“A taste of Mexican in Pittsburgh” 4 of 5 bubbles

Casa Reyna
Ranked #336 of 2,141 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“A taste of Mexican in Pittsburgh”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I went here with my book club after spending some time searching for a good Mexican place in Pittsburgh that was local, authentic, and good for groups. Casa Reyna seemed like a good choice, and it was! Located beneath Reyna Foods in the Strip District, it can be a little hard to find (I walked right past it at first) but the phrase "hidden gem" certainly fits here! The food is delicious, tastes authentic, and the prices were quite reasonable. There was a plentiful selection of beers and alcohol, and a variety of appetizers and salsas (some of which are very SPICY). I recommend the tacos, which are Mexican style (not topped with lettuce, cheese, and sour cream) and have a selection of fillings to choose from.

Definitely stop here if you're exploring the Strip!

1 Thank Julie H

Centerville, Pa
“Tastes Pretty Authentic to This Gringo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

On a tip from a friend, I decided to lunch at Casa Reyna in Pittsburgh's Strip District, home to all sorts of colorful food and craft vendors. I had just toured the Heinz Regional History Center and worked up quite an appetite. I almost missed Reyna's entrance to its basement restaurant. A young chap was on the street working at a grill serving ready made tacos, which distracted me. Once inside, the place is quite charming and colorful. My companion and I started out meal with home made tortilla chips - the best ever - "made fresh daily, almost hourly" said our waiter. For three dollars you get an entire cone of chips (much like Belgian pommes frites and a choice of two salsas - (We chose the spicy mango and a habanero of the ten or so available). Being a lamb freak, I ordered two lamb tacos while my companion tried two with beef. Mine came with a neat salsa verde in a silver ramekin along with a choice of black beans, frijoles or rice and beans. My two soft tacos were full of tender lamb and filling. My companion said the two beef tacos were equally tender. From what little food we tried, I would say the food is authentic (I used to live in California and toured New Mexico several times, so I have a grasp on authentic Mexican to some degree). We both want to go bak, me for the chile rellenos - one stuffed with cheese another stuffed with meats.
For tequila lovers, there are more than 30 brands to choose from along with several Mexican beers. Several of the tequiilas are very pricy and you can order a flight of your choice and pay accordingly.

1 Thank travelfreak31
Freedom, Pennsylvania
“Mexican Hideaway. ..The Real Deal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

Be careful otherwise you'll miss this authentic Mexican...not TexMex..in the basement of Reyna's Mexican grocery at the corner of 23rd and Penn. Go downstairs to savor the varied regional cooking of Mexico at very affordable prices.Great selection of Mexican beers, tequilas, and soft drinks. Wonderful atmosphere and very friendly service..especially Beatriz.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great Find in the Strip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

I was pleasantly surprised by Casa Reyna. The food was really good and I thought the prices were very reasonable. I also ordered a Sangria and it was enough for two! The atmosphere is neat with long wooden tables. Staff was friendly and helpful. I will definitely return and bring the family.

• Visited April 2014
Martinsburg, West Virginia
“Great, authentic Mexican food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

My family and I went to Casa Reyna for a late lunch, early dinner. We really enjoyed the food, it's real Mexican! My family and I spent time in Mexico City previously and, contrary to most Mexican restaurants, not all Mexican food is served with rice and beans and wrapped in a tortilla. Casa Reyna gives you a much more authentic Mexican experience. The food was delicious! I had the special which was a molcajete del mar (sea food cooked in a mortar made of lava rock), it was just like what I'd eaten in Mexico City, even down to the cactus! I had never seen this served in the US. The salsa sampler was delicious and fun to try various salsas. The entire family loved the horchata!

There were a couple minor hiccups with service, things forgotten and such, but I can overlook them because the server and manager (who checked on us periodically) were very friendly and apologetic.

I did think the prices were slightly high, most of the meals were around $15 and the appetizers were around $8-10. Our meal averaged about $25/person.

I would definitely recommend trying Casa Reyna. The store upstairs is great also! They have lots of hard-to-find Mexican food, homemade tortillas (which we bought and are delicious!), and nice pinatas for parties.

• Visited March 2014