“Impeccable service, outstanding food, beautiful room”
Review of The Inn on Negley

The Inn on Negley
Ranked #1 of 11 Pittsburgh B&B and Inns
Buffalo, New York
“Impeccable service, outstanding food, beautiful room”
Reviewed 15 August 2012

This is an amazing inn with a superior staff. If I could rank it higher than 5 stars, I would. I have absolutely nothing but positive remarks about our stay at the Inn at Negley.

Generally, the most important considerations for me when deciding on a place to stay is the cleanliness and maintenance of the accommodations and the safety of the area in which the place is located. This Inn met those requirements. I was relieved to have finally decided on a place to stay, but when I tried to reserve on short notice for that weekend, the Inn on Negley was booked. Thankfully and surprisingly, they use an online waitlist (I hadn't seen that reservation feature before), because my waitlist came through! I received an email message and a phone call that a room had become available, due to a cancellation. The staff members with whom I spoke on the phone were professional, friendly, and helpful. They seemed genuinely pleased to be able to offer me a room. In addition to the email confirmation of my reservation, I received helpful information regarding restaurants and other things to do in the Pittsburgh area.

Using our GPS and pre-printed directions, it was easy to get to the Inn, once we navigated our way through a poorly marked city detour that was not indicated on GPS or online directions. Parking was designated behind the Inn for overnight guests. The walk up the back steps to the entrance was lined with large flowering plants and was beautiful. The staff received us warmly and offered to help us with our luggage and show us to our room. The Inn, itself, is lovely. The furnishings are true antiques and nice reproductions, and included paintings by some local artists.

Oh my goodness....the room! Our room, the Cortland Suite, was perfect for our needs. It had climate control with air conditioning, a gas fireplace, king size, carved four post bed with steps on both sides, two comfy chairs with an ottoman, and both an antique writing desk and ladies' vanity. To the right of the desk was a small dressing area and a large closet with a full-length mirror and mini fridge. The high ceiling in the bathroom was accented by a beautiful chandelier. An antique headboard was mounted on the wall above the bathroom sink. I had never seen that before, and it made the open wall space more special. The shower was complete with a large soaking/jacuzzi tub. I was so pleased to see L'Occitane guest toilettries available in the bathroom. The linens throughout the room and bathroom were plush. I have to get those pillows. I slept like a princess, the bed being extremely comfortable. I was also very happy to be able to control the temperature in the room myself, as I tend to like to sleep with the temp on the cool side. I was not bothered by noise from any other room or the street. In the morning, it was nice to be able to open all of the wooden shutters on the wall of windows, which flooded the room with filtered light. There was plenty of storage space for our belongings in both the bathroom and the bedroom. I was happy to see three luggage stands, too.

The service was impeccable. Each member of the staff was friendly and so helpful. We made some last-minute requests, and some that I thought would not garner a positive response. There was no request that we made that was not received positively and with a "yes!" The staff went out of their way to make our stay at the Inn on Negley and our first trip to Pittsburgh so special and memorable. From the friendly check-in, to the turn-down service, to the daily room cleaning, to the food and staff service, to the comfortable bed and fluffy towels, to check-out it was all wonderful. No detail was lost on me. I felt appreciated as a guest. We were told at check-in that we should feel that this was our home for the weekend, and we truly did feel at home.

The staff offered to make dining reservations for us and printed out directions to our destinations. Brochures and local magazines are available for guests, in addition to books, board games, and videos. Our room had wi-fi, a larger flat screen tv, and a BOSE alarm clock. There may have been a dvd player in the room, too, but I can't remember. I don't think the owners have spared any exense on the details.

The food was delicious. Each evening we made our breakfast selection on a card, which we placed in a basket in the dining room. Breakfast consisted of a fresh fruit salad, baked scone or something similar, cereal or granola, yogurt, fruit juice, gourmet coffees and teas, and a hot entree. The hot entrees were unique and wonderful. They were dishes I probably couldn't make at home, but would like to. Albert, the chef, kindly shared a recipe with me, so that I could make an attempt at home. On short notice, we asked if he could make us a picnic lunch to take with us that afternoon. He was so kind and accommodating. The lunch was exactly what we had hoped for and was so good. Albert was wonderfully professional and prepared excellent meals. After such a long drive to get to the Inn the first day, it was nice to arrive to a glass of wine, cheeses, salami and crackers, and fresh-baked cookies. These treats were available in the late afternoon for overnight guests of the Inn, but we noticed other guests arriving for high tea earlier in the afternoon. A large selection of coffee and tea was always available for the overnight guests.

