“Best location for Downtown Pitrsburgh Visits”

Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown
Ranked #52 of 72 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stay at the Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh almost monthly, for work. This hotel is located conveniently right off of the Fort Pitt Bridge exits and interstates. It is directly across the street from Point State Park (nice for some outdoor exercise), its a short walk across the bridge to PNC Park, Heinz Field and the North Shore area. Its blocks away from the entertaining Market Square and the underground metro station. Its close to everything. Great staff, all the time. The Bellmans, the valet drivers, the waiters, the front desk staff; all fantastic. Rooms are of varying sizes. I've had some small standard rooms and I've had some nice, spacious corner rooms with awesome views. I have to agree with others that the showers are not up to par. Poor installation and design, for sure, in every room I've been in. I have stayed in other hotels in the area, in and around downtown. I recommend this location to anyone with visits to downtown planned.

• Stayed: December 2013
WYNPITmgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Tracy, We appreciate having you stay with us for your work. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We hope to see you again in 2014.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,505)

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Does the hotel know when you use a voucher to pay for a room? It sure felt like it.
It started with the less-than-friendly front desk guy. I checked in specifically so we could get a crib in the room before we went to dinner. I left a tip on the coffee table and told the front desk guy... guess what? No crib when we got back at 10:45 with groggy kids. They brought a Pack-n-Play (fine, but a good hotel would have an actual crib.) But no, that would mean linens on a little crib, instead of a Pack-n-Play without a pad cover (which do exist and other hotels actually have.) Then - I wanted to watch a little TV. The remote didn't work. They sent up a technician who just gave me another remote. I made him wait, and guess what? It didn't work either! Good thing I made him wait. He yanked some wires, then the original one worked!
Next morning it's nice to have the room coffee, but guess what? One coffee cup! Two packets of coffee, one cup. Nice.

Like my title says, it is a very nice hotel, facility wise, very pretty, in good shape. If I had paid full price, I'd be livid with the service. Instead, I was disappointed.

Room Tip: Junior Suites DO NOT face the river.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mooshhhh

We appreciate that you chose to stay with us for your recent visit, and glad to know you took advantage of the internal booking. We regret we did not meet your expectations and can assure you we are addressing your specific concerns with our management team. We are very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced and would welcome another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

I cannot express my dissatisfaction with this place. GROSS, GROSS, GROSS

The story: I decided to take a business trip to Pittsburgh for a trade show at the convention center. Everything else was booked around the convention center so I decided to choose the Wyndham GRAND. It was fairly close and as always, I really enjoyed my stay at Wyndham facilities. Being a “GRAND” I had my expectations high and was rather excited for my stay. Boy was I wrong!

Upon arriving at the hotel, I saw there was a lot of construction going on. I’m okay with that because I appreciate business’s keeping up with the times and actually upgrading their facilities. I arrive at the desk and get booked into my room. The staff seemed polite and was very pleased with their service. I then proceed to my room. I lay my stuff on the bed and head out to explore Pittsburgh. I did not pay attention to the room at this point. I swung by the front desk to get some dinner recommendations and once again, they were very helpful. Took their recommendation and off I went to have a great dinner. When returning I decided to check out their bar that had the US vs Mexico soccer game. Bartenders were nice and made me feel welcome. After the game it was time to get some shut eye. This is where the nightmare begins.

