“An Okay Stay”

Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown
Ranked #51 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 3 July 2014

An OK Stay. The hotel was an average looking hotel. My room view was the only wow factor. Meanwhile, front staff person at lobby was passively rude. Since I am an assertive person, I alerted her on behavior; she fixed it and we were able to proceed with checking in. The breakfast in the morning seemed always undercook and/or cold. Also the furniture in room was dusty.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
1  Thank Leslie J
WYNPITmgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Leslie, Thank you for choosing the Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh for your recent stay. We are very sorry for the lack of service you received at check in and will definitely address this further on our end. We will also be sharing your observation about your breakfasts with our culinary team. We value your feedback and appreciate that you took the time to share with us.

There are newer reviews for Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
2  Thank Harvey R

Reviewed 2 July 2014

There was not a refrigerator in room but when I made reservation I was told I would have one. Parking rates was very expensive also not informed. The chair in room was broken almost feel, when a replacement one came the man did not take broken chair with him left in a corner of the room which people were tripping over and made room smaller,which was difficult for the other guest to move around the room in his wheelchair. Also front desk not knowledgeable of information for things happening around the hotel. The sink water never went down for a day in a half not sanitary. Very disappointed and felt over paid for this quality room.

Room Tip: have rooms painted and have to be upgraded. The molding was cracked in several places, not enough sp...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Barbara P
WYNPITmgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Barbara, While we appreciate that you chose to stay with us recently. We regret that we did not deliver the level of service expected during your stay. We are sure that a member of our management team would have made a difference, if made aware during your stay. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, which we will address on our end.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed here for a weekend getaway. My husband, myself and our 6 year old son. We reserved a junior suite, which was spacious, but in strange ways. There was a large area when you first walked into the room that was wasted with nothing there. Same with the bathroom. The space where the shower/sink/toilet was located was fine ... a bit tight, but fine, and then there was this huge space off to the side with nothing in it. The shower doors were glass, sliding doors. One of the doors was not seated properly in the track and it made me really nervous that it would slip out of the frame and break. The mattress on the king bed was either worn out or very cheap; it dipped in the middle. The hot tub was icy cold and the pool itself was not exactly warm enough that I was comfortable in the water, though my six-year-old was fine with it. There is not enough valet parking to accommodate the hotel and there is no self-parking garage nearby that we were made aware of. We were lucky to get into the valet lot the first night because the second night we were there, it was closed. If I go back to Pittsburgh for an overnight stay, I will shop around for a hotel. There have got to be better choices, even if you have to stay in one of the neighborhoods away from downtown.

Room Tip: The elevator noise can be heard in adjacent rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nadeane H

Dear Nadeane, Thank you for choosing the Wyndham brand recently. We appreciate that you took the time to share your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the design of your junior suite. We can assure you, with regard to your bathroom shower door, we will have our engineers double check this concern so we may take any necessary action. Please know if a manager was made aware during your stay, we will make every effort to ensure your comfort. We would welcome the opportunity to serve you again, if your plans bring you back our way.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We took advantage of a TravelZoo offer on this hotel and compared to other rates that we found on other sites (pretty much two nights for the price of one) we couldn't pass this up. We've been to Pittsburgh before and have actually stayed at this hotel for another event but didn't get the chance to review it back then. Its a huge hotel! Rooms nicely appointed, and what you would expect from a Wyndham. Room was clean, beds very comfortable. The view we had (river view) was phenomenal, and not expected as we had booked city view. We didn't get the chance to try any food at the hotel. The only constructive piece of criticism I would give is for the hotel to ensure the valet service has enough attendants. We stayed this past weekend where a wedding was taking place, a Pirates game was the night before, and on a Sunday AM, people were headed home. The general 20 minute wait was closer to 45-60 minutes. The attendants worked as hard as they could to keep up, and honestly kept their composure among some very irritated guests. We took in in stride, but was surprised the hotel management didn't come out to try and assist/calm guests. I realize that the valet company may be a separate vendor, but to most guests, they would not have known any different. I would stay here again, as it is very convenient to many parts of downtown. Downtown is vastly different than it was 10-15 years ago and there is much more to do now on the weekends around the hotel, it is an ideal central location, with a wonderful view.

1  Thank Baltrx

We are glad to hear you took advantage of the internet offer and enjoyed your time with us. We will take your concern about the valet staffing to heart and address this with all involved. It would be our pleasure to serve you again if your travels include a return trip to our fine city!

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

If you are staying here and sharing a room with colleagues for business, prepare to be very uncomfortable. The door to the bathroom is made up of glass/plastic fuzzy see-through windows. There is no absolutely privacy. The hotel restaurant's expensive prices do not match the poor quality of the food. The "complimentary" wifi does not work. I am very disappointed. The only parking option is valet, and if they are just rude, count yourself lucky. I would never stay here for a personal trip. The bed sheets had holes in them, the room was tiny, the window blinds did not close all the way and the bath tub was disgustingly dirty when we arrived.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Royal5555

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback with us. We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your recent experience with us. We can assure you we do take your concerns seriously and will be addressing the specifics with our management team. We would be happy to welcome you back and prove your recent impression is not a typical experience.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed in this hotel several years ago when it was under another name. The hotel was as nice as I remembered it to be. Checking in was easy, with the optional valet parking (an extra 30 dollars a day, but worth it for the time we were there). When making my reservation, I had put under 'Special Requests' that I needed a refrigerator, as they're not supplied in the room, for my medication. Upon checking in, when I asked the clerk about my refrigerator request he seemed to make some kind of face, as if I were trying to scam the hotel out of a refrigerator. He informed me that NOT only had they NOT put in a refrigerator, but I had to pay an extra twenty dollars a day if I wanted one, or I had the option to put my medication (which is for a blood disorder and costs thousands of dollars) into 'their' refrigerator and they would lock it up and I could use it when I needed it. As I wasn't about to entrust my medication to them, I elected to pay for a refrigerator. As many hotels provide complimentary refrigerators, I was rather irritated as I was already paying a steep price for the hotel as it was and I was not even informed of this charge.
Otherwise, the room was nice but small, very clean (except some dust bunnies under the bed), and quiet. Great river view. The restaurant has excellent food, if a bit pricey. The one night that we ate dinner there, only one waitress was present and had about ten tables to cover (on a Saturday evening), so the service was slow, but there are plenty of other restaurants around, including fast food. The concierges were friendly and helpful. Besides the rather irritating attitude of the check-in clerk, a very nice hotel. Still, I will look elsewhere my next stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the highest up and pay for the river view--well worth it.
1  Thank Marilyn921
WYNPITmgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Marilyn, While we appreciate that you chose to stay with us, we regret you left with such an impression. All of our suites do have refrigerators and microwaves in those rooms as a standard. If a guest does need a refrigerator for medial reasons, we do have one located in our Security/Loss Prevention Department at no cost, for those guests. We certainly could have better communicated this information with you, and can assure you we will take your feedback to heart. We do hope you might reconsider staying with us in the future, should your plans bring you back our way.