“better than home, just not as large”
Review of The Inn on Negley

The Inn on Negley
Ranked #1 of 11 Pittsburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 February 2009

My wife and I have stayed at the Inn on Negley several times over the past two years. The owner, Liz Sullivan, and her staff treat us as though we are part of the family. Afternoon tea, hot chocolate service, wine on the sideboard later, fantastic breakfasts, and smiles from everyone who works there. What a treat. Better than home. Excellent food, service, and peace and quiet. In a great walking neighborhood. Recommended highly: far better than cookie-cutter motels and hotels. (I wanted to move into the place, but my wife said "No.") Try it; it can be addictive.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 December 2008

My son was attending the Carnegie Mellon Uni. Sleeping Bag Wkend as a Senior. The Inn on Negley was VERY close!! I had my mother with me and we had an awesome time. When we arrived hot apple cider and cake from the sideboard were waiting for us. We stayed in the Arkansas Apple Room with lovely twin beds which were 'just right'. For dinner we were able to walk to a wonderful restaurant -Girasole. Excellent Italian and not the pasta house type place. www.girasolepgh.com We had a grand walk home (great shops along the way). The Arkansas was delightful. Excellent and clean, beautiful appointments, books to browse through,and a snuggle down bed, We were able to open the windows and enjoy the cool evening air. Wonderful bathroom and shower with fragrance shampoo, soap and lotion. Breakfast was delicious and leisurely. I loved the presentation and the coffee, We are difinately looking forward to coming back again. I hope my son gets into CMU, if not I will come back for a get away weekend with my hubbie!!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2008

My husband and I are frequent visitors of this tucked away gem in the heart of Shadyside. The atmosphere at the Inn on Negley is so serene--it is easy to leave all your worries behind once you cross the threshold. The plaster work on the first floor is amazing--the plaster moldings on the ceiling in the dining room are spectacular. I have toured all the guest rooms--all are professionally decorated in period furnishings. I particularly like the first room guest room which features a four poster canopy bed and large bathroom.
The food at the inn is great--chefs Albert and Jackie do a wonderful afternoon tea; a little secret is that if you call ahead, they can prepare breakfast for you even if you are not staying at the inn.
Innkeeper Liz is an absolute delight--she will cater to your every whim. Whether you are dropping by for afternoon tea or staying overnight, she will ensure that your time at the inn is memorable.
I miss this splendid retreat and can't wait to go back...

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank buttersup
Reviewed 31 August 2008

We stayed at the Inn on Negley for 3 nights so that we could visit Pittsburgh. The Inn is very nice and comfortable (We had the Granny Smith Room). Although 2 of the 3 days we were there some of the rooms on the ground floor (dining rooms) had been rented out to non guests for which was a suprise but didnt inconvenience our stay.

Getting into Pittsburgh was easy enough, the staff were shocked that we weren't going to drive and that we wanted to use the bus. I'd recommend the bus ($2 each way), its only a 2 minute walk down the road to get to the bus lane. When you catch a bus on the bus lane, as there is no other traffic it gets to its destination FAST!.

A 2 minute walk fro the Inn takes you to Walnut street where its like a small town centre. There are plenty of shops to browse and there a numerous places to eat. We ate at Sady Grove and the Walnut Grill both of which were very good

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GBains
Reviewed 27 August 2008

We stayed at the Inn on Negley, in April 2008 and again in June, after staying in a couple of other Select Registry Inns. On our first visit we were seeking a luxurious hotel with excellent service that would allow us to escape very hectic, demanding jobs. The inn surpassed all expectations. We stayed in the Empire Suite. It is even more beautiful and comfortable than the pictures suggest. The bathroom is huge and impeccably designed. The rooms are immaculate. The furniture is both beautiful and functional. Liz, the owner, has thought of every possible detail you could ask for.

For the most part, we were treated like royalty. Marcie couldn't have been more welcoming and accommodating on the night of our arrival. Liz and Lizzie made sure each evening that we knew about and had reservations at the best restaurants in town. (I highly, highly recommend the Casbah!) On our second visit, we attended a wedding. I wanted a pedicure beforehand and all of the local salons were booked solid. I mentioned my frustration to Albert at breakfast and he reappeared a few minutes later to tell me I had a pedicure appointment at noon (at a salon that I'd called and been told had no openings).

Many of the rooms were open at various times during our first visit (we stayed four nights) and we were able to see each of them. All of the rooms are beautiful. We would be happy in any room (and I am extremely picky).

Breakfasts were great. Albert makes the best poached eggs ever (and will even share his secret to great poached eggs, if you ask).

Aside from the hotel, Shadyside is a great place to stay in Pittsburgh: great shopping, close to everything, etc!

We will return to the Inn on Negley again and again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank vanessa1130
Reviewed 21 October 2007

I stayed at the Inn (actually called the Appletree on some of their signs) at the recommendation of Carnegie Mellon University while my child was at a CM program. I filled out the Inn's online reservation form to find out what the CM discount was, since the Unversity's materials indicated that the Inn gave a discount. The reservation form also stated that giving a credit card number was optional. Anyway, this led to several emails asking for my card number, and my responding back asking for their discount. They finally responded that they don't give discounts, but then sent a couple more emails and left a voicemail for me, leading me to wonder how efficient/coordinated their office staff was. Arriving at the Inn in the dark, the lady checking me in was very helpful, so I was feeling good about the place. The Pippin room was a very stylishly furnished room and big bath. In the morning, the breakfast was good, not fabulous. However, the staff was not very friendly. Carnegie Mellon had told parents that there was no parking on campus and that local hotels would shuttle parents in for the programs, but since no one was on duty at the Inn's desk until 9:30, I tried to find out about a shuttle or how to get to campus. The cook said something about taking a public bus several blocks away or standing in front to wait for the CM shuttle, but didn't know anything more. After waiting out front for a while, I asked a cleaning person entering the Inn if she knew about the shuttle. She did call and give me some more info. But basically, I assumed that an advantage of staying at a B&B was getting more personal service, yet I didn't feel that I got that. It turned out the the CM shuttle did stop at the front of the Inn (there were no signs), but this could have been mentioned in all the Inn's literature, since surely they get a certain number of University-related visitors. For the fairly high price, I didn't feel that I got my money's worth.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
5  Thank TheVirginian
Reviewed 24 August 2007

My wife and I stayed at the inn for two nights in early July and were we ever surprised. We had never been to Pittsburgh and didn't know what to expect.

We chose the Inn on Negley because of the reviews here and the location (close to museums and Phipps Conservatory). The room was very nicely decorated and comfortable. The breakfasts were really good (especially the sour cream waffles). The staff was friendly and professional and the owner helped us a great deal on the day we were leaving with directions and suggestions.

We were able to walk to most locations we wanted to see as well as some very good restaurants. ShadySide has a very nice little shopping area and they have outdoor events there as well.

I would highly recomment this inn as well as this location to anyone.

Stayed: July 2007