“One of my favorite meals, ever.”
Review of Silk Elephant

Silk Elephant
Ranked #504 of 2,195 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Squirrel Hill South
Reviewed 18 January 2014

If you like Thai food, you will not be disappointed. It is the best! It is all delicious. Public parking nearby if you do not like to parallel park. The lighting is low and the tables are close together in some areas of the restaurant, but once your food arrives, that is forgotten. The best spring rolls and Pad Thai that I have ever eaten.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

It is by far the best Thai Restaurant in Pittsburgh. Perfect for a family meal or a romantic date. "DO TRY THE RED CURRY."
The wine list is also good. Mid priced during dinner time, however low on cash students should prefer lunch as they have a special menu.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

We stumbled into the Silk Elephant sort of accidentally, but it worked out because this is a great restaurant indeed. The thai iced tea was well done (and served in a very tall glass), as were the soups. My boyfriend and I ordered three different tapas, all of which were reasonably priced and as friendly on the eyes as they were on our tastebuds. Our server was polite and courteous, and the atmosphere was welcoming and warm. Next time we're in Squirrel Hill, we'll visit this place again to try some of the main dishes!

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Very good food, really nice attentive service, pleasant atmosphere. Liked the pumpkin soup and the desserts - coconut ice cream and taro cake. Prices were fair.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

This past August I had to be in Pittsburgh, my home town, to visit my mother and take care of some grievous family business. The one night I got to share dinner with some old friends we decided to go the Silk Elephant a relatively new restaurant in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood at 1712 Murray Avenue. We were all looking forward to getting caught up over a sumptuous meal.
The decor was extremely well done, though our table in the bar area was a bit cramped. I was only having an appetizer and a glass of wine, as I had had a late lunch, my friends both order full on meals with drinks and appetizers also. The waitress was curt and seemed annoyed, when we ordered our food and had asked some basic questions about the menu, though we hadn't asked anything out of the ordinary. The drinks came is reasonable time frame, then there was a wait, before the apps came, but the food was tasty thus far. Then we waited and waited and waited some more for my friends to get their main meal. We even saw it go up on the wait stand under the heat lamps, we saw our waitress buzz all around, never checking in with us. She took more tables and orders and made and served drinks. Finally after 30 minutes from the last time she checked in with us, I got up and approached her to inquire what the hold up was. She snapped something at me and went up the wait stand and grabbed the plates, brought them to the table, yes the same plates that had sat there for 20 minutes and put them in front of my dismayed and somewhat ticked off friends. Both took tastes of their meals and both said that they were cold, I could see the crust that had formed at the edges of one of the bowls of pumpkin soup. When my friend brought this to the waitress's attention, all she said was "Do you want an appetizer?" "NO! I wanted my meal, this is totally unacceptable." was his answer. She left and came back with the check. She took his meal off but not my other friend's and didn't even apologize!!! This is a pricey and sheik eatery, I can't believe that this woman treated us this way. I really can't believe that my friend's didn't demand a manager. I took care of the bill and did not tip her a dime. Her attitude from the get go was horrendous and her lack of caring even worse. I would never recommend this place to anyone based on the lack of service we received that night.

2  Thank AllOnB0ard