“Great girls get away/ reunion.”

and 1 more site!
The Parador Inn of Pittsburgh
Ranked #2 of 11 Pittsburgh B&B and Inns
Ohio
“Great girls get away/ reunion.”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We were a group of 5 women who met at the Parador, as Pittsburgh was a central location between our home towns. We are sisters, nieces/ cousins, & some had not seen each other in awhile. This was a wonderful, comfortable, relaxing place to stay, with a fun and unique atmosphere. The Parador Inn is very conducive for visiting and enjoying time together. Our hosts, Ed and Ty, were welcoming, and very helpful with suggestions for places to eat, how best to get downtown to a show, and other recommendations. Ed shared much of the history of the renovation of this gorgeous mansion, which was very interesting. We love the decor - very unexpected and fun - lots of color, lots of fun!

Two of us stayed in the Bird of Paradise, and 3 of us shared Bougainvillea. The daybed was amazingly comfortable for the 3rd person in Bougainvillea. The rooms, bathrooms, & whole house were immaculate.

We especially enjoyed the sweet canine hosts, Razor and RJ, who were very well behaved and friendly. RJ kept us company on the lovely porch/ courtyard, where we gathered before dinner for a glass of wine.

For being in the city, the inn was quiet and felt very private, with the enclosed courtyard. Several sitting areas inside allow for indoor gathering. We felt at home throughout our stay.

Thank you, Ed and Ty, Razor and RJ, for your great hospitality! We plan to return next year!

Room Tip: Their website gives details on the rooms & bathrooms. This is an older home/ mansion, so bathro...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We were due to arrive early evening - then had travel issues due to bad weather causing us to arrive hours later. We contacted Ed and he was great about it. When we did arrive, he showed us around and was very welcoming. We met the RJ and Razor who are such nicely behaved labs.
We had two great breakfasts and got great information and directions that were perfect.

The room was spacious and comfortable. We could not have asked for anything more.
Dee was so nice as well - and we hope her wrist is okay.

Mark and Eugene

NJ
Reviewed 21 July 2014

What an interesting place, and in only the best of ways! Our room was huge, with a king-sized bed. The place is decorated in a combination of Victorian and Caribbean! It has a very relaxed vibe, with yummy breakfasts. The portions were satisfying too. Many details were associated with the Caribbean lifestyle. The alarm clocks are even set to a reggae station if you use it in the am (you can change if you like). Each morning, we had something different, home-made, and slightly exotic. Ed, the host, is an unassuming host who is there if you need him, yet keeps his distance until that time -- making the house feel like your own home instead of an Inn! He was helpful with restaurants and attractions. Some of the reviews mention the Black Labs (Razor and RJ). Trust me; I dislike dogs, but these two peaceful animals made me rethink my ideas about dogs! They are NOT near the sleeping areas (big place, big yard, etc.), and please don't let them deter you from trying a stay at the Parador! They are wonderful. This Inn is near the sports' stadiums (you can walk), and there are at least two really good restaurants in walking distance (one is Thai -- Nicky's Thai Kitchen). Public transportation is close by too, and Ed can help you get to where you want to go. There is a private parking lot as well. There is a porch, an outside patio in beautiful gardens, and a number of public rooms where you can hang around and feel at home. Our room had a television and all the amenities we could need. We loved our stay at the Parador.

1 Thank teachmsa
theparadorinn, Manager at The Parador Inn of Pittsburgh, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
It was our pleasure having you here at The Parador. We are happy that you enjoyed the atmosphere and were able to make yourself at home during your stay. Please visit us again as we enjoyed your company (especially RJ and Razor).
Baxter, Tennessee
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Beautiful Victorian home, fancifully painted, yet full of shinily varnished oak trim (what a shame) and full of gloomy and uncomfortable antique chairs and settees.

We had the misfortune to have elected to celebrate a family reunion here.

Although our family spent thousands of dollars in accommodation here, we were made to feel unwelcome, as though the owner were counting the minutes until our departure.

This was a complicated and unwieldy venue, the first red flag being was that there is no easy pedestrian entrance into the building itself.

I've never seen a “hospitality” establishment that didn't keep fresh coffee available for guests, or, at the very least, hot water for one to prepare tea, etc. There was NO COFFEE anywhere. My request for a cup of coffee was met with confusion (we're not talking Tibetan yak milk, folks!). An employee took a large thermos jug containing what, presumably, was this morning's leftover coffee, and attempted to fit the ENTIRE JUG (!!) into a microwave to ZAP the coffee for me... ugh.

The owner does not “allow” guests to bring in take-out containers (such as a cup of coffee from the outside world: remember this hotel does not provide coffee), as he considers them not to be ecologically friendly. I, on the other hand, consider it unfriendly for him to pace around the banquet hall at 10:30 with his two large Labrador Retrievers, unplugging the fairy lights on the plastic trees, as a HINT, when his guests have rented the hall until 11:00.

As our family reunion progressed, we all found we were exchanging stories about the unreasonable treatment received by this hotelier. Our bottom-line pronouncement: This man needs a career change. Perhaps the IRS is looking for applicants.

