“Budget Hotel with few amenities- but very appreciate of some of the staff!”

Quality Inn University Center
Ranked #53 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I recently stayed for 2 weeks on an unplanned visit to UPMC in Pittsburgh. This was a budget hotel with convenient location but few amenities and was mid to low range on the comfort scale (loud slamming doors, morning coffee in lobby was usually luke warm at best, carpets were being redone during the day on the floor above, sometimes shampoos were not replaced, airconditioner/heater did not fit flush to the wall so outside air came in the room- including cigarette smoke- when it was windy outside, etc). But the beds were comfortable, there was sufficient free parking, and food, UPMC, and Univ of Pitt were within walking distance. Also, many thanks to Kim and Anmarie for their above and beyond the call attention to my needs and to fitting my schedule which was day to day for more than a week due to hospital uncertainty. Thanks again Anmarie and Kim!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Thank you so much for the review. I'm pleased that we were able to be your home away from home for several weeks. I hope that everything at the hospital works out well. I will pass your kinds words along to Anmary and Kim- they're great assets to the hotel. Thanks again for your review. Come back and see us again!

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I made the reservation through Hotels-Rates.com. After a long drive, my daughter and I arrived at 8:30 pm to be told that our Queen SMOKING room was ready! I did not request smoking and was told that they only had a non-smoking room for that night, but they were booked for the following night. We were told by the clerk (who was not very friendly) that our room has brand new carpet and no one had stayed there yet so it should be ok. It was NOT. It was a smoking floor and it reeked of cigarettes and the cleaner they use to mask it!. I acually found ask on the lampshade! Since we were planning to go to West Virginia the next day we decided to take the non-smoking room that night and stay in WV instead of Pittsburgh the next night. I called Hotels-Rates and they canceled our reservation for us and we moved to the other room. This room was better but not much. I guess for the price it was ok, but I will never stay in a Quality Inn again. The only good thing was the parking and the Panera on the first floor of the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Thanks for your review. I apologize for any confusion with your reservation. The booking policy for www.hotel-rates.com reads:

"Bed type and smoking preferences are not guaranteed."

I apologize that their Web site was misleading. If you book by calling the hotel directly, you will receive more accurate information regarding room type and smoking preference. If you're returning to the area, please give me a call at 412-683-6104. We would be happy to have you as a guest again.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

The cons far outweigh the pros for this establishment. The pros are (1) it's close to the highway (I-376), (2) close to the University of Pittsburgh and (3) it has a shuttle. Some of the cons include (1) it's old, run down and "shabby," (2) the lobby is very small seating only 5 people, (3) no breakfast served (there is a Panera Bread in the same building, so that's convenient), (4) no restaurants close by, (5) one of the two bathroom sinks did not drain, (6) our room had a balcony (a pro), but it was extremely difficult to open the door to it (a bigger con), (7) wi-fi very slow, and I could go on. Of the Quality Inns I have visited previously, this one is certainly at the bottom of the list for "quality." It's old and it is not aging gracefully. Since I was on a business trip, it was adequate for me. However, I would never take my wife to this place (she's far too demanding) and I would never recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Peter P

Thanks for staying with us and for sending your comments our way. I apologize we were unable to meet your expectations during your recent stay. It's never our intention to offer sub-standard service or accommodations. I have shared your comments with the entire staff and we will use them to grow as a team. Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention. I did want to let you know that we're in the process of many improvement projects in the hotel. Currently, we're replacing carpet in all guest rooms. Other projects such as new furniture and lamps are ongoing. We're working with a designer and hope to upgrade the lobby area this fall. Again, I apologize for any inconveniences you faced.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I had never been to Pittsburgh before and was only needing to stay one night until a friend got into town and let me crash at his place. So, I was looking for a place that was close enough to downtown but without the downtown cost. I used my Choice Rewards points to book this place. I believe it's about $99 a night if you pay for the room or 16,000 Choice points (which is reasonable).

