“I discovered I like extended stay hotels”

HYATT house Pittsburgh-South Side
Ranked #9 of 73 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Newer property at Soutside Works. This was the basic king room which had a view of the river, but was very spacious and we really liked the visually separated bedroom from the living/dining area. A big plus to the room is that there is a cooktop, microwave, dishwasher and sink if you feel like eating in, or have leftovers from an earlier meal. Staff was terrific, breakfast which is included, was very good and even the valet parking at $14.00/day wasn't overpriced by Pittsburgh standards, and has unlimited in-out privileges. Another plus is the shuttle which will drive you within a 5 mile radius of the property at no charge which will get you about anywhere you wish to go. You're in walking distance of a lot of newer shopping and dining.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor (top floor) in a room ending in 36 which takes you away from the elevator...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at HYATT house Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

WheelingWVMarty,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your experience with us at Hyatt House Pittsburgh South Side. We're glad you enjoyed your stay, our spacious accommodations, and the excellent service our staff delivered during your visit. Please plan to stay with us again the next time you travel to the Pittsburgh. Thanks again.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

First, this new trend in hotel chains is a welcome breath of fresh air. There are really only two room types at Hyatt Houses. Those with private, door closed off bedrooms and those without. Both types are spacious, with kitchenettes that are well stocked. The breakfasts in the main common eating area are very good, and the patio is wonderful. Parking is attached in a garage, and while it's an extra charge it's standard to the city. The best thing about our stay was the service of the house keeping staff. Prompt, discreet, and without asking recognized we had two children with us and left us plenty of extra towels, shampoo, and soap. Also, our room was spotless.
Getting into downtown was a simple left turn onto the hot metal bridge. Carnegie Mellon is a short drive, and the neighborhood was a lot of fun to walk in.
The staff were all young and gregarious, and we will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

OranVa,
We're happy to hear from you, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay with us at Hyatt House Pittsburgh South Side. Incredible reflections like yours gives us an opportunity to commend our staff on their excellence in service and cleanliness. We look forward to sharing your complimentary feedback with our team, and we hope to extend our hospitality to you again in the future. Thank you once again for writing.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed in this hotel in August 2013 and it was in a great location. The price was very reasonable for the type of room we received as well. Everything was clean and the room was spacious. It fit 4 of us comfortably and had a kitchen as well. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at HYATT house Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Carrie D,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review from your visit to Hyatt House Pittsburgh South Side. We're glad our clean and spacious accommodations added value to your stay, and you found our great location well suited for your travels. Please plan to visit us again the next time you travel to the area. Thanks again.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I stayed here 11/13/2013 and it was my first time at a Hyatt House so I wasn't exactly sure what to expect.

This location is right on the South side of the Monongahela River next to the Hot Metal Bridge. Hot Metal Bridge you ask? This is a great story of a city where when life hands you lemons you make lemonade.

This location is on the site of the old J&L/LTV Steel Mill (south Side Works) which closed in 1986 and the Hot Metal Bridge was used to transport steel across the river to the rest of the mill. So what we have here is a historic site that has been elegantly and thoughtfully reused.

It appears that I should call this area the Southside Flats and I found that American Eagle has located its Global HQ here as well.

I arrived after dark and was greeted by the Valet who parked my car in the garage which is on the lower level.

I was given a nice room on the 4th floor overlooking downtown Pittsburgh and the River which offered a beautiful view that I only came to fully appreciate at sunrise the next morning.

Upon arrival I found a greeting card from Keri their RCM and several snacks laid out for me. It was almost as though she knew I had traveled long and hard, and would be tired and hungry.

The room was actually more like a suite in that it has a living room area with a comfortable couch and high quality flat screen TV, a fully equipped kitchen, and a separate bedroom also equipped with a high quality flat screen TV, and a large and very clean bathroom.

The best thumbnail description is, "Fully Furnished 1 B/R Apartment." Wow!

It gets better! Right next door is the Hofbrau House, Cheesecake Factory and the Claddagh Irish Pub. I also saw a large cinema and numerous other eating and shopping spots.

Although I was here on business I'm inclined to come back here for a nice long weekend and really check out the rest of the Southside Flats. I have no problem making this my base of operations for a road trip like that.

Keep in mind that this is a major industrial town and has been for well over 150 years so although the mill is gone the Railroads still run through and that means you should tune out the train horns at 3:00 AM. It's part of the history and I was resting on a site where much of America's steel was produced in days gone by. In fact, after studying my family history I learned that my great, great grandfather's had actually worked in this Pittsburgh Mill in the late 1800's. I didn't fully appreciate the significance of this until after I had departed.

