“A Mt Lebo staple comes to the city.”
Review of Pizzaiolo Primo

Pizzaiolo Primo
Reserve with OpenTable
Pizzaiolo Primo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #60 of 2,209 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Market Square and Forbes Ave.
Transit: Gateway LTR
Description: Welcome to IL Pizzaiolo, home of truly authentic Neapolitan Cuisine. IL Pizzaiolo roots trace back to Pittsburgh circa 1996, with an original credo: create Neapolitan pizza and other authentic dishes using old-world techniques and the highest quality ingredients available. More than a decade later, we still make everything on our menu the authentic Neapolitan way: From our hand-made sweet fennel sausage, meatballs, and fresh pasta, to our fresh mozzarella and antipasto vegetables. If it isn’t hand-made, it’s imported from only the finest artisans, cheesemakers, and Salumeria. Our Mozzarella di Bufala is imported directly from Naples. We cook only Pasta di Gragnano – the finest dried pasta in the world – always to order, always al dente. We bake our authentic Neapolitan Pizzas at 1000° in our handcrafted, wood-fired brick oven for 90 seconds using DOP San Marzano tomatoes and extra virgin olive oil on our perfectly leavened dough. The result is in an authentic Neapolitan culinary experience with integrity. Buon appetito!
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I really love this place for both appetizers and drinks. Their entrees are great as well but it's a great place for drinks with friends or a nice romantic night out. So happy they are in the city now !!!

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Had a beer in the upstairs bar area before our table was ready downstairs. Bar was great and tenders were fast and friendly. The place is kind of small but doesn't seem cramped. Friday night crowd was good but no sardine feeling. Calamari app was sensational and waitress was very helpful with wine selection. Both had pasta dinners that were full of flavor and beautifully prepared. A new favorite spot when we visit Pittsburgh.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We live in Mt Lebo and frequently go to Il Pizzaiolo. We've never had a bad meal or bad service. It looks like the Market Square location is going to do just as well.

I'll note two minor negatives and then move on. We had lunch reservations (glad we made them for a Sunday at 1:00 as the place was packed), but I was not pleased with our table. It was located just inside the front door so all the traffic in and out was distracting. The table was also entirely too small for four people to dine. I was tempted to put the bread basket on the floor just to try to make room!

That said, our waitress (Kristin/Christine--sorry I didn't write it down) was wonderful. She has a great personality and was fun. She explained anything we asked, checked with us as needed and enticed us with a glimpse of a cannoli (Don't skip this dessert!).

The food was equally as tasty as what we've always been served in Mt Lebo. I had the Bucatini (pasta with mouth-melting swordfish); my husband had Paccheri (pasta with calamari) and our guest had Lasagna and Gnocchi and enjoyed every bite.

Well done, Il Pizzaiolo!

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Spur of the moment choice on a busy Saturday night in Market Square. Did not have reservations so the wait was about 30 minutes in a pleasant bar on the second floor. Even the drink and beer menu was a bit intimidating as they over do the Italian with little in the way of translations. That said, bartender was very helpful and knowledgeable. My son and his wife who were in Italy recently were very pleased with familiar offerings. Once seated our waitress (Lindsay) was attentive and very helpful. We shared appetizers and very unique pizzas. Also had gnocci that was excellent. The Quatto Formaggi pizza had generous portions of 4 cheeses with one being an excellent gorganzola. It was a little strong for some but I felt it was just what a pizza with a strong cheese should be. Although it was pricey, considering the atmosphere and location (busy, vibrant downtown locale) I felt it was fair.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

If you want authentic Neapolitan Pizza this is the place to go in Pittsburgh. Lovers of true Margheritas living in the city had to endure a pilgrimage to its homonymous restaurant in Mount Lebanon until this Market Square location opened. It was a hike and if you are a Pittsburgher you know that crossing rivers is usually a pain, but I have done it at times and it has always been well worth the time and the traffic of route 51. This newer downtown location is a real perk. Pizzas are absolutely delicious. From the appetizers I love the "arancine", a Sicilian fried comfort food which also rivals that of the motherland. I particularly like the outdoor seating area that allows to experience downtown city action. Overall, not to be missed if you are a pizza connoisseur.