We had the opportunity to check out some of the other rooms, and we were not disappointed in what we saw. Each room is unique and comfortable in size. No two rooms are the same, but the Braeburn Suite on the first floor was most similar to our Cortland Suite of the rooms we were able to see.

There was so much to do in Pittsburgh and the surrounding area, and we definitely didn't have enough time there. We will return to Pittsburgh, and we will only stay at the Inn on Negley. I can't recommend it highly enough.

I have included some pictures of the room, which were taken with my phone, and show the room as darker than it really was.

Room Tip: Each room was unique and special.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank joyousmoments

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Our visit to the Inn on Negley with friends was the highlight of our Pittsburgh visit. We had come to Pittsburgh to visit the college three of the four of us attended and to tramp around the old neighborhood in which our wives lived while working after graduating. The staff welcomed us with smiles and attention. Their service was impeccable; their attitude friendly and helpful. The Braeburn Suite is spacious and well decorated with classic pieces. The bathroom is tile and marble with a large shower. Very, very comfortable. The room faces onto the street but the curtains and shutters combine to completely void any concerns we initially had with potential traffic noise. There was none. The breakfasts, ordered the previous evening, were generous and delicious. Off-street parking just adds to the convenience of staying at the Inn on Negley.

The Inn is also a 5-minute walk to Shadyside with it's eclectic collection of bars, restaurants, groceries and clothing stores. A great place to get ice cream after dinner and before retiring to the Inn on Negley for a good night's sleep.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Bayahibe, Dominican Republic
Reviewed 29 July 2012

What a lovely place! Ideal location to downtown and the universities nearby. First time to both the Inn and Pittsburgh and we were delighted on both accounts. Breakfast choices are declared the night before, so there are no surprises. The atmosphere is graceful, peaceful and attentive. The patio, even though it includes the smokers, is wonderful. Good off street parking and an easy walk to Walnut Street for shopping and dining.

Room Tip: Third floor walk up the stairs could be a problem for some.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We stay at this Inn whenever we are in Pittsburgh to visit family. I almost hesitate to write a review because it will make this place even more popular and even more difficult to secure a reservation. It truly feels like home to us because we have gotten to know the staff and they always ask about our family, encourage us to bring them to the Inn to enjoy the beautiful living room and/or have breakfast with us.
The rooms are incredibly comfortable -- and by now, we have been in many of them. The breakfasts are sumptuous. What I love is that the staff is all friendly, helpful, and great -- but they are not overbearing like those in other bed and breakfasts where we have stayed. If you are ever in Pittsburgh, there is no reason why you should stay anywhere else!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BillScottsdale
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 May 2012

What a great alternative to obvious choices just a few minutes away downtown. Ideally situated for visiting the many colleges close by. Beyond the geographical niceties, the inn works flawlessly from beginning to end. A welcome bottle of Bordeaux just moments after situating in the readily available inn parking, Pastries, juices, teas and coffees of all variety beautifully presented with fine china, glassware and antique serving pieces stylishly set out to complement the traditional decor--and available at all hours.

Lydia welcomed us and couldn't do enough to make sure that we were comfortable, make our reservations for dinner, confirm the Phipps opening time the following day and to pinpoint instantly the Incline parking lot on Carson for a quick ride up Mt. Washington to have a look back at the city. Breakfast like royalty in our room or in the dining room; high tea in the afternoon if we liked.

The facility itself is meticulously restored and reoriented for its life today. Original detail is restored and extended in kind where appropriate and rooms outfitted in very nicely done furnishings capturing the essence of the period. The craftsmanship and attention to detail are noteworthy and the premises spotlessly clean and fresh.

Despite a setting in an active city neighborhood, once inside we felt in a world all our own, at an oasis of tranquility, enveloped by the richness of woods, fabrics and appointments reflecting life existing in another time.

Room Tip: The Braeburn on the first floor is great...dining and living rooms feel like part of yours. The roo...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 10 May 2012

No place compares to The Inn on Negley. We have stayed at the Inn several times and it is just like coming home except the food is much better! Highly recommend the service and the rooms.The owner and the staff could not be nicer or more accomodating. The rooms are gorgeous and the beds are comfortable. Shadyside is a fun part of the City and you can walk to restaurants or shops.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ryan304
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 9 May 2012

The Inn is a wonderful place to feel at once a part of Pittsburgh history yet with all the comforts of today. The main street of Shadyside is an easy walk from the Inn and is fun to stroll, with many dining options. The staff is attentive and thoughtful and make you feel welcome as soon as you arrive. The uniqueness of each room make it a challenge to pick one! I will definitely look forward to a return stay.

Room Tip: The largest room is the Braeburn. It offers handicap access, is on the main floor and in the newer...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family