I walk back into my room and start setting up my computer. Go to plug it in and noticed dust all over the floor. This really wasn’t acceptable to me but I needed to get some work done. I then continued to look around and found dust bunnies everywhere. (see pictures) This was getting gross. I could tell they did not bother to vacuum anywhere they couldn’t directly get the vacuum cleaner. Being a little grossed out, I wanted to take a shower. When entering the bathroom there was mold everywhere. (see pictures) The shower looked like something out of a 1970’s motel 6. It was just never cleaned. I did not understand how a house keeper could either 1. Not see it, or 2. Not care. I decided to take a wash cloth and wipe a little up to see if it was just on the surface. Sure enough, it did not take much to clean the corner rather well. After that, I walked back to the desk. I currently did not have my shoes or socks on (bare feet). As I approached I felt a prick on my foot. I sat down and examined my foot and actually found a safety pin lodged in my foot. This I could not believe. Was I dreaming? Is this really happening? A little disgusted, I just wanted to get some sleep. I lay down and get a dirty nights rest. The next day I inform the lobby my room was really gross and requested for there to be extra attention on cleaning the room. I wanted to give them another chance. People make mistakes and people have bad days. I then return to my room well into the night and there had been absolutely nothing done to the room rather than the bed made and the typical refreshing of the things on the sink. Being that I was leaving the next day, I sucked it up and went to bed. I informed the desk and showed them the pictures. They seemed not to care. They even started arguing with me. They explained to me if they would have notified them, they would have put me in another hotel. I told them all the hotels in the area were booked because of the convention but they seemed not to believe me (I actually checked until the very last day). Looking back, yes I should have made them move me to another hotel but I wanted to give them a second chance. I have since contacted Wyndham corp. and they have not given me any response….at all!

I am always looking for other hotel chains to stay at when I travel and Wyndham has made me SICK because of this stay. I will make sure to mark them off my list of possibilities and any of my colleagues as well.

My advise, if you are thinking of staying at this hotel, DON’T!!!! Go to the Omni or the Renaissance. Pay the extra because the Wyndham Grand could possibly make you sick.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank CopperTrader80

While we appreciate that you chose to stay with us for your September trip, your comments are very concerning to us. We acknowledge that we have been working directly with you since your stay and reiterate that we do take your concern seriously. Thank you.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

I was in the city to see a concert at Stage AE across the river and stayed at the Wyndham. The advertised room rate was more than I'm normally willing to spend on a hotel room (I shower and sleep in the room and then am back out the door exploring), but I was able to find a deal on Travelzoo that put the hotel at $99 + tax a night. I didn't do the valet parking because there is a parking garage right across from the hotel.

I was a little disappointed to find out the courtesy shuttle was not operating (it was a Sunday evening) because I had called and specifically inquired about it. Fortunately, the front desk clerk was able to give us detailed directions on how to take the (free) metro to our destination. Throughout our stay we saw more instances of this - some staff was very personable while others were not.

The hotel location is FANTASTIC! Market Square is about two blocks away, the parking garage is across the street, and Heinz Field/Stage AE is just over a one mile, fairly easy walk. Pittsburgh is a beautiful city during Christmas!

The room was a little on the small side but efficiently designed and attractive. My major complaint was the noise - the walls are so thin! Not only could you hear everything happening in your own bathroom, you could also hear things happening on the other side of your wall. The person in the room next to us snored all night which kept us awake. It sounded like he was in our bed. I wish we would have asked for a room switch, but I didn't expect the noise to be so audible on our side of the wall.

Overall, this is a great hotel if you want to be close to everything and willing to pay a little bit of a premium. I would recommend requesting a room without guests on either side to cut down on the noise.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
WYNPITmgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Thank you for choosing the Wyndham brand for your recent visit, we are glad to know you took advantage of the internet special. We appreciate your feedback and will certainly share your specific concerns with our management team. We hope you have an occasion to return to Pittsburgh, when we would welcome the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
WYNPITmgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Reviewed 4 December 2013

We were delightfully surprised with the excellent location and beautiful view overlooking the river. It was an easy, scenic walk to Heinz Field. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. We chose valet parking, which was a little expensive but very efficient. The inside of the coffee maker was dusty, but otherwise everything in the room was in great shape. The beds were extremely comfortable. It was a good value, and I would definitely return again.

Room Tip: Choose river view - beautiful!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

We appreciate that you chose the Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh for your recent visit, and took the time to share your feedback with us. We would welcome the opportunity to serve you again if your plans include a return trip to our fine city.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Excellent room, excellent view. Parking was kind of far away. The Buffet was good, but they ran out of green bean casserole with no more in sight. The waiter was very good.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
WYNPITmgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Dear Barbara, We are delighted that you chose to stay with us for your recent visit. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us, which we will pass along to all involved. Should your plans bring you back to the downtown area, we hope to see you again!