“Omni Hotel Downtown Pittsburgh”

Omni William Penn Hotel
Ranked #6 of 73 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Hotel is very nice with a very appealing lobby and very comfortable and elegant rooms. Health club was very nice, but unfortunately there was no pool or Hot Tub. Towel were very plush and soft. The other thing that was missing was a dresser for storing my clothes, luckily I was alone in my room so I was able to unpack my things into the night stand.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts
Write a ReviewReviews (4,454)

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I'll start by saying we used to live in PGH and were familiar with how difficult it is to get around town. Finding the hotel was problematic. However, walking up the steps to the lobby, seeing the beauty of it and the surroundings took away some of the angst of dealing with the maze that is PGH.

The front desk staff is quite rude and condescending. We were told our room would not be ready early (in spite of repeated phone calls requesting early check-in). A man named John took over from the snotty front desk girl and quickly had us in our room. What is unfortunate is that the mother of the bride received the same treatment the following day. My husband went to the front desk and again, John stepped in and took over. A word of caution to the hotel: you obviously deal with dozens of bridal parties every weekend. YOU may be accustomed to dealing with weddings. For the parents of brides and grooms this may be a once in a lifetime event. This is a big deal to us, and is perhaps a NEW experience to us. Don't ruin it with your nasty staff manning the front desk. Perhaps some care, concern, empathy and service rather than rudeness, disdain and condescension. Shame on the front desk girls. Kudos to John for helping.

Our room was beautiful and spacious and very clean. The bed was comfortable and the noise level was literally a zero. We never heard any street noise, neighbor noise or even room service noise. The only downfall was a very unpleasant odor from the bathroom sink plus the bathroom was not laid out very well, making the mirror next to impossible to use. Having to work on my hair and make-up for the big event was not easy due to the awkward bathroom layout.

We ate breakfast in The Terrace Room, courtesy of vouchers supplied to all out-of-town guests by the bride's family. Tax and gratuity were included in what they paid for the breakfast but being an ex-service industry employee I ALWAYS tip above the standard and had every intent on doing so for our server. Yet another rude and condescending staff member. Once he saw the breakfast voucher he could barely be bothered with refilling our coffee. We had two of our sons with us and he also ignored them. In spite of his nose in the air attitude I tipped him well and we returned the following morning. He was quite pleasant on Sunday, we believe because he was tipped on top of what he received from the bride's family. Shame on him.

On the other hand, the Tap Room had the best service, fast, friendly, efficient and the food was top-notch.

Overall I would say it was a beautiful place to stay for a special event. The surroundings were lovely. Our room was beautiful and comfortable. The cost for parking was excessive and unavoidable. Watching the valets screech up and down the parking garage left us gasping and we would NEVER allow them to touch our vehicles.

While I would not stay there again I would say we left with some beautiful memories...of the hotel itself, NOT of the staff.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Our group just recently completed a week stay. Not only were we pleasantly surprised with the grand old hotel but the service was fantastic. Hat's off to the entire hotel staff and especially Erin Zimmerman for working through all of our groups needs. Recommend for any group looking to do a conference there. Oh and Pittsburgh is a plus - great city!

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I booked an extended 3 night stay at the Omni William Penn for a Girls Weekend Away celebrating a friend's 50th Brithday. Having an appreciation for the days-gone-by era, I desired the charm of an historic hotel for our playground base. In short, the hotel was exquisite and delivered on all fronts! From booking the arrangements via phone to making the key drop on the way out, we experienced nothing but remarkable service our entire stay! The Concierge's desk took care to place flowers I had ordered in the room ahead of our arrival, the online check-in was brilliant and efficient, our room was clean and decorated beautifully, fresh water pitchers and red & green apples await the weary traveler or everyday guest in the reception area should one need refreshed. There's a Starbucks off the main lobby for caffeine needs/breakfast needs any time of day. We indulged in Royal High Tea at The Terrace Room and were treated wonderfully by our waitress/hostess - a young Ukrainian lady named Krystyna who couldn't have been more pleasant or attentive. Dave, a bartender in The Speakeasy enthusiastically joined in our plan to help us surprise our Birthday gal with another friend who had flown in from out of state - a surprise reveal which was orchestrated perfectly given his assistance! Each of us gals marveled at the level of superior service and cleanliness throughout the hotel. We would definitely stay here again and very much appreciated stepping back in time every time we pushed through the revolving doors - a true treasure of a hotel for Pittsburgh!

Room Tip: Be specific to ask for a view of Pittsburgh as many rooms face a brick wall given the architecture o...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tammy S
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This truly is a beautiful old hotel. The lobby is grand and beautiful with stunning chandeliers. The room was spacious with a bath and a half, which was nice. Unfortunately, the AC kept making a loud noise, so didn't have a restful sleep. I didn't complain, as I didn't want to have a maintenance man in my room or to move rooms late in the evening. The staff was accommodating and friendly. There is quite a bit of construction in the area and no parking unless you pay $25 to valet. I would recommend staying in another location in the city.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
WmPenn, Manager at Omni William Penn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

We appreciate you taking time to share your experience and thank you for your kind comments regarding our beautiful lobby. We regret that your stay was not the full experience you had anticiapted. We hope you will give us a second chance when you return to Pittsburgh.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed at the Omni for two nights as a stop over for our driving family vacation. I accidentally left all our passports and over $200 in cash in the safe. Well thank goodness for honest people. The staff handed everything to the hotel security. Five days later I picked up the passports & cash and headed back to Canada.
In regards to the rooms, we had a renovated one which was nice and spacious. Hotel lobby is beautiful.
Only disappointment was the concierges. We had two different ones and both were quite uninformed with opening times and ideas of places to go.

Room Tip: I believe deluxe rooms have been recently renovated.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I've stayed a this hotel a few times, based on travel to Pittsburgh for work and this place is on my company's preferred list of places to stay. The staff is always attentive and eager to please, but this stay just didn't meet my expectations based on previous stays. The first room that I was assigned to was small, cramped, smelly, the air didn't work, and there was no refrigerator. I was immediately assigned to a different room which was much better, but the bathroom could have used just a little bit more attention, not bad, but not what I expected from this hotel. Also there was some construction going on so the Terrace Restaurant was moved to one of the banquet rooms on a different level of the hotel. I didn't see anything that really piqued my interest on the Terrace Restaurant's menu, but the server gave me the option to order from The Tap Room (pub located elsewhere in the hotel) restaurant's menu. The meal was bad, I ordered a burger that was burned beyond recognition and then served to me. The burger was crunchy and tasted really bad, leaving a carbon after-taste. The server immediately offered to replace the burger with another menu item, she suggested the chicken sandwich, which arrived equally bad. The chicken was gray in color and also tasted burnt. I think that someone needs to clean the grill. The food and beverage manager immediately emerged and offered his apologies. I was a little disappointed in this stay. There is never any consistency in room assignments, even as a member of their "preferred" club. Saving grace is that the staff is very nice and always willing to help.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank krogers1

Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback and will address your comments with our team. We value your patronage and will look forward to your next visit and the opportunity to redeem ourselves.