“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #39 of 68 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Castle
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is very conveniently located in downtown Pittsburgh. It's about 2 blocks from the Benedum Center so it's easy to walk to performances there. The room we had was very large and very comfortable. The staff was very helpful with directions to nearby shopping. Also the valet personnel were very helpful. Overall, a great place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Deborah D,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property! We appreciate your kind comments about staff and will be sure to share with them at the next associate meeting! We look forward to hosting you again!

Chris Burke, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Originally I booked this place for a couple reasons. 1) I used my marriott points 2) it had 2 queen beds ( not 2 doubles).
It is a typical courtyard ... The staff is friendly and helpful. There are basic amenities but plenty to do around the hotel to make up for not having a bar, restaurant or spa / salon.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
worldlyroamer,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown. We're glad you enjoyed your stay, as well as the variety of dining and entertainment offerings around our hotel. We hope you'll have an opportunity to visit us again in the future. Thank you again for your review.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

I've been to conventions in Pittsburgh several times and each time I've stayed in a different hotel. The next time I'm in Pittsburgh, I will go back to the Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown. The location is excellent - conveniently located to the convention center, to numerous excellent restaurants and to the Strip.

The rooms are large with high ceilings and tall windows. The beds are comfortable and the amenities offered in each room are nice. While the hair dryers and irons could be updated, the reality is that I don't choose a hotel based on those sorts of things. Requests were answered and filled quickly - with three of us in the room, we needed extra towels. The funny part was that a large stack of towels would be delivered but not replenished the next day, requiring us to make another request a day later.

The staff is excellent. They were friendly, helpful and always asking if there was anything else they could do. Really, they were just plain old-fashioned nice. I had several boxes shipped to the hotel and they were helpful in assisting me with that - and with shipping boxes from the hotel later.

But there were two staff members who I would particularly like to mention - Mark Wright and Andre Jennings. They drive and coordinate the shuttle at the hotel, and both gentlemen were funny, engaging and helpful. More importantly, they went above-and-beyond any possible duty or service their jobs might require. I could easily cite three separate examples of their willingness to help - their commitment to customer service. They are a credit to Marriott, to the Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, and to the managers and staff they work with.

Thank you for a wonderful time.

Room Tip: Our room was on the sixth floor overlooking Penn Avenue. While there was some noise in the evening...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
RosieAZ,
Thank you for your complimentary review of Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown. I'm pleased to know your first visit was memorable, and that the excellent service delivered by our staff played a part. We strive to exceed our guest expectations by providing a comfortable stay with sincere hospitality and we're glad your experience matched our goal. I look forward to sharing your review with our staff and will be certain to recognize Mark Wright and Andre Jennings on their exemplary customer service. We're thrilled to be your favorite convention hotel and hope to welcome you back again soon. Thanks again.

Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

I come to Pittsburgh all the time and I thought I would give this hotel a try. Typical Courtyard but a great location. The gym had about 6 treadmills, one wasn't working. The restaurant next door although not cheap but the food was very good. I thought the valet price of 22 dollars a day was reasonable as well. My biggest problem with this hotel and the reason I probably will never stay here again is the view. You would think that they would try to put a platinum member in a nicer room but as you can see my view was awful. I had to keep my window closed with no natural light coming in, very depressing.

Room Tip: Request a room with the view outside, not the courtyard. Try Sonoma restaurant next door
Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
AA75,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to Pittsburgh, and we’re glad our location offered many conveniences for your travel needs. I apologize for your disappointment in your room’s view. These details do make a trip and we regret we missed the mark during your stay. On your next visit, we would be happy to assign you a room with a better view upon request. We value your business and hope to see you again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Morgantown, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

This hotel is wonderful! I have stayed here several times now and it is definitely my go-to for accommodations in Pittsburgh. As a preservation nerd, I appreciate the care with which Marriott has re-used this beautiful and historic building. It is really great and lovingly done. As a frequent traveler, I appreciate everything else!

The hotel is very clean. There was no dust or dirt anywhere in my room. I go to a lot of hotels and this one is definitely impressively clean. The rooms are lovely and have very high ceilings and big, beautiful windows that let in lots of cheerful light. The lobby is very nice as is the small sundries shop which offers quite a few options for food, snacks, wardrobe emergencies, etc. Plenty of newspapers and books are around to read.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. They are always good to ask for restaurant or entertainment suggestions. In my multiple trips there, they have remembered who I am and why I have visited before, as well as the places I like to go in Pittsburgh.

The hotel's location is great, close to most of the theatres in Pittsburgh and tons of great restaurants, as well as the convention center. There are some cool galleries, museums, shops and bars nearby. The hotel does provide a shuttle if you want to go a bit further away or go shopping and buy lots of stuff in the Strip.

Also, the rooms are very quiet. No thumpy neighbors or slamming doors have bothered me at all. If you are on the street side, there may be some traffic noise, but it's not bad and worth it for a nice city view. The beds were quite comfy. There's also a real outdoor "courtyard" area and a exercise room.

The only minor drawback would be the coffee shop cafe in the lobby is only open for breakfast. It would be nice to get coffee or a snack at other times of the day without having to resort to a pricey restaurant or outside place. Also, the parking situation isn't the best (I use valet parking anyway) but could be a whole lot worse, so I'm not complaining. That's just something you have the deal with for the luxury of being in the convenient heart of the city.

I know i'm gushing, but I really have enjoyed this place that much!

Room Tip: You can ask for a city view, if you can get it, it's worth it.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
MintTripper,
We appreciate being your preferred hotel when traveling to Pittsburgh and we thank you for writing a review. Your praise regarding our property, staff and cleanliness highlight our core objective in providing exceptional guest experiences. Your feedback is important to us and assists in our mission to continuously improve our offerings. It’s wonderful to know you consistently enjoy a comfortable stay and we look forward to your next visit. Thank you again for your review and continued patronage.

Meadville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

Previous reviews had mentioned Zack: he was every bit as friendly and helpful as others had mentioned. He put both of us right at ease. The hotel was in a great location. It was a bit of a walk to the strip district esp with it being so bitter cold. We wouldn't hesitate to stay here again

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Jean S,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown. I appreciate you recognizing Zach's exemplary customer service and I look forward to commending his extra efforts in hospitality that put you at ease during your stay. We're glad you would return for another visit and we hope to see you again soon. Thank you once again for your review.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

Best service in any Courtyard I have stayed in. This is a small intimate boutique hotel even though it's a chain. Zac at the front desk is amazing. He remembered me from previous stay without looking at his computer and went out of his way to assist me. All that plus location in the heart of the cultural district you never have to drive for great food or entertainment! A must stay!

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Joserappe,
Thank you for your complimentary review and return visit with us at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown. I appreciate you taking the time to recognize Zac’s sincere hospitality. He will be thrilled to know his efforts in service had a positive impact on your experience. We hope you’ll return for another visit and continue to acquaint yourself with all the entertainment and dining options that our area has to offer. Thanks again.