“Best hotel stay”

HYATT house Pittsburgh-South Side
Ranked #8 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 31 August 2014

This was our first time in Pittsburgh. The Hyatt house was the best hotel experience we've had. The complimentary breakfast buffet was the freshest food I had for a hotel breakfast. Linda the supervisor was out every morning to ensure that everything was at our liking. She also took the time to make suggestions for sightseeing. The free shuttle around the city more than paid for the valet charge. Mario our driver went out of his way to give us inside tips on how to make the most of our visit (including what seats to buy for the Pirates game). The hotel is beautiful! Thought and detail were put into every aspect of the hotel design.
We loved Pittsburgh and would only stay at the Hyatt,

2  Thank BJBN775
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at HYATT house Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Dear BJBN775,

I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay! We thank you for your compliments. Each member of our team strives daily to deliver a positive guest experience; your feedback serves as encouragement to our associates. I will be sure to share your kind remarks. We appreciate having you as our guest, and we hope you’ll visit us again soon.

Reviewed 31 August 2014

This hotel is about 10 minutes from University of Pitt. There are a few restaurants, shops, movie theater, drug store and bars within walking distance. The hotel only offers valet parking. Breakfast is pretty complete with an omelette bar, fresh fruit, bagels and breakfast meats. Rooms are a nice size with a kitchenette, sink and refrigerator. Bath has a large shower (not sure if some rooms have tubs). I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Doylestown Traveler,

Thank you for sharing your review and recommendation. We’re pleased to hear our spacious suites, ample breakfast, and convenient location made for an enjoyable stay. We appreciated having you as our guest, and we hope you’ll visit us again soon.

Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

First off, the accommodations were perfect! Absolutely beautiful rooms and amenities in prime location to Southside.
The staff is top if the list. The people truly went out of their way to take care of my family on our stay. They were very personable and professional. There isn't one negative thing I could possibly say about them. From the valet to the supervisors, some of the truly best people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. My family and I will never stay anywhere else when traveling to Pittsburgh.

Stayed: August 2014
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at HYATT house Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Dear A TripAdvisor Member.

I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay! We thank you for your compliments. Each member of our team strives daily to deliver a positive guest experience; your feedback serves as encouragement to our associates. We appreciate having you as our guest, and we hope you’ll visit us again soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

My Family visited on Aug 2 and stay there for 2 nights. It was a excellent hotel and provide excellent and friendly service. Hot Breakfast Buffet is awesome and nice. Perfect location and good for morning walk and exercise just step out from hotel.
But only thing I'm not too happy is too expensive for parking $14/night

Room Tip: Ask for river view room and higher level
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at HYATT house Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear topwise,

It is fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your stay! We thank you for your compliments. Each member of our team strives daily to provide positive guest experiences. Your comments, which highlight our successes and areas for improvement, are welcomed as they foster change for the better. Thank you for taking the time to share your review.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Beautiful brand new Hotel, but need to share a few beneficial pieces of information to assist in your stay. First of all, there is a lot of fun things to do on South Water Street and on E Carson Street in Pittsburgh~especially if you like to eat, drink and shop! There's also very nice walking and biking paths along the waterfront. Park at the hotel and pay the fee upon checking in to avoid paying for parking elsewhere and walk or use public transportation to get around. Your car is valeted into their safe parking garage. Be "sure" you have the accurate times for Breakfast to be served. We stayed during the week and the desk clerk told us the wrong time and we missed breakfast; however, found a great breakfast within walking distance. We were upset that we missed it since it was included with the stay. Also, be aware that the lighting is modern touch sensitive in their rooms. If you are not acustomed to using that type of lighting, it takes alittle while to get used to working the lights. Other than that, it was a great location and I also advise getting out on their back patio which overlooks the bike path and riverfront. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Rooms on backside may have a nicer view, we stayed on the front left overlooking a parking lot.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at HYATT house Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Patricia A,

Our associates make sincere hospitality their priority. We appreciate hearing from you and are glad to know you enjoyed our hotel and the level of service we provide. I'm sorry for the confusion over our breakfast times. Your comments, which highlight our successes and areas for improvement, are welcomed as they foster change for the better. We look forward to seeing you upon your return to the area!

