“Lunch and Dinner at Cafe Sam”
Review of Cafe Sam

Cafe Sam
Ranked #212 of 2,167 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Melbourne, Florida
“Lunch and Dinner at Cafe Sam”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Staying at the Courtyard by Marriott in Shadyside, the front desk recommended the adjacent Café Sam for dining based on my request for a cozy restaurant, with an enticing menu, quality food and responsive service during a recent two day business trip to Pittsburgh. The restaurant delivered on every request and it was one of the friendliest places we had visited in some time. We are on the road about 80 days a year. The house wines were quality vintage; notably, they were most generous in the allocation of wine per glass. The meal was delicious, it was prepared with an attention to detail and then promptly served. We were compelled to dine there twice as the food and ambience were delightful. Café Sam has our seal of approval and we look forward to a return visit.
General and Mrs. L

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank JSL901

Cornwall On Hudson, New York
“On e Again Outstanding!”
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Man, I wish this restaurant were in our home town! We go out of our way on trips to the Midwest to be able to enjoy dinner here. Everything about the place is A+. Tonight's waitress, Korinne, admitted this was her second night here (she is finishing her first year at Pitt). she was wonderful! Hubby had wonderful pecan crusted tilapia and I had duck breast with peppercorn and cognac cream sauce...to,die for! These people know how to run a successful restaurant!

Visited April 2014
Monroeville, Pennsylvania
“Special Occasion/Any Occasion”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Took my wife, son, and his girlfriend to Café Sam for my wife’s birthday and could not have been more pleased. The decor is inviting and the staff is very friendly, extremely knowledgeable, and so very helpful. In addition to our order, Café Sam brought to our table several tasty surprises of both food and drink.

We started out with Calamari, which we all agreed was the best we have ever had. My son ordered the Fried Zucchini w/Panko crust, which he completely enjoyed, and his girlfriend had the French Onion Soap which she enjoyed and it looked wonderful. Our dinners consisted of pasta, fish, seafood, and steak selections which everyone was very pleased with what they ordered. Each came with a choice of some every interesting and tasty sides. Additionally, we split several deserts, also excellent. All this and a wonderful bottle from a good wine selection and ending with Café Sam special tasty cookies which is offered up to all dinner guest, made this a special birthday event dinner.

My wife could have picked most any restaurant in the Pittsburgh area, and she chose Café Sam because it has never ever disappointed.

Thanks again Sam!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank 1600Penn
Unadilla, New York
“Lovely for lunch”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I can only review Cafe Sam as a lunch place, but it's excellent for that. The interior is bright and airy, with some interesting art on the walls. The service is attentive and pleasant. I had a salad topped with grilled salmon and my friend had the Caesar salad with cod. They were both very good. The portions are large, but not off-putting. The coffee is excellent, and the pear tart we shared for dessert was also quite good. Prices are reasonable. This restaurant is located close to West Penn and Shadyside Hospitals.

• Visited February 2014
Homestead, Pennsylvania
“Great get-away spot!”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I wanted to do something nice for Café Sam because the restaurant has always been good to us. My husband and I live in a few neighborhoods over and eat at the restaurant regularly. The location is convenient and parking good, but most importantly, when we go we feel as if we are on a mini vacation get-away. Valentine’s Day dinner was no exception. When we walked in the door Dan, the host, was there greeting us with a smile. (He also always provides friendly back up service during our dinners to supplement the attentive wait staff.) My husband and I were seated in a cozy corner of the dining room with a view of all of the other romantic couples celebrating Valentine’s Day. Tasty complimentary appetizers were passed around while we looked over the special menu for the night and ordered drinks. Already I felt like I was a million miles away from home! Fried calamari and pierogies came for our first course, followed by cabbage soup – the best soup I’ve ever had! My husband even liked it and he isn’t much of a soup-eater. Our main courses came at just the right time - chicken marsala and salmon with general tsos sauce. Sides of collard greens and sweet potatoes were absolutely delicious and satisfying. I could have easily ended the night there, but then came a variety of desserts, champagne, and chocolate covered strawberries to top it all off. I was in heaven… Well, no. Actually, I was in Pittsburgh and feeling lucky to have a wonderful neighborhood restaurant right down the street from home. Thank you Café Sam for giving us the best mini vacation get-away!

• Visited February 2014