“Delicious good!”

Las Velas
Ranked #197 of 2,178 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Mexican
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: Las Velas Mexican Restaurant is located in the heart of downtown Pittsburgh in historic Market Square above Prantl’s Bakery and Mancini Bread Company.Opening in fall of 2009, it includes a fun atmosphere, excellent bar options, and a flavorful menu of recipes inspired by Mexico City and the Riviera Maya region of Mexico.
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Delicious good!”
Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

After walking around in town for the day I found this awesome place with a wonderful view of market square. The margarita was fresh and delicious. The chips and homemade salsa were incredible. I had the chipotle chicken with rice and it could be shared. The portion was gigantic. The menu was very diverse. I loved the atmosphere at the bar and the service was great. I had good conversation and met a lot of bikers as well as professionals. I will be returning. I also enjoyed the pirate game on the tv.

• Visited June 2013

North Dakota
“Not a destination in and of itself”
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Mexican Food. Should be fresh, beautiful, tasty, wholesome. Restaurant should be warm, welcoming, attractive, spotless. Las Velas does all right in all of these areas but is not a standout by any means. The reason for the "average" rating has to do more with the wait staff than any other component of the restaurant. Our server was rude, disinterested, put her dirty fingers practically on the edge of my glass of water when serving it, couldn't answer a basic question about the menu.

• Visited May 2013
“Nothing special”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Walking in the place looked promising, nicely decorated and a good atmosphere. However, standing around for several minutes for a hostess to return and seat us should have been our first clue. Not sure what was happening because the place seemed well-staffed and it wasn't very crowded at 4:00 on a Sunday, but you'd have thought it was packed and they were understaffed by the service we got. We ordered our appetizer first, but it didn't come out until our meal came. Only one plate of food came out, and we had a hard time finding our waitress to tell her (someone else dropped off the food). The food was good but nothing special.

• Visited May 2013
Lexington, Kentucky
“Okay food, wretched service”
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Server disappeared for thirty minutes, came back with the explanation that she had a large table elsewhere. Gee, thanks.

Food is very average Mexican fare. Nothing to write home about.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank crickettrainer
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food and service”
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Wow - there actually is an affordable restaurant downtown. Went before a show and had drinks and food with friends. The waitress could not have been nicer, the food was very authentic and HOT (the way I ordered it) and couldn't believe the price. Couldn't finish my meal, which is rare for me. Met the manager and the owner, both were very nice. I eat out a lot in the burgh and I could not have had a nicer experience. Would highly recommend.

• Visited April 2013