“A nice hotel, not worth the price”

Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown
Ranked #50 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
“A nice hotel, not worth the price”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed in this hotel several years ago when it was under another name. The hotel was as nice as I remembered it to be. Checking in was easy, with the optional valet parking (an extra 30 dollars a day, but worth it for the time we were there). When making my reservation, I had put under 'Special Requests' that I needed a refrigerator, as they're not supplied in the room, for my medication. Upon checking in, when I asked the clerk about my refrigerator request he seemed to make some kind of face, as if I were trying to scam the hotel out of a refrigerator. He informed me that NOT only had they NOT put in a refrigerator, but I had to pay an extra twenty dollars a day if I wanted one, or I had the option to put my medication (which is for a blood disorder and costs thousands of dollars) into 'their' refrigerator and they would lock it up and I could use it when I needed it. As I wasn't about to entrust my medication to them, I elected to pay for a refrigerator. As many hotels provide complimentary refrigerators, I was rather irritated as I was already paying a steep price for the hotel as it was and I was not even informed of this charge.
Otherwise, the room was nice but small, very clean (except some dust bunnies under the bed), and quiet. Great river view. The restaurant has excellent food, if a bit pricey. The one night that we ate dinner there, only one waitress was present and had about ten tables to cover (on a Saturday evening), so the service was slow, but there are plenty of other restaurants around, including fast food. The concierges were friendly and helpful. Besides the rather irritating attitude of the check-in clerk, a very nice hotel. Still, I will look elsewhere my next stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the highest up and pay for the river view--well worth it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marilyn921
WYNPITmgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Marilyn, While we appreciate that you chose to stay with us, we regret you left with such an impression. All of our suites do have refrigerators and microwaves in those rooms as a standard. If a guest does need a refrigerator for medial reasons, we do have one located in our Security/Loss Prevention Department at no cost, for those guests. We certainly could have better communicated this information with you, and can assure you we will take your feedback to heart. We do hope you might reconsider staying with us in the future, should your plans bring you back our way.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Let's start out by suggesting that this is a luxury hotel, based on the rates they charge,and as such, there are different, higher expectations for this hotel than there would be for, say, a Hampton Inn.

Our experience starts at the Valet, which was full. Why was it full? Well, there was a wedding, and the valet lot was filled with wedding guests, leaving no room for hotel guests. You would think that the valet would be for people actually staying at the hotel. You would be wrong. You would also think that the valets could point you to the next closest proximate parking area. You would be wrong again. If you're coming in from out of town, and have to deal with this valet stand, good luck to you.

So. After having hauled your luggage in from a parking deck four blocks away in a thunderstorm, you arrive, waiting in a lengthy front desk line, to an apathetic front desk clerk who informs you that, while you reserved a King Sized bed in a room with a river view, that room type isn't actually available, unless you'd like it in smoking. So, exhausted from your trip and drenched from hauling your luggage, you settled for the Queen room that actually is available.

Have you ever been in jail? Good. Then you're familiar with the room size you're dealing with here. The bed is the room. There's barely enough room for a sitting chair and computer desk. Which, I suppose, if this were the late 1970s early 1980s would be fine. (Though how they got both a bed and a pre-flat screen era TV in these rooms is beyond me).

Are you a person of size or taller than 5' 11"? Then good luck with the shower. Over about, oh, 6' 4"? Then be prepared to scrunch down to fit into the bathroom, which is very small.

That's ok. No problem. Time to suit up and do a few laps in the pool...uh, no. It's entirely too small for that, I'm afraid. One can't really dodge adorable children with floaties and swim laps in a pool of this size anyway.

All right then. Let's move on and order some room service. No problem, your order (complete with a $4 bottle of water you could get at Rite Aid for $.99) will be here in 40 minutes. Did I say 40? I actually meant 90. Sorry about that.

Perhaps you've had enough and would like a good night's sleep. Let's go ahead and crawl into this nice soft bed. Actually, this bed isn't soft at all. It's more like cardboard with a pillow top on it. If you're prone to joint aches, the good news is that this bed will enable you to feel every last one you have when you wake up in the morning.

Waking up in the morning assumes you'll get sleep at night, of course. Fortunately, these blackout curtains will help keep the light out, or rather, they would if the ones in your room actually worked correctly and didn't keep peeling back at the edges, letting light in.

