stayed here twice, did not have any issues, and will probably stay here again in the future.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Philosophyguru
Farmington, Michigan
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We had a horrible night at this hotel! Our first room was in the lower level. The hallways smelled mildewy and mold was visible on the walls. Our room was not much different. Mold on the bathroom walls, noisy air conditioner. We complained enough and they were able to find another room in their "sold out" hotel. Staff moved us, but could have been more empathetic. In our new room, we were kept up until after 2:00 a.m. by people running up and down the hallways making noise and the people jumping on the floor in the room above. No one picked up when we dialed "O", and after two trips to the front desk with reassurance that the problem would be addressed, the noise continued. If our 5- and 6-year-old hadn't been asleep, we would've left. The innkeeper said to us that this is a social hotel. We were just there to get some sleep after a long day of travel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pittsburgh
Comfort Inn & Suites Pittsburgh Allegheny Valley
Residence Inn Pittsburgh Monroeville/Wilkins Township
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#5 of 12 in Monroeville
Red Roof PLUS+ Pittsburgh Monroeville
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Pittsburgh - Monroeville Convention Center
Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh - Munhall

Been to Comfort Inn Conference Center? Share your experiences!