“Outstanding service”

Silk Elephant
Ranked #330 of 2,160 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Squirrel Hill South
Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
“Outstanding service”
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

Very good food, really nice attentive service, pleasant atmosphere. Liked the pumpkin soup and the desserts - coconut ice cream and taro cake. Prices were fair.

Visited November 2013

Longmont,CO
“The 2000lb Silk Elephant in the room, No Service, No Good Excuse”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This past August I had to be in Pittsburgh, my home town, to visit my mother and take care of some grievous family business. The one night I got to share dinner with some old friends we decided to go the Silk Elephant a relatively new restaurant in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood at 1712 Murray Avenue. We were all looking forward to getting caught up over a sumptuous meal.
The decor was extremely well done, though our table in the bar area was a bit cramped. I was only having an appetizer and a glass of wine, as I had had a late lunch, my friends both order full on meals with drinks and appetizers also. The waitress was curt and seemed annoyed, when we ordered our food and had asked some basic questions about the menu, though we hadn't asked anything out of the ordinary. The drinks came is reasonable time frame, then there was a wait, before the apps came, but the food was tasty thus far. Then we waited and waited and waited some more for my friends to get their main meal. We even saw it go up on the wait stand under the heat lamps, we saw our waitress buzz all around, never checking in with us. She took more tables and orders and made and served drinks. Finally after 30 minutes from the last time she checked in with us, I got up and approached her to inquire what the hold up was. She snapped something at me and went up the wait stand and grabbed the plates, brought them to the table, yes the same plates that had sat there for 20 minutes and put them in front of my dismayed and somewhat ticked off friends. Both took tastes of their meals and both said that they were cold, I could see the crust that had formed at the edges of one of the bowls of pumpkin soup. When my friend brought this to the waitress's attention, all she said was "Do you want an appetizer?" "NO! I wanted my meal, this is totally unacceptable." was his answer. She left and came back with the check. She took his meal off but not my other friend's and didn't even apologize!!! This is a pricey and sheik eatery, I can't believe that this woman treated us this way. I really can't believe that my friend's didn't demand a manager. I took care of the bill and did not tip her a dime. Her attitude from the get go was horrendous and her lack of caring even worse. I would never recommend this place to anyone based on the lack of service we received that night.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank AllOnB0ard
Maryland
“Many choices/delicious food”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Everything looked very appetizing and was truly delicious. The staff was accommodating when we asked for plain noodles and chicken for the children. I loved the pumpkin soup. All six of us were happy with the restaurant. ( 4 adults, one teen and two kids). The staff were helpful but sometimes they were so busy it was hard to get their attention.

• Visited August 2013
Indiana, Pennsylvania
“Best Upscale Thai in the City”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Silk Elephant has it all. The menu and food are exceptional, the service impeccable, and the atmosphere beautiful and upscale without being stuffy. The soups are especially delicious (don't miss the crab and asparagus when it's in season) and the curries all really good. If you enjoy martinis, don't miss the ginger lemongrass martini, which is divine. I've eaten at Silk Elephant many, many times and it's also one of the most consistent restaurants you'll find.

• Visited July 2013
“Glad I went outside my bubble of normalcy!!!”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

This place felt a little tightly set, tables being close to each other. The decor felt welcoming and fit well with the type of restaurant it is. The waitress was attentive when we arrived but was very quiet and had a strong accent, if you listened closely though you could understand. The menu was all fog for me as i do not try new foods very often. I stay in my bubble of foods i ate growing up. i came here for my girlfriend's graduation dinner. She helped me to understand what everything meant and i choose the Pad See U i believe with shrimp. The waitress then asked for a number on the spicy scale something like 0-8 or 0-6. i chose 2. we chatted for maybe 15 minutes and our food arrived. It looked like some strange pasta with nice sized shrimp around it. i was skeptical but after tasting it all i could think was holy sh** this is delicious. The sauce mixture was sweet but had that tiny after spice to it. i barely spoke while inhaling my food. We paid and left very satisfied and full. Fantastic food, service hard to understand but attentive and quick. I will definitely come back for more when I'm in pittsburgh

• Visited May 2013