But I bet they have COFFEE.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Saragata13
theparadorinn, Owner at The Parador Inn of Pittsburgh, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
There are several issues with this review, so I’ll address them in order. I don’t understand her complaining about the woodwork being polished. I agree, some of the museum quality antique seating options are not the most comfortable, but they are so stunning I’m not going to dispose of them and bring IKEA pieces in.

The first complaint was about the amount of money they paid for the space. I’m an Innkeeper; just as an hotelier, my business is selling space, whether it’s in the form of guest rooms or event space. When the person coordinating this reunion was first exploring having their event here, he mentioned that he knew I had a Ballroom and he wanted to know what I would charge them to have a family meal the Saturday night of their weekend. I get $1,800 for a Saturday night event, because they were renting all my guest rooms, I offered them the space for $300 for the Saturday event. Some of them checked in Thursday and the rest arrived Friday. I saw them setting up Friday evening for an event in the common areas of the Mansion. I didn’t say anything assuming it was for the guests staying at my Inn. They ended up having additional 15 – 20 non-guests for this party. That is a public event. During the event, I came into the dining room and saw one of the Victorian tables with the table top knocked off the base and part of the base was broken. I got my manager to help me take the table apart and put it back together as best we could. I came back into the dining room later and saw the coordinator violently yanking on this Victorian table trying to make more space on one side. I stopped him and moved this antique table appropriately and pointed out to him how someone at his event had had broken the table. They left for dinner and I was left cleaning up the space so I could set it for breakfast.

I had the Ballroom pre-set for the guests and the coordinator and guests set up the tables etc with how they wanted Saturday afternoon. Then I saw them setting up the public space in the Mansion for an event. I spoke with the coordinator and pointed out that they had rented the Ballroom for a Saturday event, not the public space in the Mansion for their event Friday night and a pre-event Saturday.

Yes, I do not permit disposable use at events. I have never told guests what containers (disposable or otherwise) they can bring in for their personal consumption. My staff and myself take great pains separating recyclables from trash constantly while servicing guests. For this reason, I offered (at no charge) the use of my glassware and plates. After their meal, I single handedly washed and put the dishes they used away and did the glassware with their assistance. Yes, around 10:40 I went into the Ballroom and started unplugging the small lights on the fichus trees. Neither of my Labs was with me. There was just a few guests left milling around and didn’t think someone would take offense, for this I apologize.

The comment about coffee service identifies this person as a non-guest. There is coffee service in all the guest rooms. (The same blend I have roasted for my dining room). My manager remembers a person not staying at my Inn coming into the kitchen asking for coffee. I do keep left over coffee in a carafe on the microwave, my staff and myself use it throughout the day. And just for the record, I don’t use or have any Tibetan yak products on site.

As a side note, when the coordinator was booking the event, he asked if I had a TV and DVD player they could use to show a tape. I explained I only have TV’s in the guest rooms. When my manager checked the coordinator in, he asked my manager if he had a TV they could use. Apparently he didn’t like the response from the owner. One of the guests checking in Thursday called me the night before to see if she could stop by early and drop off her luggage. I said we were sold out the night before and had a lot to do preparing for their check-in and couldn’t offer any early check-ins. She then said she had some fresh fruit that needed refrigerated. I had an appointment early that afternoon leaving my manager alone on the property. So I asked her what time, since my manager had an appointment to show the property at noon. We agreed to 11 am and she showed up at noon when my manager was giving the tour of the property. Some of them arrive around 1:30 on Thursday looking for an early check-in. My manager said he couldn’t accommodate that, he and my housekeeper were busy still cleaning the rooms for their arrival. Apparently the coordinator didn’t like this response either because he then found my housekeeper and asked if she could check them in early.
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The inn is an old victorian that is tastefully decorated. Our room was large and clean as was the bathroom. The bed was very comfy. There are a number of sitting rooms on the first floor and a quiet courtyard to have your morning coffee. Water and sodas are available anytime. Ed is a wonderful host and a great source of information for the area. As previous reviewers noted, it is a short walk to the stadiums and easy to get into the city. There are a number of good restaurants on the street.

We had a front room on the second floor that was a bit noisy. The room next to it had a connecting door. We could hear the other guests having a phone conversation. The street noise could easily be heard, but it did quiet down at night.

The breakfast was excellent. There was fresh baked breads and yogurt with fruit. Then the hot dish followed. We had baked oatmeal with bacon and it was very tasty.

We would definitely return to the inn.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not over look the street.
Weaverville, United States
Reviewed 14 July 2014

As in the title, the BEST B& B my wife and I have ever stayed in. First, of all the dogs, black labs.....and the younger one will play catch and fetch until you tell him you have had enough....my kind of dog. Great breakfasts. You can walk to several great places for dinner. You can walk to baseball or football. And great prices. Private parking too!

Room Tip: check them out on-line
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Llangollen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

The Parador Inn is a gem in Pittsburgh. Ed and all of the staff are friendly, welcoming, and helpful. The accommodations are spacious and historical/elegant/whimsical. There is lots of common space, indoors and out. Breakfasts are satisfying and different each day (we stayed for three nights). The inn is three blocks away from Heinz Field and the end of the "T" line, with free transportation to downtown.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple