“lots of rooms with amazing views, few services, not central”

Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown
Ranked #51 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Was here for a large professional conference. The corner rooms have great views and are modern and nice (wish it had a tub instead of a shower stall). the staff are friendly but the conference space was dark. There was no wifi and no cell service in the conference areas (not even near the windows...and it wasn't just my service provider). There's no where nearby to get a cup of coffee or snack without going for a 3-4 block walk. the restaurant and lounge were small and the gift shop charged $2.25 for a bottle of soda. They did have a great shuttle service. Walking to the parks was great. It would be a good place for families.

Room Tip: ask for an upper corner room facing the city or the river or at least one facing the fountain/park...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
WYNPITmgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your recent stay. We regret the conference areas did not meet your expectations, and we will share this with all involved. We do welcome the opportunity to improve on our guests' experiences. If your travel plans bring you back our way, it would be our pleasure to serve you again.

There are newer reviews for Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Just came back from a wonderful conference celebrated a the Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown. After a long trip I was very tired and really needed some rest. Registration went smoothly, but when I arrived to my room I was a bit upset; a little issue with air conditioning which Matt promptly solved and a bigger one with space. The following afternoon I contacted Jason and expressed my concern and he quickly offered a solution to my problem. I was changed to a new room which I absolutely loved and felt comfortable coming back to after a long day of presentations.Sharon from housekeeping was just great, service at the bar and gift shop also. Employees like Jason ( Director of Guest Services) are an asset to your hotel and I recommend him to any traveler who encounters any issue. ( he will solve it) Great location and friendly staff. And free wi fi !!

Room Tip: Check room measurements, some standard rooms are smaller than others.
1  Thank Busylady56

We enjoyed hosting your recent conference and are glad to know you had a pleasant stay. It is especially nice to receive your kind comments relative to the assistance our staff provides, and we will certainly pass along your compliments to those specifically mentioned. If your plans bring you back to Pittsburgh, we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
WYNPITmgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Stayed here from August 15 to August 17 2014 for the Bills/Steelers game. Everything was great from the hotel bar to the front desk check in to the room. Not a single complaint. Can walk to Heinz Field & PNC Park. I would stay here again and would recommend any staying in Pittsburgh to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Darren A

Dear Darren, We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us. It is especially nice to know you would stay with us again, when it will be our pleasure to welcome you back!

Reviewed 20 August 2014

To whom it may concern,
I am writing to detail my horrific experience me and my family lived through at the Pittsburgh Wyndam at Point Park on August 15th and 16th of 2014.
My parents were celebrating 50 years of marriage and we flew in many people from all over the country for their wedding “vow renewal”. You can imagine how important this event was. I am going to try and put this in chronological order.
Tony (Your head of events) was very rude to the coordinators, didn’t return phone calls, changed the room at the last minute, nickel and dimed us on a microphone, charged a cake cutting fee (that was not disclosed earlier) and was out sick without a back up contact person a week prior to the event. Who does that?
My cousin Debbie Jackson had to move her room 3 times!!! 3 times! Because of moldy carpets, dusty headboards, dirty bathrooms.
I had to have one of my rooms changed because although on the 14th floor, the room reeked of chlorine. My son has Asthma, so I had to move them out of that room for safety.
As soon as I sat on my bed a puff of dust was released into the atmosphere which means these rooms haven’t been cleaned or dusted until the next customer comes (in this case, this room seemed empty for quite some time). However, being frustrated from moving one room, I decided to stay. Why did I do that? The following day, after the festivities, I return to my room to see that my room had not been serviced. When I called the front desk, they said “oh they have until 4pm”. Well, it was 3:57 with not one maid cart in sight on our floor. We returned to the room later to have new towels thrown on our bed with the dirty ones in the same place we left them. C’mon Wyndam!!
I had at least 5 other family members change their rooms and this all happened without us knowing that we were all in the same boat. Such a shame!
But last and not least, my mother and father who were celebrating 50 years of marriage miraculously did NOT have a reservation. This is crap since the first manifest I received had me with 4 rooms booked when I only had 2. They were supposed to have one of the 4 since my brother also had a room. We tried to talk to the “acting manager” can’t remember her name and she said she could give us a room for $304 a night. Are you kidding me??? Everyone else got the rooms for $129 and the bride and groom get it for $304? I don’t think so. Thankfully, Zach (I don’t know his last name) jumped in and at least gave us the second night for $179. But let’s add a little insult to injury, my parents got a Jr. Suite (which in this hotel means one big room with a couch) and as soon as we walked in, the smell of moldy carpet hit us right in the face. My parents are people that don’t like to make waves, so they turned on the air, we sent someone for Lysol and they dealt with it. However, the trip wouldn’t be complete until my mother had to kill a ROACH in her bathroom!!!! Now what the hell is wrong with this picture? So this is what I’m going to do. I am going to send a copy of this letter to every Wyndam I can get an address for, I am going to put it on my facebook page, and I am going to send it to Expedia, TripAdvisor, Yelp and all of the other social media sites that will be more than happy to warn unsuspecting travelers of this foolishness.
I travel for business at least once a month, and most Wyndam hotels are nice. However, this one not only sucks for all of the reasons listed, it ruined a very memorable event that my parents will have with them forever.
One more thing, I don’t think anyone enjoys taking showers where the water comes up to their calves because the drains don’t work. That happened to ALL of us.
Thank you very much Wyndam in Downtown Pittsburgh.
Way to go.

I hope NO ONE ever patrons your hotel and I hope this hotel goes under and goes very quickly.
Very Sincere,

Lorna J.Hallenbeck

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Used to be the Hilton and they kept everything including the carpet which is m...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Hallenbeck1

Dear Lorna, We have had positive interaction with several guests from your event who were very pleased. If we make a mistake, we do own up to it and make every effort to regain the confidence of our guests. We are very sorry that you feel this way, and if you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to reach out to us personally.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Centered right at Point State Park, walking distance to PNC and Heinz Park. Hotel offers free shuttle with a 3 mile distance, they will drop you off and hand you a card with the number to call when you are ready to be picked up. We took the shuttle to the incline and to The strip....we walked back to the hotel from The strip, it was just over a mile but nice to walk through the city. Penn Ave is a straight shot to everything. Hotel was ok, quick check in, room clean and presentable. Bathroom had shampoo, conditioner, body gel and I believe a shower cap. Abundance of towels. Bed was comfortable, we eneded up with a 2 queen room and there were 4 pillows on each which was great! Oddest thing is that the tv would only go so loud, it was just loud enough to hear but i didn't complain as we didn't watch too much tv. Pool was great! Hot tub was HOT! Great view from the pool room and from what i seen the workout area had more than i expected in a hotel. We parked in the garage around the corner on Fort Duquesne Blvd, it was only $18/day. Free wifi in the rooms. Not the strongest signal but worked fine.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LightTraveler10
WYNPITmgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us recently. Thank you for contributing your feedback which is valuable to other travelers. If your travel plans include a return visit, we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I was supposed to stay at the Wyndham for a business conference, but never got a chance to because they overbooked and made a reservation at the Sheraton. I was informed on the day I was traveling. Thank God I checked my e-mail that day, otherwise I would have never known. This is poor form!

1  Thank TheAngel1881
WYNPITmgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

We appreciate that you chose to stay with us for your conference, and are very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced with regard to the hotel being overbooked. We can assure you we make every effort to accommodate each of our guests' reservations, and if for some reason that is hindered, we will make sure that an alternative is provided as well as transportation. In lieu of you being notified when you actually arrived at the property, we did want to give you some advance notice. We appreciate your patience and do hope to have another opportunity to serve you in the future.