“Very good service, excellent food”

Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill
Ranked #274 of 2,254 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I specifically went to Smokey Bones because of the football games on that night (Sunday), and I was told that they had all the games showing which they did. That's great if you're traveling and want to watch your home team!

Anyway, I sat at the bar and had prompt and attentive service. I ordered a salmon dish, and it was some of the best salmon I've had in awhile -- very impressive for a chain restaurant. If you're trying to go really cheap, it may be hard to find something, but the prices are reasonable considering the amount of food. Beer was varied on tap with some very good choices.

My only regret is that Smokey Bones used to have an incredible bison burger on the menu -- it was actually the first place I ever tried bison at the Smokey Bones in Montgomery, AL! Anyway, I wish they'd bring it back, but the rest of the food is also good. Worth a trip!

1  Thank AndrewinMD

Reviewed 23 October 2013

We came to Smokey Bones on a Saturday night expecting a long wait and were so pleased to see that we could be seated immediately. The restaurant is HUGE with a giant bar--so they are very efficient about moving people in and out without much of a wait.
They have drinks for EVERY palette. There is wine, beer (bottled and on tap), cocktails, sodas--and so many innovative in-betweens. It took time to decide which to choose!
The food menu is broken into sections of burgers, appetizers, sandwiches, barbecue and roasted meats, platters, and even pastas. There is something for every appetite. I chose the pulled pork platter which comes with two sides. The cinnamon apples were incredible--the right balance between crisp and tenderness. The pork comes without any sauce--just slow cooked and fork tender. There are five different barbecue sauces on the table--my favorite was the honey mustard barbecue--which surprised me with its tangy sweet taste.
My boyfriend selected a buffalo chicken sandwhich that he thoroughly enjoyed with the loaded fries.
The desserts looked fantastic but alas, we didn't save room.
We will absolutely be back!!

A word of advice to locals--they put out a few $10 off coupons each month that are found in the two major Sunday newspapers toward the beginning of each month. Take advantage of this fantastic offer!

Reviewed 22 October 2013

The service was subpar, and the wrong food came out of the kitchen. This is usuall a top notch experience....maybe they were just having an off night.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

What I great restaurant!!! The best service - awesome steak - the draft beer was so cold - and a frosted mug helped! The food was so good - the price was great - I will go back!!! Better than most places that I've been to in a long time!

Reviewed 26 June 2013

My wife and I stopped in on a Friday evening around 9pm. Really like this chain, but it's no longer in the area we live in, so any chance we get to eat at one we take it. Sat at the bar so we could catch some TV. Bartender was friendly and attentive enough at first, but throughout the evening, she stopped checking on us - and not because it got busier. We ordered the nachos as an appetizer, then split a pick your own combo. AVOID THE NACHOS!!! Unless you like chili powder dumped all over your nachos, then by all means, have at them. We couldn't finish them because of the clumps of chili powder that was spread all over them. Eventually we got our entree plate. We ordered pulled pork and beef brisket. The pulled pork was drier than we usually like and there were too many pieces of burnt end pieces. I had the steamed broccoli as my side and she had cole slaw. Both of these were okay. Overall, I think if we're ever in the area again, we'll check out some other restaurant.