“Great place to stay in Pittsburgh”

and 1 more site!
The Parador Inn of Pittsburgh
Ranked #2 of 11 Pittsburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We spent four nights at the Parador Inn. The owner, Ed, was very helpful and easy to work with throughout the reservation process (and during our stay!) and responded promptly to my emailed questions. We stayed in the Ruellia room, which was part of the carriage house. Our room was quite large and included a sitting area, a kitchen with a fridge, microwave, and sink, as well as a dining table (and of course a bedroom and bathroom). Breakfast was included as part of our room rate, so each morning we headed to the main house (we could choose 8 o'clock, 9 o'clock, or 10 o'clock). Both the food and the presentation were lovely. Our meals were delicious and much more interesting than what we eat at home -broccoli souffle, stuffed French toast, vegetable quiche. Each meal started with a parfait, homemade bread (pumpkin, cinnamon, poppy seed), orange juice, coffee or tea. As a bonus, we enjoyed the company of our breakfast companions (Rick and Vaughan from Richmond) very much. Staff members Jeff and Dee took very good care of us and always happily answered our questions. Each day our room was freshened and included a nice handwritten little note left on our pillow. There were all sorts of thoughtful little touches like these that set this property apart. We also loved meeting Ed's two friendly black labs, who were always there to greet us when we returned. Should we travel again to Pittsburgh in the future, we wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Parador Inn. We had a wonderful experience and cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 September 2013

We had a fantastic stay at the Parador. Ed was a mine of information and provided less that half-price tickets for the Warhol museum. His breakfasts were superb and on the morning we left he provided us with to go bags as we had to leave very early for the airport.

The room was huge, comfortable and clean. The Parador is within walking distance of downtown or if you prefer, the tram is free and close to the inn. Excellent restaurants are very close (not fast food).

Fully recommended.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2013

It’s hard to rate this B&B given the inflated grades it’s gotten on all internet venues. It's close to a 5.0 on Google Reviews and over 4.0 here on Trip Advisor. Sorry, that doesn't align with our experience. Yes, it’s charming, unique, and well-located. The staff are friendly and useful. But for $200 for one night (it’s $150/night if staying two nights) you could probably do better in Pittsburgh. We stayed in the carriage house, up a steep flight of stairs. The room was totally fine, though not the kind of room I would want to spend extra time in. (I'm not a nitpicky person, but I noted some yellow splotches on our white bedspread and white shower curtain. There's blue tape on the windows that was sort of unexplained. In the note about the room, they mention a coffee table that isn't sturdy.) This wouldn't have bothered me, would have been part of the low-key charm, but the breakfast was not ok – pineapple parfait with mealy granola, awful coffee, soggy and yet tough French toast, even the bacon tasted kind of cheap. Again, I wouldn’t be so harsh if it were priced more reasonably and people didn’t seem to gloat about it. Final note, while the house is on charming block it is about 50 feet from a row of fast food establishments – Taco Bell, Wendy’s, McDonalds and 7-11. While that might be convenient for some, it wasn't the vibe I was looking for when seeking out a B&B.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DianainPhilly
theparadorinn, Owner at The Parador Inn of Pittsburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

I think Diana is confused about the difference between on-line travel sites like Trip Advisor, Google Maps, Yelp, Four Square and professional travel rating companies like AAA and Michelin. AAA and Michelin have very specific criteria for their rating system. I happen to have three diamonds through AAA, which is all I want. When you get up to four diamonds and above, people expect designer linens, gourmet breakfast and a refined lodging experience. Instead, I make a concerted effort to make my guests feel comfortable and at ease. That is where I believe the five star misconception came from. The ratings I receive from past guests is their personal opinion of their satisfaction with their visit.
My pricing is extremely straight forward. All my guest rooms (largest to smallest) are all priced at $150 a night plus tax unless it’s a one night visit, on a Saturday. It states that under each guest room on my Accommodations Page and since I can’t get my on-line reservation to indicate it when booking, the higher price for a one night visit is prominent in the paragraph before they can start to book. I even put it in the Confirmation Letter all guests receive. I come from a chain hotel background; I know all about RevPar, ADR and all the other metrics chain hotels utilize to maximize profits. Being straight forward, I don’t use the Wal-Mart pricing structure $149.99 and try and lure someone with a seemingly lower price. I could very easily sell out for one day on Steeler home game weekends (I’m just a few blocks from the stadium) and sell out all Saturdays with a one night visit. But then I still have to pay my bills in January and February when people don’t travel as much. So I require a two night minimum for Heinz Field events and charge a premium for one night Saturday visits. As such, I try and make a decent profit, without gouging or being less than forthright.
Something else Diana doesn’t take into account with my pricing versus the Downtown hotels, my price includes everything. For one thing, I have free off-street parking. Not only do the Downtown hotels charge for parking, usually you need to pay valet to park and retrieve your car each time you use it. And then there are all the touches I provide like port in the Parlor, hard tack candy, chocolate kiss, free sodas and waters, etc that you definitely wouldn’t get for free Downtown. So even at $200 for a one night visit on a Saturday, I believe my price is very reasonable.
The guest room Diana and companion stayed in is in fact in the Carriage House; it is a converted servants quarters and does have fairly steep steps. The rest of the room was gutted and a brand new guest room was created in that space two years ago. I do believe most Americans recognize blue tape as being the tape painter’s use. I’m sorry I didn’t explain this or that performing maintenance on my property is something someone might perceive as negative.
I make my breakfast fresh each day. I totally understand different people have different tastes. Some people like vanilla ice cream, some like strawberry. That’s why I plan my breakfasts ahead of time, so there’s a variety. The “mealy” granola is Kashi. The coffee is Costa Rican, locally roasted for my Inn (the same coffee is in the dining room and the guest rooms). Since switching from Papua New Guinea to the Costa Rican, my coffee usage has grown by a third (and people frequently raved about the Papua New Guinea). Again, everyone has their own taste.
The fast food restaurants are all in a row, a block away on a totally different street. You can’t see them, hear them or smell them from my Inn.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

And Ed is that great host. He's an expert at not stepping over that fine line between being available for his guests and intrusive hovering. My wife, brother, sister in law and myself were all charmed by the Gorgeous yet quirky Inn. Built by a lesser known Pittsburgh steel baron, it has ALL the appointments you'd expect of an Oligarch's mansion, but with Ed's incomparable tropical touches everywhere. He really is a cheeseburger in paradise! He has two dogs on premises, but you won't see them unless you ask about them; they're not allowed in the guest areas. Ed has a trove of ideas for your stay, and directions to everywhere you want to go. He has a huge network of contacts and friends (ask about Crazy Randy, or Big Fat Gay Al) where you can dine or visit for adventure.

And the rooms! They're all enormous (400-500 sq/ft) and really interesting. The neighborhood is a classic example of gentrification rescuing an area previously down on its luck. Walking distance to public trans, Heinz & 3 Rivers stadiums. I seriously don't know what more you could ask.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Wonderful location for Pittsburgh sights. Many attractions within walking distance. Very clean and attention given to comfort details. Ed was thorough and helpful with our every question. We look forward to a return trip one day.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2013

The Parador was a very convenient place to stay--near Heinz Field, downtown, and the light rail line. The house was a large historic Victorian style one. The host was very nice and helpful. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2013

This is a true gem with amazing architectural features and furnishings. We could not have been happier with our spacious and immaculate accommodations and the location was superb. In addition, the homemade breakfast was absolutely delicious!

• Stayed: July 2013