“Customer Service means "They're Right"”

KATANA Hibachi SteakHouse&Sushi & Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #1,215 of 2,225 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Groups
Description: chinese and japanese cuisine sushi bar&hibachi steak house DINE IN,PICK UP,CATERING
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Food was great, but with 4 people and a $98 bill they would not accept the groupon the night it was expiring, because one other person got the Sushi special for $23.95. $23.95 is not a cheap special, and with 2 - $10 corking fees on 2 bottles of wine they said they are loosing money. Completely disappointed since they averaged $25 per person and basically wasted the groupon. ---Not customer friendly at all, but they had great food. :-) :-(

Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

I have to hand it to the staff. They truly work at the BEST Japanese steakhouse around. The food is very fresh and the chefs are friendly and generous. The portions are huge and the sauces are great. I will definitely be returning for infinite visits! YUMMMM!!!!!!!!

1  Thank ListenToMe717
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Katana has a typical sushi/Hibachi restaurant look- not the best place for ambiance or service but the food was delicious! The sashimi we ordered were fresh- sushi special roll was nicely assembled, and the filet mignon was made just right- med rare with a delicious sauce.

Our only suggestion to Katana is to be smarter about their all you can eat sushi/sashimi menu for $23. The selection of dishes in the all you can eat menu was definitely generous but when I tried to ordered from this menu- I was told that I cannot share anything that I ordered with my husband- after the fact that my husband already order a separate meal (an appetizer, soup, and a filet mignon entree) for himself. I was a bit offended by this rule because my husband and I like to share our food and we don't eat a lot. We ended ordering outside of the all you can eat menu because we don't want to be watched while we eat. The delicious food made up for it though and we'll definitely come back to Katana.

Reviewed 24 January 2013

Tried Katana for an early sushi dinner for the first time last night. Menu selections were good. Service was attentive. Prices were typical. Parking was on-the-street, metered - but we got a spot just outside the front door. On-plate presentation did not disappoint. The only let-down was the rice. Tasted a little stale, like when you bring leftover sushi home, put it in the fridge & eat it later. Was it left over from lunch? In contrast, I sampled a variety of their fish & there wasn't a hint of any freshness problem.
Result: We'll probably go back, but it's not at the top of our list for sushi in the area.

Reviewed 8 October 2012

My wife and I visited on Saturday for the first time. We sat at a regular table in the back and not at the hibachi.

I ordered a mai tai. There was so much alcohol in this thing that I couldn't drink it. Yuck. It was not good at all. It was powerful. Good thing I also ordered a Sapporo. That was good. And it was happy hour with half price drinks, so the price was right. My wife had a Coke.

For starters my wife ordered a salad. The ginger salad dressing was missing the usually terrific bite that comes with it. It was a bit too sweet, and it was disappointing. But the salad was a great mix of greens and not just a pile of lettuce, like we've seen at other hibachi places. She also ordered a California roll. It was very good.

I ordered a spicy tuna roll. It was also good. Not outstanding. Just good.

For our main course my wife ordered the Teryaki Shrimp. She liked it. I thought it was rather plain and lacking a bit in flavor. I ordered the Sechuan chicken. It was rather good, and I finished the entire thing. The portions for both meals were very generous. There was no room for dessert in our bellies, so we didn't have any.

Our final bill was about $47. That isn't bad for a hibachi place. Not at all. We enjoyed our visit, but it wasn't so good that we will go out of our way to go back to Katana.