“Best Italian in the Burg”

Centi Anni Alla Famiglia
Ranked #57 of 2,204 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Let me start out by saying that we rarely look to dining out for Italian food. We have found that to find quality Italian worthy of spending $$ outside of our own home has been difficult to find in the Burg. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of Italian restaurants out there, but none we would seek out for a special occasion, so to speak. We have always found the New York/New Jersey establishments more to our liking....until now.

Alla Famiglia is nestled in a not so nice of a neighborhood in the Burg called Allentown. Although we were never worried, but I could see how some may feel it is out of place in it's location. There is valet parking, so need to worry about your car while dining. Now once you are inside, you will soon forget where you are.

The inside is very small and there are 3 floors where you may be seated for your meal. On this occassion, we were seated on the third floor. Way up, climbing 3 flights of stairs can work up an appetite. Once on the 3rd level however, you can enjoy some of the religious artwork and beautiful stainglass featured throughout the dining area. There were 5 tables of various sizes and the bonus was the private restroom located nearby, so you did not have to manage the steps again until you were finished with your meal.

I would also like to mention that we were dining early and although the room was rather private at first, it became QUITE loud as the evening went on and other patrons were being seated. I also think the free flowing wine helped the noise levels as the night progressed. Needless to say, we had difficulty hearing one another towards the end of the meal.

There were 5 in our party and our server was very attentive throughout the night to make sure any requests or special customizations were welcomed and met. We started our meal with the complimentary bread, dipping oils, goat cheese spread and cheese medley brought to the table. We all agreed to share the famous 12 oz stuffed meatball which was enjoyed by everyone at the table. In fact, everyone was asking for more of the wonderful sauce to accompany thier bread.

Several items are served family style and come with any of the entrees that are ordered. We were then delivered and very tasty salad tossed with a light vinegarette which included olives, nuts and cranberries. Gorgonzola was brought on the side if desired. Then the pasta with vodka sauce made it's arrival. Several mentioned that they would have just ordered this if they knew how delicious it was. And this was just the beginning....

On came the entrees, several veal dishes were ordered, as it is their signature item on the menu. Although there were also many specials offered that night, everyone seemed to gear towards the classics. I ordered the veal marsala, which was delish! It was certainly one of the best I have had. One member of our dining party ordered the special pork chop offered that was huge! Another entree ordered was the filet mignon topped with lump crab meat and gorgonzola cream sauce. It literally melted in your mouth! I decided this would definitely be ordered on my next visit. All the food was cooked perfectly to order and scrumptious!

We were all pretty full but decided to share the Burnt almond tiramisu stuffed with raspberry for dessert. It was divine! I swear I heard the angels in the nearby painting sing as we devoured it!

As others had mentioned, it is a bit pricey, but for special occassions it is a must do. I felt it was quite worth every penny of our bill which was $306 for the party of 5. (We did BYOB) We have dined at much more expensive establishments and left unimpressed, which was not the case at all here.

The only negative was the long walk down the steps through the many other diners after too much wine. It can be challenging! So, watch your step! But do make a visit, you won't be disappointed!

Reviewed 20 January 2014

What a fabulous restaurant! The food was superb! We started our dinner with Escarole and Beans. The spicy Italian sausage in this dish was an added bonus! We used our bread to soak up what remained in the bowl! The salad dressing alone is worth the trip to the restaurant! They're famous for their Big Meatball but the Veal Chop was unbelievable! We also had the Lamb Loin. Lots of sharing happened at our table. The Pistachio Pie and Cheesecake were perfect. I was shocked we had room for dessert! I can't wait to go back!!!!!

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Centi Anni Alla Famiglia is very hard to find but well worth it. It is a family run restaurant on the upper slopes of the Southside. All of the entrees are made fresh to order and the menu is updated daily.
I had the veal chop (the specialty of the restaurant) - all I can say is WOW!! This is the most delicious preparation of veal that I have ever eaten (and I am an unofficial aficionado of veal)!! The only thing that is daunting is the size of the cut (did I hear "Flintstones"?!). In any event, you can feel free to share with your dining mate, or enjoy for several days as it does heat over quite well.
If you live in Pittsburgh, or just visiting and love great food, you should try and experience this restaurant. Just a note - as Alla Famiglia is very small and has limited seating you're going to need to plan ahead and make reservations!

Reviewed 17 November 2013

My wife & I travel to Pittsburgh every year with three other couples for a get a way weekend and my wife is always asked to select the restaurant for Saturday night. We have been doing this for 10 years and have eaten at some very excellent Pittsburgh eateries but All Famiglia was the best so far. From making the reservation (and we recommend a reservation), to the parking, decor, incredible menu, fantastic service (Thank You Lindsey), it was all good. We all agreed that we ate some of the best food EVER and we continued to talk about the great food and dining experience most of the following day. If you want to experience an authentic Italian meal with out making the 12 hour flight to Roma, then make reservations at All Famiglia. Grazi!

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Went to celebrate a new job with my parents and wife. Really enjoyed the meal, everything was so good from beginning to end. Everyone really enjoyed their meals, and the size of the meals where huge, so was able to enjoy it again the next day. I will be back and well worth the money.