Positives: Location very close to Univ. of Pittsburgh and several hospitals. Plenty to eat/drink/see in the neighborhood. The Cathedral of Learning is a somewhat long, but doable walk as well. I like Panera and there is one actually in the hotel on the 1st floor. Even though most Choice hotels come with a free breakfast, I was OK with this option even if I did have to pay for it. Shower temp and pressure were good and the bed was comfortable.

Negative: The hotel obviously has some age on it, lots of scuffed and chipped walls. The hallways and elevator areas looked pretty gloomy. It just appears to be time for a major renovation.

Overall: I would stay here again just because of convenience and cost. If you're looking for frills though, look elsewhere. If you just need a place to crash, you'll be fine.

Room Tip: Top floors would probably have less street noise. I was on the 7th floor (the top) and didn't no...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Thanks for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and found your bed to be comfortable. Many guests like the attached Panera Bread, as well. I'm sorry that you were displeased with the condition of the hallways. This fall, we are replacing all hallway carpet, wall vinyl and are painting all doors. New signage and lighting will be installed as well. Come back and see us this fall after all renovations are done. I'm sure you will be pleased!

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Since i moved from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia, my preferred hotel in Pittsburgh has been the Quality Inn University Center. It is located in Oakland. close to the hospitals and universities but an easy trip by car or bus to the center city. It is like coming home with a great staff and good location. With a Panera's located in the building it is very comfortable. Last year, i stayed there about 40 nights and find it very consistent.

Room Tip: The Seventh floor has a great view of different parts of the city.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Paul K
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thanks for the nice review and for being a loyal guest. It's great to hear that we have been able to offer you a comfortable environment and great service on a consistent basis. I will definitely share your comments with our entire team. Thank you again for the kind words- see you soon!

Reviewed 8 March 2014

My daughter and I stayed here while we visited University of Pittsburgh campus. The room was average but clean. They offered a discounted rate of $99 for Pitt visitors. We loved the fact that Panera Bread was in the hotel. Great food and convenient. But the best part was the free shuttle to and from the campus. It leaves on the hour for various locations (dropped us off right in front of the admissions building- the shuttle driver knew where it was). When we were finished with our visit, we called for the shuttle and the driver picked us up within 10 minutes! Fantastic and friendly service!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sherri B

Thanks for staying with us. I am glad the hotel staff was friendly and helpful. I hope you had a great time at your visit at Pitt- good luck! If you're returning to the area, give us a call. We'd love to have you again!

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Just got here and already very irritated. After a 13hr. Bus trip. I was hoping to come relax but to my dismay for the price which wasn't what I was quoted when I reserved this place I was asstonished. The rm they show you in their pictures are misleading. The furniture and pictures are very out dated. Holes around outlets. Drape liner is filthy. Stains on carpets in rms. and hallways. The first room I was assigned to was so dirty I requested another rm. I was happy when the clerk gave me a discount but not happy with the next rm. either. They say there's a coffee shop online and there isn't. Yes there is Panera Bread but no coffee shop. Haven't seen the gym yet but I didn't ask. Had I known the pictures were misleading I wouldn't have reserved from here. The receptionist is very sweet but why is it that when I ask about the coffee shop bc I hungry after a long trip of bus food did Iget whispered about after leaving the receptionist deskto overhear the receptionist and the security say something behind my back just because I made a remark of "really" when I found out there was no coffee shop. The hotel is nice but needs to be clearly updated in things and not give false representations. Would I reccomend this place to someone? Yes if your trying to save a few extra bucks but its still not worth the price.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank MrsJohnHibbard2Be
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Thank you for your review. I wanted to let you know that the Panera Bread Café is a café/bakery/coffee shop- they serve a variety of warm beverages in addition to their food items. They make a great caffe mocha. The hotel itself serves free coffee and tea in the lobby. I apologize for any issues you encountered during your stay. Starting next week, we are replacing carpet in all guest rooms. Hallway carpet will be replaced in the fall. New furniture has already been placed in many rooms. The room in which you stayed has not yet received the new furniture. I apologize if you found the Web site to be misleading for any reason. Once new carpet and furniture is installed in all rooms, we plan to update our pictures online. If you're returning to the area in the future, give us a call and ask for an updated room. We will be happy to accommodate you.