“Just plain terrible” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #49 of 68 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Just plain terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

To start off, the staff was just terrible. They were incredibly rude, and they kicked people out of the hotel for no rhyme or reason. I watched as one person was kicked out simply because he ripped his pants, in the butt, and went up to his room to change. They didn't even let him get his stuff! Just told him to get out or that they would call the police. The staff was also threatening to kick people out if they were not in their rooms by a certain time. They treated others like crap because they "didn't pay as much as other people for better rooms." Next let me tell you about the living arrangements. The room I was in was cramped for what was paid. Two beds stuffed into a small room is just outrageous. There was hardly any room to breathe let alone relax. I am a bigger guy, and I had trouble even moving about the room. The only good thing I can say is that it had a nice view, and the rooms were clean. Other than that, it was a horrible stay, and I would recommend that you would choose any other hotel but this one.

Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
8 Thank Marc K
Mike D, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Hello and welcome!

Thank you for staying with us and providing with feedback about your stay experience. I am very sorry to see that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Upon researching your feedback, I am sorry to see that our staff may have come across has not being warm and friendly. We do pride ourselves on providing exceptional service. We do have codes of conduct that we do adhere to and before anyone is evicted we do a full investigation and ensure it is warranted, as we want all of our guests have a great experience. I am happy to see that you enjoyed our spectacular views.

Have a wonderful rest of your day!

The Wyndham Grand Management Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
Columbus, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

Where to start? When we rented the room we were told that it was a mini-suite. Apparently their definition of a mini-suite is a room that is a carpeted area that is roughly ten by twelve with two beds crammed within. The bathroom was miniscule with a modern door that slides and has windows. You can see fairly clearly through the door. For the price of the room the size was pitiful. The valet parking is absurd, as is any building parking nearby.

But all of that could be forgiven if the staff was lovely. The staff will make or break a hotel, and this was an example where the staff thoroughly broke this hotel. I felt as if the staff looked down their nose at me my entire stay, as if I was far too low class to deserve their attention. There was no graciousness expressed by any staff member during my stay. I was treated like dirt at best, like a delinquent at worst.

I am a night owl. I focus best at night. So it is terribly rude for any staff member to order you back to your room while taking a walk through the lower level (Where there are no hotel rooms, only conference rooms) with threats of ejecting you from the hotel. I have no problem being asked or told that there is a curfew. I do take offense at being ordered about.

I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Elisha C
Mike D, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, 25 March 2012
Hello! We would like to thank you for staying with us and letting us be a part of your journey.

We also would like to thank you for providing us feedback in regards to your stay experience. We sincerely apologize that you were not satisfied with your guest room accommodations. I also would like to apologize for any issues with our staff. We do pride ourselves on providing excellence in service and I am sorry that we did not extend this great service on to you. We will follow up with our evening and overnight Management Team about the issues that you encountered.

Again, we apologize that your stay was not satisfactory. Thank you for your feedback, we will use your feedback to continue to improve our hotel and services.
Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

I attended the 2012 BEYA conference. Breakfast was good. Hotel was connected to the Convention Center. I only stayed for 3 days.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Dear Valued Guest.
Welcome! Thank you for taking the time to provide the Wyndham Grand with your feedback. You may have our hotel confused for the Westin, as they are directly connected to Pittsburgh Convention Center and were host to the BEYA conference. However, we would love to have you as our guest in the future and we would be excited to show you our hotel and services.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

Stayed here for one night. on St Patrick's day. The room that we stayed at had a very nice view, with a comfortable bed and the bathroom was clean and modern. All the staff we talked to was helpful and friendly. When we got to the hotel the valet parking was actually full but we were able to find a street parking spot right across the street and it's free for a Sat night! We were quite happy that we were able to avoid the hefty $26 parking cost otherwise. The only downside was that our room was quite near the elevator and the noises were quite bothersome. Otherwise, I quite like the location of the hotel -- we were able to walk to Nola at Market Square for dinner which was only a few min away, and the Station Square was about 20 min away.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mike D, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, 24 March 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for staying with us and joining us in celebrating St. Patrick’s Day! We are excited to see that you enjoyed our hotel and services. Thank you for the positive feedback. We will commend our staff for providing you with excellence in service. We are also happy to see that you were able to take advantage of our location.
Thank you again for staying with us and for providing us with your feedback! Have a wonderful day!

Zanesville, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights while in town to watch St. Patrick's Day parade. The location of this hotel was perfect for our needs. We walked to Station Square on Friday evening and the party after the parade was in Market Square, which we walked to too.

The hotel itself was very nice. Our room had a wonderful view of the 3 rivers and Heinz stadium. Our king bed was very comfortable with 4 pillows. The room had a fridge and a flat screen TV. The bathroom had a shower stall and plenty of towels. The room was quiet.

The only con was the valet parking. $26 is a bit much.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
Welcome and thank you for joining us St. Patrick’s Day weekend! It was great having you as our guest!
Thank you for providing us with such great feedback! We are excited to see that you enjoyed everything about our hotel, from the location to our amenities, especially our spectacular views! We also have many more enhancements coming soon!
We look forward to warmly welcoming you to our hotel again in the near future!

New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

In summary: probably a decent enough hotel but if you want a good nights sleep make sure they do not put you in an xx09 room or any room near an elevator.

This is one of those reviews you should probably ignore more broadly as it's a bit of a rant. However, you should know I had a terrible nights sleep due to noise and then discovered the staff were well aware that the room I was in was going to be noisy - yet didn't mention it on check in. I'm not the heaviest of sleepers but I do live in a major city so am used to some noise. You could hear the mechanism and the ping of the elevator's arrival from the room I was in.

It's probably a very nice hotel otherwise, but I will not return, especially as it is clear that staff are aware that the room I was in would be noisy but did not tell me in advance.

TO THE HOTEL MANAGER: Just get your staff to warn people. If the person who checked me in had mentioned this I would have asked for another room - apparently the xx09 rooms are bigger or nicer, but noisy. I would gladly have a smaller room and get more than 3 hours sleep. Let people make that choice and people will not complain!

Room Tip: Avoid any room with xx09 number and ask to ensure you are not put in a room next to the elevators (l...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Ben B
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for providing us with feedback in regards to your stay experience. I would like to apologize for the noise disturbance that you encountered while staying with us. I understand that this was frustrating especially while trying to achieve a rejuvenating night’s rest. I personally will follow up with your feedback to our Engineering Management Team to take a look at the elevators to reduce any potential noise.

Again, thank you for staying with us and providing us with your feedback. It is with this feedback that we are able to always improve our hotel and services.

Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

Great hotel. I stayed here for 4 nights for a conference. The downtown seemed deal however when i was there. There wasn't much to do around the hotel but some shopping and a few restaurants.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hello! We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for staying with us and for providing us with your stay feedback. Thank you for your great feedback about the hotel. Currently Pittsburgh is adding new and exciting attractions, restaurants, and shops around our hotel which will be opening very soon. Soon we will be the center of activity of Pittsburgh.

Thank you again for staying with us and for providing us with great feedback about our hotel!

Have a wonderful day!