“Great location!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #39 of 68 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Oakville, Canada
“Great location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stopped in Pittsburgh for one night while travelling through PA. Wanting to see a Pirates game, we looked for hotels close by PNC Park. The Courtyard fit the bill! We stayed in room 613 which had incredible 12 foot ceilings, with floor to ceiling glass. Situated on Penn Avenue, close to the convention centre, it was a 10 minute walk to the park. The room was clean, the front desk staff were efficient and we enjoyed a nice but brief stay. Recommended for anyone who wants to stay in the heart of downtown and enjoys walking around. PNC Park is also a must see for baseball fans!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Drew027,

It’s wonderful to know your stay was pleasant. We love hearing you were pleased with our hotel amenities and location. Your review helps us to monitor and improve our guest experience. Thank you for your time in reviewing your stay, and we hope to host you again soon.

Chris Burke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I was given Room 209 ... The room was clean and the beds were nice and I was getting ready to give the hotel a great review and then ... The HVAC system kicked in ... It sounded like a locomotive was idling 3 feet from my bed ... The sad part was that it wasn't controlled in the room ... The wall shook and it just cycled on and off until I fell asleep ... My recommendation is ... Stay clear of room 209!

Room Tip: See my review ... I just hope the remaining rooms aren't as loud ... What?! ... Exactly
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
It’s wonderful to know you enjoyed our clean room and comfortable bed. I’m sorry for the noise level cause by the air conditioning unit; I have taken note. I appreciate you sharing your sincere review with us and other travelers; this allows us to improve future stays. Our team strives to be your hotel of choice when in the Pittsburgh area.

Chris Burke
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for Anthrocon 2014, normally we stay at the Westin but this year wanted a bit more quiet.
Location is excellent for con-goers and close to many food options.
Housekeeping was nice, friendly and helpful; they met our requests always with a smile. We had a small incident where our housekeeper left only two bath towels (4 people), but after a call more towels were delivered. Front desk was also friendly. Our room was clean, good size bathroom and comfortable beds (window did have a deep crack top-to-bottom). Overall, it was nice; we'll stay here again.

The only reason I do not rate this 5-star, it's a little unnerving to unload luggage in the street, and our room was placed weirdly on the bottom of a landing after staircase. We had -heavy- luggage and of course there was no way to get a valet cart down there so we had to team up and haul our cases up/down the stairs. There was a room adjacent to ours marked as "accessible" which we thought was ironic given the only way in/out of the landing was either through the service stairs, or up the hallway stairs.

Room Tip: Ask if you have a corner room at the end of the hall as these are the ones placed down the stairs.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kee S
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Kee S,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and other travelers. I am happy to hear your enjoyed our quiet rooms and great location, but most importantly our friendly staff. I appreciate you recognizing our strengths while providing us some areas of opportunity for improvement. A return visit is the best compliment, so we hope to see you again.

Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Despite being a Marriott-brand hotel, Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown's service and room qualities were not up to par with the Marriott standard but still charged Marriott price.

I had a bad impression of this hotel before I even entered. I made a two-night reservation for a business trip, but I was stranded in an airport overnight because of cancelled flights. I called the hotel to explain my situation and asked to change my reservation, but the receptionist was not having it. She was completely unsympathetic to my plight and insisted me to pay for the night that I'm not staying. Eventually, I had to get my project manager to resolve this issue.

Both the room and the lobby were not spacious, although that's understandable given that the hotel was in downtown. What's not understandable was the creaking floor throughout the hotel floor, which amplified no matter how light my steps were. Good thing that I was not living below night owls, but that would not matter because the AC unit was too loud to get a good sleep anyway. Why would a Marriott hotel have an AC unit that's louder than my grandma's AC unit from the 1980s is completely beyond me.

Seriously reconsider if you decide to live here. Aside from sub-par room and service that are unusually low by the Marriott standard, note that the only available parking nearby will escalate the unjust price that you have to pay to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jay Y
Dear Jay Y,

Thank you for your review. Please know we take issues such as noise pollution seriously and we’re sorry we didn't provide the high quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we have addressed the issues you mentioned. We try to make each guest experience a great one at our hotel and we are sorry for falling short of this goal. Your satisfaction is important to us and we hope you’ll give us another opportunity soon to make your stay the best it can be.

Mexico City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Location is very good, just on Penn Ave, walking distance to restaurants and the Andy Warhol Museum. Rooms are OK, breakfast is OK. Free WIFI. Everything is just OK, nothing outstanding. Breakfast area is Ok but not beautiful. Lobby area is nice.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. We are glad you stayed with us and appreciate your business. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our convenient location and nice lobby. Along with providing us with areas of opportunity, your feedback serves as encouragement to our associates. We hope to see you again soon.

Burlington, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Our room was great. Employees were all very nice and accommodating, most especially the valet who drove us to the location of a wedding in the shuttle van. Very close to many things downtown. Would stay here again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Ellen D,

Our associates understand and believe that our valued guests deserve an exceptional stay and we will continue to push daily to find new ways to WOW our guests. I will be sure to share your very nice comments with our team; they work hard to ensure guests feel at home. I appreciate you taking the time to share your kind feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

Menlo Park, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

The quality of Courtyards varies, and this is one to avoid. I have found that the older properties, & those frequented by "conventioneers" are normally sub-standard. This is an example.

The facilities are worn by years of many, many conventioneers. The nearby Convention Center means that it is almost always filled with either business travelers, or party-goers visiting the craft, rock music, comic book, cooking, etc, Convention. Thus, the hotel has been worn by years of wear & tear of people "having too much fun" away from home. The lobby has been refreshed, but the rest of the hotel is overdue for an update. The staff is hard to find & appear to be annoyed if asked any questions or any service is requested.

I suggest that you stay elsewhere and walk further to the Convention Center.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
I'm so sorry to hear we let you down and would certainly never want to leave you with a poor impression. I sincerely apologize that we were unable to provide you with the exceptional stay and service you've come to expect from us. We value your business and your loyalty to our brand. I appreciate your feedback as it allows us to positively impact future guest experiences.