And, while most hotels offer at least a mild amount of noise insulation from either the outside hallway or from neighboring rooms, this hotel offered zero insulation from either. So, when you have neighbors who have children making noise in their rooms and running through the hallways, you get the bonus of hearing all of it as you attempt to sleep, along with every other guest walking down the hall. And people making noise down on street level.

Which is just as well, because housekeeping does you the favor of getting you out of bed by running the vacuums outside your door at 9 a.m. anyway.

So, to sum up:
Poor valet experience.
Poor check in experience.
Cramped room.
Uncomfortable bed.
Poor room service experience.
Poor pool facility.
Complete exposure to outside room noise.
Poor room.

So how do we get from zero to two? First, let's talk about the shower head. It's fantastic. One of the best at any hotel I've ever stayed at. The water pressure is really, really great and that's worth a rating on it's own. The air conditioning is above average if you like rooms cold, below average for heat. Which is a positive for me, though it may not be for you.

When room service finally does arrive, the food is outstanding. It's worth another rating. Can't say enough about all three meals and deserts. They really do food right here.

That said, the only circumstance I'd suggest setting foot in this building is for dinner or at the bar. From start to finish, they really get the food right. If you're going to do the Point State Park, stop here and eat. Otherwise, don't set foot in this building. And by no means should you stay here. There are better options downtown at a better price.

Room Tip: I suppose, if you can get a river view room, do it. But don't stay here. Seriously. Just don'...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cromartie
We appreciate that you chose our property for your recent Pittsburgh visit, and that you took the time to share your candid feedback. Your comments are concerning to us, starting with the lack of welcome you received when you arrived, and that you received a smoking room (our property is entirely non smoking). We are definitely looking into all areas of concern so we may take the appropriate action. Thank you again for taking the time to share.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 30 June 2014

For my first trip to Pittsburgh I couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. The location in downtown was fantastic and close to the office. The personnel at the check-in and the restaurant were helpful and very professional. When I come to explore Pittsburgh on liesure I plan to stay here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

1 Thank William B
WYNPITmgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear William, We are delighted to hear your first visit to our fine city will not be your last! We are looking forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Location at the tip of downtown, near the old fort location, the Wyndham Grand has a great view in an aging, somewhat dated shell. Nice staff, from the doormen and valets to the front desk. The rooms are somewhat smaller, the bathrooms in particular are clearly several decades old, in terms of space. The room interiors had been redone somewhat recently and were fine, the hallway and lobby decor reminded me of vegas in the 80's...a lot of gold stuff...odd. The hotel restuarant, was, well sufficent, it could have been much much better. Overall I would skip this hotel in the future: the price was premium the property was not.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank RolloX24
Dear Paul, We appreciate that you chose to stay with us recently, and regret we did not thoroughly meet your expectations. Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback, and if your plans do bring you back our way, we would welcome the opportunity to serve you again.
NJ
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Nice hotel, comfortable beds, etc. Poor customer service & housekeeping. Apparently to them, the Do Not Disturb sign on your door on a weekend morning before 10am means no housekeeping service (even though they put a card under the door saying to tell the front desk when ready). We asked for the room to get cleaned at 10:30am, and 3 more times through out the day and it wasn't done. Their responses were nasty & argumentative, saying that since the Do Not Disturb sign was there they don't have to come back. They wouldn't even bring fresh towels...I had to get them from the front desk. The gym is very nice, but there was an overflowing basket of dirty towels and no clean ones so I had to walk wet back to my room one morning. It also took 45 minutes for them to get the car out of valet parking. They did take one of our two nights charge of valet parking ($30) off for the above, but we would have preferred a better experience.

For the price I'm paying for this hotel, I would expect far better service. Even with the nice location, beautiful views and otherwise comfortable rooms, I will stay somewhere else next time I go to Pittsburgh.

Room Tip: Room bed type requests are only taken at check in, you can't reserve a certain type in advance.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank mgs02
Thank you for choosing the Wyndham brand recently. We are very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced with regard to our housekeeping service. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We can assure you we are addressing this with all involved and taking the appropriate action on our end. We do hope you may reconsider a future stay with us, should your travels bring you back our way.