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I think this hotel has fallen victim to two traps in contemporary hotel design: a desire to please both business and family travelers with the same room, and a desire to have innovative design over useful/utilitarian design. I will say, the people working there have been awesome, attentive, helpful, and polite. The price is about appropriate for you what you get. The location is pretty good, and the rooms seem to have a halfway decent view/accomodation. I like the kitchenette idea, but who would use it is unclear to me. Also, the valet parking (mandatory) seems unnecessary as the parking lot is just on the other side of the building: you can see the valet get into your car and pull it around. I could have done that.

At first blush, this hotel is really nicely set up: contemporary lines reflecting a somewhat industrial, angular facade. Sure, fine, whatever. I'm not paying to sleep in the lobby (but if that's your thing, you won't be too disappointed, and you'd probably go unnoticed with all the nooks and crannies with chairs and such. Then there's the room. Again, it looks really awesome at first glance, but there's been over a dozen times where I've been so confused about what they were thinking. This room would probably be okay for one person, cramped for a couple, but seems set up for a family.

First and foremost, the door to the bathroom doesn't lock, it doesn't even close the whole way (by design). There's a big crack between two half doors with a clear-as-day view to the toilet and into the shower (encased in glass, so the showerer can be spied upon with ease). Fine for a solo traveler, I suppose, but what kind of family would do that? I can see the appeal if you're trolling the southside for a late-night rendezvous at the many bars that are here, but my god, if you're doing that and rent a hotel room here just to be as creepy as possible, reevaluate your life.

Anyway, more about the bathroom. The closet is in the bathroom. Good to steam the wrinkles out of your suit, I suppose, but if you are sharing the room with someone and one of you needs to shower (or use the toilet) while the other gets dressed, that'll be a really awkward exchange. The shower contains a single, itty bitty metal soap dish that isn't big enough to hold the shampoo, conditioner, and bar of soap they give you. There is one, tiny trashcan for the whole place in the kitchenette. If you were hoping to throw things away in the bathroom, so far as I can tell, you'll have to take it out the kitchen. Ahem, warning to the ladies. But, it's great if you find hot showers to be unenjoyable, because the best I could do after two showers is tepid. I suppose this will make steaming my suit difficult.

If you want to get some work done, there is a desk that doubles as a counter/table to eat at. Great use and economy of space. But...the desk is a mere 3 feet from the wall making it unnecessarily tight to get in and out. The chair they chose is too tall for me (I'm 5'6") and really uncomfortable. As hotel (especially free hotel wifi) goes, it wasn't bad. Speedtest clocked it at about 15mbps, which for American standards is better than most houses get.

However, the rest of it seems cute enough. Nice little fridge, dishes, dishwasher. Pet friendly. Pull out couch. Truly horrendous coffee, though, even for hotel coffee.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at HYATT house Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

nemo8855,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thorough review. I'm sorry to hear the hotel design did not meet your needs. We hope you found the service and location to exceed your expectations. We appreciate your comments and hope that you will visit us again.

Michael Rhoten,

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed here on a whim with our friends from Dayton. WOW. Such a new, sleek, clean, contemporary hotel! Valet parking was $14 unlimited in and out. Or you can pay $3 to stay ($3 each time in/out) right across the street in a parking garage. The hotel doesn't have a large entrance when you pull up outside. Check in on 2nd floor. Our favorite part was the view of the Mon River & Pittsburgh. Also the gorgeous outdoor seating patio area. The tv in the room spins so you can watch in bed or on couch. The only thing I didn't care for was there are 2 bathroom doors that you close together. And there's a huge space between both doors. We loved it here and will definitely be back. Gorgeous and in THE perfect location in the city!

Stayed: August 2014

Dear TouristTrap9597,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We’re pleased to hear our contemporary design, relaxing patio, and convenient location made for an enjoyable stay. We look forward to your return visit.