“Toujours Excellent, mais bruyant”
Review of Casbah

Casbah
Reserve with OpenTable
Casbah is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 2,166 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Shadyside
Cross street: Alder Street
Avignon, France
“Toujours Excellent, mais bruyant”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Went there on a Satuday night at 7:30pm with friends. We had reserved and were told to wait in the bar area for our table. I was sorry that the bar expenses could not be moved to our dinner bill and had to be paid for separately.
Dinner was excellent, the lamb loin, the sirloin were cooked to order perfectly, the double pork chop was oustanding very moist and tender and the rizotto superb. We had desserts (crèmes brûlées) and chocolate pudding and a bottle of Niebolo (red) and it all came to about 200 dollars for three, tip included.
Service was excellent: attentive and not obtrusive.
The only flaw was the noise level as there is very little in terms of carpets, wall covering to assuage the conversation level, in particular from the bar.
I have come back here three years in a row now, and it has only improved with time.

• Visited November 2013

Atlanta, Georgia
“Excellent meal and service”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We had a lovely dinner at Casbah. We were seven in our party and they were very accommodating with the kids, making pasta for them.
A few in our party had the octopus, calamari and sea scallops and loved it. I had the salmon and it was cooked to perfection.

this is a $$$ restaurant but worth the visit for a special occasion. Service was flawless.

• Visited October 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“Always a good choice”
Reviewed 15 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Casbah has always delivered excellent, inventive food. The patio can be a little noisy when crowded. Great wine selection, also.

Visited October 2013
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Creative and Delicious”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We had only one dinner in a recent trip to Pittsburgh to go all-out, and we are glad we picked Casbah. Both the rabbit sausage/confit pappardelle and the heirloom tomato salad were excellent starters. Rabbit is something you can't get every day, and the three varieties of tomatoes in the salad were nicely highlighted at their peak of seasonal freshness. My wife's perfectly cooked halibut was accented by the roasted fennel and chanterelles. My gnocchi was some of the best I have ever had and was not overpowered by the chicken confit, beans, chanterelles and cheese curds. I enjoyed the extensive list of wines by the glass, including a reasonably-priced flight of their featured wines. It was nice to mix and match and experiment with pairings a bit. At the price point this would not be an every-week stop for us, but it was a great special occasion meal. The only negative was that we were seated along the main path from the kitchen to the restaurant and this led to a lot of hustle-and-bustle nearby.

• Visited August 2013
pittsburgh
“Not so great for the price”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I like Big Burrito Group restaurants, since they are mostly gluten-free friendly. We just ate dinner with friends. The two pasta dishes were excellent (gnocci and pasta with lobster mushrooms.) However, two of us had swordfish and it was mediocre - didn't really taste fresh and was overcooked. It tasted like it was cooked yesterday and reheated. It came with a very salty chard and tomato vegetable side. Gave me heartburn, since it was very acid. It was supposed to come with polenta, but for reasons that don't make sense, they coated their polenta with breadcrumbs. Come on. There are few enough gluten free options and breadcrumbs can't add much. I often get polenta at local restaurants. They did give me a choice of sides and I chose the squash blossom risotto, which is really a main course. It was good, but uni-dimensional - just tasted like cheese. I would have been really disappointed if I'd gotten this as a main course. I also ate lunch here several months ago and I thought the prices were very high and my entree then was okay but not great. We will go to other local restaurants we like much better and skip Casbah.

• Visited August 2013