“3rd time NOT a charm!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nakama Japanese Steakhouse

Nakama Japanese Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Nakama Japanese Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #281 of 2,141 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Price range: US$41 - US$80
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Southside Flats
Cross street: 17th
Transit: 51A, 51B, 51C, 51D, 51G & 54C
“3rd time NOT a charm!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

I am sad to say I cannot give this place anything better than a 2 out of 5. When we first started going to Nakama years ago, it was very good - the food, the service, fair prices and then....it all went bad. First, it became a mob scene on the weekends and almost impossible to get in. It then became a younger crowd pick up joint, service was poor; in fact there were times when the hostess was down right rude! We would go frequently after work with co-workers and then at times with the family and friends. But after the change of direction in clientele, we went less and less.

The real reason we quit going all together is that I and several co-workers were sick after eating here. Not once, not twice, but THREE times! Now when I say sick, I mean S-I-C-K as a dog! Third time was NOT a charm and we considered it a done deal to never go back! We have found several other better sushi locations in the Pgh area since and not only are they are more reasonable, they have better fresher sushi and are more service oriented.

• Visited March 2013

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Best Sushi in Pittsburgh!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

A great restaurant in a great part of Pittsburgh! Nakama not only has the best sushi, they have a great selection of unique and delicious rolls. My only complaint is that we came with 6 people wanting only sushi, not the hibachi tables. The hostess was less then accommodating however with a little persistence and total cooperation from the manager the unused tables in the back were set up for us (just so happens, the same tables that Justin Timberlake and his entourage had sat in just a couple weeks before!!) with terrific service from then on!! Hawaiian Style Roll is my favorite!!!! As a side note, Nakama is located in the Southside, which is a great part of Pittsburgh day or night! Lots of shopping, bars and eatery's!! Enjoy!!

• Visited January 2014
“Sushi is yummy!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

My husband I visited on a Saturday night, without a reservation, and had no wait to get in. We found two seats at the sushi bar, which I believe is first come first serve. We got lucky I think.
My husband is not a sushi eater, not much of a seafood guy in general, but he managed to find a yummy little chicken appetizer on the menu that he really enjoyed.
I got the Red Dragon Maki and a California Roll, both of which were excellent. I had a glass of wine and my husband had a beer. The drinks were pricey but I expected as much. The food was fresh and tasty. We did not try the habachi side...mayhem another trip, but it looked as though the people there were having fun.
The waitstaff looked extremely busy, almost too much. They need to add a few more servers I think. It took a while to get our drinks, in fact, I think longer to get drinks than food. Having worked in the restaurant business for years, I was sort of surprised by the wait time for drinks at an upscale place. I sort of expected our server to be less rushed. He was great, very polite and professional, but you can tell the poor guy was very busy.
Overall, we enjoyed, and will return, with friends, to give the hibachi a try.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Good but I've had this hibachi before”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

My wife and I went here with another couple to relax and unwind following a hectic year. We heard good things about it and were eager to try it out.

The outside was attractive and the fish design coming out of the building really stands out. The inside was separated into two portions, a sushi bar and the hibachi side. We arrived before the other couple and sat at the bar to relax with a few drinks. Drinks were standard and comparable in price to many other mid to high level restaurants but one major disappointment was their lack of sake options (usually a huge draw at most Japanese restaurants).

The hibachi area was very open and you will likely share the table with other parties, which is standard at most hibachi restaurants. The bad part about this is that the noise quickly escalates and it can be very difficult to hear other people, even if they're sitting close to you. The servers were decent and would take care of anything that was asked of them but they seemed to be a bit overworked and wouldn't come of their own accord unless called.

At most hibachi places one of the key elements is the pageantry in the presentation. Call it gimmicky but I like the shows of flipping food pieces into the hats and making little volcanoes. Sadly, that was lacking here.

They also offered sushi. There was nothing bad at all about the fare and it was quite tasty but it did nothing to differentiate itself from other sushi restaurants. The did have a few interesting specialty rolls but we were not as adventurous in trying them out.

Overall the food was tasty but the presentation was a bit lacking. It's a great place to go and try it but I'm entirely sure it justifies the price. While there was nothing at all bad about it often I felt myself feeling that it just could have been so much more.

• Visited December 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Sushi is worth the money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

It was a cold afternoon when we came for drinks and some sushi.

We shared 3 specialty rolls, had 1 Sopporo 22oz and 2 glasses of champagne. The bill came to about 68 dollars.

The sushi was really good, creative. Only complaint would be that the bar area can get drafty when people are coming/going. Nice staff.

• Visited January 2014