“our mansion away from home”

and 1 more site!
The Parador Inn of Pittsburgh
Ranked #3 of 11 Pittsburgh B&B and Inns
Llangollen, United Kingdom
“our mansion away from home”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

The Parador Inn is a gem in Pittsburgh. Ed and all of the staff are friendly, welcoming, and helpful. The accommodations are spacious and historical/elegant/whimsical. There is lots of common space, indoors and out. Breakfasts are satisfying and different each day (we stayed for three nights). The inn is three blocks away from Heinz Field and the end of the "T" line, with free transportation to downtown.

1 Thank Dean S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We had a great visit at the Parador Inn. Ed & the staff, including the black labs Razor & RJ, were extremely welcoming and friendly. The room, we had the Afican Tulip, was comfortable, roomy, & funky. The fireplace was a nice touch. The breakfast was outstanding. Location was great - just a 20 minute walk to PNC Park for Pirates baseball and right around the corner from the Steelers football stadium. This was the best B&B experience we have ever had and highly recommend this Inn. We plan on visiting again. Rob & Laurie C. Owen Sound, ON, Canada

Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Heavily influenced by the Parador Inn's excellent web page, Trip Advisor reviews and location, we settled on The Parador Inn of Pittsburgh as our base of operations for a three day Blue Jays at the Pirates weekend baseball trip. Host Ed met us at the door, turned us over to assistant Ty and after touring the extensive main floor and meeting Razor and RJ, the two black Labradors, we were hiked up the forty stairs to the Lady Palm room, which would be the attic or garret and it turned out to be the equivalent of a decent sized apartment. The room was fully appointed, the king sized bed most comfortable and the sitting room ideal for relaxing or watching the flat screen television. Ty was most congenial and very helpful in answering our many questions and providing solid information on the area.

The Parador enhances its appeal by creating a "home" atmosphere, having extensive common spaces, a fully stocked library, little details such as a carafe of brandy, candies and chocolates and access to gratuitous soft drinks and water from the fridge in the kitchen. In other words, you pretty well have the run of the place.

Ed prides himself on his breakfasts and rightfully so, with great fresh coffee, juices, tasty fruit parfaits and a different breakfast each day such as quiche, French toast and baked oatmeal, which were the three dishes provided to us over the stay.

It is clear that a huge amount of money has been sunk into bringing this 1870 era mansion up to today's comfort standards, so that you have a combination of the original charm of a Victorian home (very creaky stairs!), with modern conveniences and all topped off with a defined tropical or Caribbean atmosphere and decor.

The Parador is situated in a gentrified area of the North shore and within walking distance of so much. Heinz Field is literally around the corner and PNC Park is about a fifteen minute walk. The "T" transit system starts beside Heinz Field and you can take it over to PNC or stay on and be downtown in a jiffy. Also close by is the Science Center and The Casino. There are good casual restaurants in the immediate area, with Benjamin's offering up the best hamburgers you could imagine. Georgio's pizza is a family owned place with excellent pies and other Italian dishes in the traditional sense.

As far as location, comfort, value, friendliness and a feeling of being immersed in the "real Pittsburgh" is concerned, you could not do better. The atmosphere is funky and eclectic, as is the immediate neighbourhood and I would highly recommend The Parador Inn to anybody who appreciates what a true B & B should be all about and enjoys exploring great old neighbourhoods of character and history.

Room Tip: We loved the Lady Palm room for its extensiveness, comfort and quiet, but you do need to be able to...
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We had a great stay and love the delicious breakfast each morning! Very easy to get to and beautiful setting! Saw Mr. R eating his dinner! Sorry mom, we will be staying here again when I'm back in town!

• Stayed April 2014
Louisville KY
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We recently enjoyed our first visit to Pittsburgh, a trip that was made so much better by our choice of the Parador Inn. We brought along our dog, who was welcome in the carriage house located just behind the beautifully restored mansion. No extra fee required! And he was also also welcome in the lovely enclosed courtyard where guests are free to linger. The location is in a fun and slightly funky neighborhood within walking distance of downtown Pittsburgh. Off street parking. A fantastic full breakfast served every morning, w/ homemade bread and other goodies. Ed, the owner, could not have been more pleasant and accommodating - even insisting I take a cooking magazine in the room that I mentioned I had enjoyed. He had half-price tickets for Carnegie museums, which my family of 3 really appreciated. If you usually stay in chain hotels, this may not be for you. But if you are looking for something more special, this is the place!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I travel quite a bit. Luckily most of my work lands me in Caribbean islands. When you come from a place like Seattle where the chance of sun is slim to none... the experience is ephemeral yet perpetual; a perfect yin/yang. To top this off I am an artist and a a writer. My perspective of the world tends to grow into a dream-state only when the right mix of light, color and emotion come into play. This can be quite easy in the islands where you can meet people named "Mongoose" who open small bars just to escape the rigors of a once tried business venture in New York City. No amount of revenue gives much pleasure to Mongoose on the island of St. Kitts anymore. Just the occasional story from a stray tourist who should happen across his bar so stranded and random that the visit itself becomes another world. An experience to the beyond....

It was blizzard weather, and my trip to Pittsburgh was far from being normal. I wanted an oasis, a planet within a lost world of weather that a warm heart would not be able to gel with and I FOUND IT. I simply love Pittsburgh. Places like the Parador Inn and people like Ed Menzor make it special because their heart is fully encapsulated into a realm that only artists an writers, musicians and theatrics seem to be able to portray, but it is one I know that WE ALL feel. It's an escape into a warm world of connection.

Breakfast was a warm remembrance of my travels and the company was exquisite. Do not miss this.

C. Black

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My husband and I live north of Pittsburgh. For my birthday, we had tickets to see "Wicked" at the Benedeum Theater downtown. We have known about the Parador Inn since it opened. We have toured the neighborhood many times over the years. I promised my husband that I would treat him to a stay there for his December birthday. The morning news on Feb. 4 promised snow that night so I quickly reserved a room. Ed welcomed us in the afternoon and showed us around this delightful place. We returned there after the play driving through a winter wonderland. The accommodations were perfect and so was the breakfast the next morning. I echo another review by saying, "Definitely the place to stay".

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple