“Amazing Gluten Free Afternoon (high) Tea” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Inn on Negley

The Inn on Negley
Ranked #1 of 10 Pittsburgh B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Amazing Gluten Free Afternoon (high) Tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I am gluten intolerant but love afternoon tea (or high tea) with scones and sandwiches. My husband and I tried the gluten free version of the Inn on Negley's tea service and had a wonderful afternoon.

The beautiful room in which tea was served was warm and cozy on a winter afternoon. Service was exceptional. Our teapots were refilled and we were given fresh cups when we decided to try a different tea.

The food (gluten free finger sandwiches, scones, and mini sweets) was outstanding, everything fresh and delicious. This was our Valentine's Day celebration, and one of our servers was kind enough to take our photo. We highly recommend and look forward to going back.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MSC73
Innonnegley, Manager at The Inn on Negley, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for trying our gluten free high tea! We are always trying to improve our ability to meet our customers' needs, including dietary restrictions. Gluten free baking has been a big challenge for us as we see an ever increasing demand for it. Glad to know that we are living up to the challenge! Thanks again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

We stayed for two nights in the Green Apple Suite. The room was ready on time and very clean. The host showed us around and I reminded him that I have a nut allergy. He assured me the kitchen staff was already informed. The bed was comfortable but the inn uses radiator heating and it took about two hours for the room to cool down after I adjusted the radiator. Also, the walls next to the other guests are very thin and we could hear everything that our neighbors were up to. I am a light sleeper so I put my earplugs in. The two breakfasts we had were OK, but both times they brought me bread with nuts in it. Also, they made pumpkin pancakes but they were raw in the middle. They offered a replacement but by then we had to get going. They were friendly and kept apologizing, but I feel like something was just off. We will be trying a different B&B next time.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank David C
Innonnegley, Manager at The Inn on Negley, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thank you for your review. We are glad that you found your room to be exceptionally clean and comfortable. But it is very unfortunate that your stay was not as perfect as it should have been. If you decide to stay with us in the future, we do have rooms with central air/heating instead of steam heat radiators. We can also recommend some quieter rooms for you. As for our mistakes with your breakfast, we really cannot apologize enough and we are truly sorry.
Pittsburgh PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

The Inn at Negley is a wonderful old Victorian B&B-- and their afternoon high tea (reservations required) is a "must". Went there today with a group of 5 women to celebrate an upcoming wedding. The tea selection is amazing... the food is delicious and elegant (finger sandwiches, scones, fruit, and a selection of desserts)... and the service is friendly and impeccable. We'd arranged for a bottle of champagne, and it appeared promptly and was served well. And the price? $20 per person. Just remarkable. Can't believe I haven't been there before-- and can't recommend it highly enough!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Godmother12
Vero Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

Very clean rooms,Very nice people,and Very good breakfast. My wife and my self could not asked for anything better and would recommend this Inn and will be staying there again next time we are in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bradsmart6
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

I was in Pittsburgh with my mother in law and my younger daughter to visit my older daughter and her fiancé. We all had breakfast at The Inn on Negley. It was a wonderful experience. Of course we first asked if we wanted coffee - one of my daughters asked for hot chocolate. I was a little surprised when we were informed that it would be an extra charge. However, when it came out I understood why -and would recommend it to any hot chocolate lover! It was a carafe of hot chocolate that the waitress poured over a chocolate lattice. Homemade marshmallows and fresh whipped cream came on the side.
Next came the fruit cups and pastry. Typically I do not order fruit cups for breakfast because most restaurants' fruit cups have primarily melons and grapes - not here! Fresh orange and grapefruit sections, apple, raspberry and I forget what else - it was very good! The pastry was also very good - I wish I had been able to take some of the scones with me!
I ordered their frittata special - it was amazing! Really, I am still thinking about it. Several of the group ordered the French toast with apples special. They said it was good but not the best they've ever had. The service through out the meal was very good. We were all pleasantly surprised when after clearing out plates the server came out with fresh forks. Dessert for breakfast? YES - and it was the perfect ending - just a small piece of a chocolate pastry.

I am sure that when I travel to Pittsburgh again reservations for high tea will be made!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

My extended family took over the Inn over the weekend of my niece's wedding. We could not have asked for a nicer spot. The inn is so charming - love the period feel of the old house & furnishings. The staff were so friendly and helpful and understanding of our group of crazy people trying to coordinate multiple events & locations. The breakfast was amazing - best French toast I've had in ages, lovely fresh fruit, the omelets looked delicious and judging by how quickly they were devoured, tasted delicious as well. Having tea, wine & goodies waiting for us at the end of the 8 hour trip to get to Pittsburgh was a nice treat.

The rooms were spacious with cozy period furnishings. The bathroom was clean & large & Jacuzzi tub was a nice feature.

Easy walking to shopping. Finding the Inn initially was a bit of a challenge as we had not been to Pittsburgh before, but one we had our bearings, the location was great. I found driving in Pittsburgh a challenge so GPS would be strongly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank HSC458
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

These guys are top notch. Service is over the top, as are the accommodations. But best of all is breakfast made to order. Great location in easy walking distance to shopping and restaurants/bars. You can't go wrong.

Stayed September 2013