At sunrise I was greeted by a magnificent view of Downtown Pittsburgh and the Monongahela River and I posted a couple of photos you may enjoy.

The breakfast area on the first floor also has a great view of the river and of course breakfast was included, high quality and plentiful.

My experience here informed me of what can be done when circumstances change at a macro level. Pittsburgh didn't sit and wring their hands and wait for someone to come and rescue them. Rather they took those lemons and are making some really great lemonade.

Not only do I recommend you stay at this Hyatt House, I recommend that you take the time to see the entire Southside area. What a great example of civic rebirth.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MBVPHASE6

MBVPHASE6,
Sincere thanks on your enthusiastic feedback regarding your recent experience. We're happy to have been a part of your travels, and we are thrilled your first visit was memorable. I look forward to sharing your kind comments with our team, and I will be certain to recognize Keri with a special commendation for her warm hospitality. It's fantastic to hear all the aspects that made your stay enjoyable, and we hope you will return and continue to acquaint yourself with all that South Side has to offer. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

We chose this hotel more by chance than by careful plan. Yet everything happens for a reason. The reason now seem clear to us, this is a great spot to call home when in Pittsburgh. The location is a fairly long cab ride from the airport, $45 or so. But once in this South Side neighborhood practically everything is a short walk away. There are plenty of national and local retailers located in the immediate blocks surrounding the hotel. A cinema is just across the street as well as a rock climbing wall located within the REI store. There must be two dozen or more restaurants within a 10 minute walk with many cusines to choose from. Two of our favs where the Hofbrauhaus, a wonderful German establishment and a very local spot call Fat Heads. A craft brew spot with fantastic grub to compliment 35+ draughts. Super sized sandwiches, killer wings and homemade potato chips where savored on this visit.

Ah the hotel, our room was very clean and well laid out. A small effeciency kitchen led into a nice, comfy sitting room with an HD television. The queen bed was very comfortable and was complimented by a spacious bath with shower stall. The staff was very helpful. An example was when I inquired at the front desk about the Hofbrahaus next door, I was immediately offered a free appetizer coupon that we used on a yummy potato pancake starter. The hotel has a spacious fitness room with plenty of cardio equipment. The breakfasts are way more than "continental". Juices, coffees, lots of fruit, yogurt, pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, cereals, bagels and even an omelett station with plenty of ingredients to select.

This proved to be a great stay and a hotel we will enjoy on future visits to town.

Room Tip: Riverview rooms would be very special if available.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin O

Kevin O,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your experience at Hyatt House Pittsburgh South Side. We are pleased to hear not only of the comfort you experienced at our hotel, but also that you were able to take advantage of the variety of offerings around our hotel. Please continue to make us your number one choice hotel when visiting Pittsburgh. We hope to see you again soon. Thanks again!

Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

The Hyatt house hotel located on the south side of Pittsburgh was great hotel. The location was perfect for restaurants and shopping. The staff was very attentive and friendly. The rooms were very clean and nice with a full mini kitchen and a large shower. There was one feature I thought was odd and that was putting a room key in a slot to turn on the lights for the room. The view was great overlooking the water and the shopping area. The only drawback was that you do get a lot of noise from the street below because you are right by the haufbrau house. The only other complaint that I have is that parking is valet only you cannot park your vehicle in their garage and valet is $14 a night. Other than that the place was great and I would recommends it highly if you want a nice place to stay on the south side of Pittsburgh.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mjohns29
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at HYATT house Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2013

Mjohns29,
Thank you for your review and high recommendations of Hyatt House Pittsburgh South Side. We're pleased to hear you enjoyed our clean and spacious accommodations, and found our friendly staff and convenient location perfectly suited for your travels. We appreciate your feedback on opportunities for improving our guest experience, and we sincerely apologize for the areas we fell short of exceeding your expectations. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us, and we hope to welcome you back again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Best regards,

Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed here for a Steelers game and the place was just right. Decent bed, black out blinds, best hotel shower EVER! And a great breakfast in the morning. I would definitely stay again. They also had a complimentary shuttle to take us to Heinz Field.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Heidi M,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your Hyatt House experience. We appreciate you selecting our hotel while attending a Steelers game, and we're glad our accommodations and value added amenities made for an enjoyable stay. Please plan to visit us again the next time you travel to Pittsburgh. Thanks again.

Best regards,