“Good solid hotel. Nice location. Bit of a mixed bag”

Omni William Penn Hotel
Ranked #5 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
“Good solid hotel. Nice location. Bit of a mixed bag”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

We stayed at the William Penn Hotel on a 24-hour baseball trip with my adult daughter. The hotel is well located. It's an easy walk to PNC Park and is in a very busy and attractive business district neighborhood. Our rooms were nice and spacious. The bathrooms are small but well equipped with good showers.

This is a beautiful old hotel, and the gorgeous lobby and lower level ramble a bit. There are both a full-service Starbucks and a Bruegger's Bagels off the lobby. There's a former speakeasy bar on the lower level, but we couldn't find it, which seems oddly appropriate. My daughter used the fitness center and said it was better than average.

I did have a couple of issues. My daughter and I could clearly hear each other talking through the walls. The other thing was small, but notable. They usually have apples at the front desk. When we returned from the ballgame, we wanted one they were gone. The front desk staff had no idea where they were. I called room service and was put on hold briefly and then rep told me that someone would be coming up with apples free of charge. I was happy until the server came up, knocked on the door, scowled and pushed a bowl of apples at me, made no eye contact, and stalked away as soon as I'd taken hold of the bowl. Tips are nice but customer service is the point.

Other than those things, we enjoyed out stay, I would certainly consider this hotel next time I visit Pittsburgh.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Turkish first
MICHIGAN
Reviewed 31 August 2014

We arrived via cab and had to drag our own suitcases up a flight of stairs. Not once did the employees standing there offer to help .

The lobby is nice and it has decent food choices. Rooms were clean, but I was disappointed. A few doors down had ordered room service for lunch and it smelled awful. The tray was still sitting there when we came back from dinner at 9 pm and the whole hallway smelled. I guess I expected better.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is full of history and is absolutely beautiful. The staff was friendly and helpful and we had a great overall experience. The only downside is that we were a few rooms down from the elevator and could hear the dinging night/day and housekeeping must not get a list of who has checked out because they were knocking on our door at 9:30am and woke us up. Check out isn't until noon so I'm not sure why they start so early. The location is perfect, a short walk to Market Square with a great selection of restaurants. We also walked to and from PNC Park, a 15-20 minute walk, with no problems at all. It is $29 a day to valet at the hotel or $18 a day to self-park. They both use the same garage so if you don't have a lot of luggage, self-park. If we go back to Pittsburgh, we would definitely stay again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 August 2014

We stayed here for two nights as part of a baseball roadtrip to here and Cincinnati. It was fabulous. It was a wheelchair accessible room which was somewhat odd in its setup, but it was spacious, clean, modern and well-appointed. The service during our stay was excellent -- not fawning and no snootiness at all -- just professional, friendly and courteous. I've been in a number of four-star hotels while traveling on business and this offers the best of those without any of the pretentious or uncomfortable downsides. Highly recommended for business travelers or families. It's my idea of what a hotel should be.

Reviewed 31 August 2014

When I was a child growing up outside of Pittsburgh our family would sometimes drive into Pittsburgh and we would shop. On occasions we would walk through the William Penn where i was impressed by the grand lobby, the uniformed door men and smells of the restaurant. I moved away to attend college, moved to Seattle, and have not been back to the William Penn for over 25 years. I travel a bit and will always choose the old grand hotels in New York, London and Paris over the trendy austere hotel W type of place. My wife and I had an opportunity to have a mini vacation with out the kids while I attended to some business in the 'Burgh. If you appreciate the elegance and service of a classic hotel this is the place to stay in Pittsburgh. The lobby is spectacular, a wonderful place to enjoy a drink and watch the world go by. The service was very professional and Pittsburgh friendly. The problem with many old hotels is that the room are very small and hard to update. The Will Penn has done a great job updating the rooms. I could turn up the AC drop the curtains and my bed became a perfect place to rest- dark cool and very quiet. This is a great place to stay. When I come back to Pittsburgh I will stay again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank 518charlesc
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Wonderful, clean and elegant hotel. Beautifully decorated lobby. Spacious and comfortable rooms. Super friendly and accommodating staff. Great central location. Will definitely be back!
Ruby
Toronto, Ontario

• Stayed August 2014
Canton, IL
Reviewed 30 August 2014

My niece and I stayed at the Omni in Pittsburgh because of the price we received online and the Trip Advisor rating. We had a great room to go along with the incredible price. From the valets out front to housekeeping in the hallway, we were treated like valued guests. The hotel is an easy walk to PNC Park and most other attractions in downtown. We took advantage of the valet in and out privileges to explore outside of Pittsburgh. Yes, the bedroom and bathroom were on the smaller side but it was all we needed. The hotel is very clean and we would stay here again. Thank you to all the staff for a great stay.