“Nostalgia with all the modern conveniences”

Omni William Penn Hotel
Ranked #6 of 70 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Buffalo, NY
“Nostalgia with all the modern conveniences”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I am from Pittsburgh originally and remember the William Penn from when I was a kid. It was a thrill for me to stay at the Omni William Penn on a recent business trip to Pittsburgh.

The lobby is majestic. There are lots of comfy couches and spaces to meet or relax. The check in was quick and I was given a room on the 12th floor. I had a convention rate of $165/night so I'm sure I was given a very basic room (two double beds). But there was nothing basic about this hotel or room.

I had read on their website that there was a fridge in each room (not a mini-bar, thank goodness). I really appreciate this touch, as I like to stock the fridge with soda and flavored waters to keep hydrated. When I walked into the room, I could not believe how big it was for a basic room. Usually older hotels in city centers have rooms that are tiny. Not this room. There was a foyer with a large closet (behind beautiful mirrored doors). The desk had plenty of electrical outlets built in. There was a side chair and of course coffee maker. The bathroom was actually quite large for an older hotel (plenty large for one person). The lighted make-up mirror was a nice touch. Hint: the hair dryer is hanging on the back of the door. There is a motion activated night light on the bottom of the night stand. It was just enough light for when I had to get up in the middle of the night. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable.

Another problem in older hotels tends to be few and slow elevators. Not at the William Penn. There were 12 elevators, so there was never a long wait for an elevator.

I had valet parked my car for $29/night. At first that might seem like a lot. But when I stay at the Residence Inn on the North Shore, they charge $19/night for parking in their surface lot, so I guess $29/night is not that bad. The bellman also brought my bags up immediately to the room from the valet park area.

While at the Omni, I signed up on-line to be part of their Select Guest program. This was easy to do and saved me the $9.99/night charge for internet access. This was a great deal.

The fitness center is open 24/7 which is great. It did get very crowded one morning at 6:00 a.m., but luckily I was almost done with my workout by that time. There were 3 Precor ellipticals, 2 bikes, and 3 treadmills. The elliptical and bike that I used were in great working order. There were also plenty of towels, cups, and sanitizing wipes. There were also about a dozen weight machines and free weights.

The hotel is convenient to just about everything in Pittsburgh. I walked to a meeting at PPG place, which is almost across town, and it only took 15 minutes (and I was walking slowly). I ate both nights at Capital Grille, which is only 3 blocks away. Capital Grille was fantastic, but there are a wide variety of dining options close by.

If you have a chance, try to tour the Grand Ballroom (I think on the 17th floor). It is beautiful.

1 Thank Nittany&Fargo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Turkish first
Charlotte, United States
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This hotel is so beautiful and I've stayed a couple times on visits to Pittsburgh. It's close to everything, so I can walk if I choose. It even has a Starbucks in the lobby! The restaurants are all good and the staff is extremely helpful & friendly.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Melinda K
Harrisburgh, United States
Reviewed 18 June 2014

While this hotel is beautiful to look at and is centrally located within the city, it is very old and therefore very loud on the inside. Every door that shuts sounds like it is being slammed whether it really is or not. So if you value your sleep go elsewhere. Additionally the bathroom was so small that I could barely turn around without bumping into a wall. The bathroom couldn't have been larger than three feet wide at one part in front of the sink. Additionally there was hair in the bathtub which is just disgusting.

1 Thank Melissa B
WmPenn, Manager at Omni William Penn Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
We regret that your accommodations fell short of your expectation for this visit. We want our guests to have an outstanding experience and are disappointed we let you down. We hope to have another opportunity to be of service when you return to Pittsburgh.
Oakland, CA, United States
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I always enjoy my stays at the Omni William Penn. The staff always goes above and beyond to make you feel welcome. The lobby is grand. It is one of the nicest hotel lobbies I have seen. The Fitness room has plenty of options with weight machines, free weights, treadmills, and much more. The loyalty benefits include nice little surprises and conveniences that surpass other hotel chains. It is always a pleasure to stay at the Omni William Penn.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel is on the pricey side but the location is great, close to all the great restaurants and a 5 min walk from the Convention Center. The rooms are big and very accommodating. The staff are very helpful, courteous, and prompt.

I was there for business and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Omni. Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
New Hampshire
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Great place with lots of amenities and quiet.

Parking at city garage is fairly easy and cost us $5 per day so valet parking seems a bit pricey at $29 per day.
Fitness center is very good and has yoga mat.

Staff is friendly and attentive.

We were at a family affair that fed us a lot so we just had the courtesy morning beverage, which came with a small muffin, gratis.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank nhdrjon
Ohio
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed the weekend in Pittsburgh at the Omni Hotel. It's a wonderful hotel. We parked our car in the garage across the street. We didn't need it the whole weekend since everything is in walking distance from the hotel. There are many restaurants, shopping, theaters and museums all close by.

The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. The elevators are super fast so there is no waiting if you are on the upper floors. The service is top notch.

Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family