“Stranded Yet Pleasantly Surprised!”

Holiday Inn Express Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Airport
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Pittston
Roma, Texas
“Stranded Yet Pleasantly Surprised!”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We had to stay at this hotel due to airport delays. The hotel stay for a night was paid by United Airlines. I expected the worst; I am usually so picky. Upon arrival, the employee at the front desk was so warm and friendly. She really helped us with all we needed including getting a warm meal to our room way after hours at a super cheap price. Later, we really needed more diapers, and we had no way of getting to the store. The manager shuttled my husband to a Wal-Mart that was not so nearby. We greatly appreciated how he went out of his way at nearly 11 PM to accommodate our needs, so nice and a great relief! By the way, they shuttled us to and from the airport as well. When first entering, the property smells a little musty and hallways really need updating. The room, however, was clean. I was pleasantly surprised with the condition of the room and of the bathroom. We slept well. Some of my kids slept on the floor and were quite comfortable. In the morning, we headed to the breakfast area and got free cereal and sticky buns and biscuits for everyone. My whole family was happy. It was a nice stay, not for you if you are used to luxury. We appreciated the kindness of the staff and the decent, clean room with comfortable bed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank 790brandyk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
FRASER
Reviewed 6 February 2014

This property is so convenient to the WB Airport that you want to stay there but Wow does it need an interior renovation badly! Some of the furniture in the rooms appears to have changed however the couch in my suite had rips in the arm and was old. The Dining area in also a step back in time with old furniture and so on. The up side was what a great staff. They went out of their way to make sure I got the things I needed and use of the premises for several meetings I conducted while there. My 3 point rating is for the actual Hotel not the staff The staff would get 5 stars! Holiday Inn lets get this property up to date!

Room Tip: Rooms all seemed ok they just need to finish updating
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We spent a night here before my husband's 5 am flight the next day. While our room looked okay, I second other reviewers, Television reception is not very good. Some deep cleaning in the bathroom on tub floor and shower head needed to be done, and the green and yellow carpet is green and grey on most of the floor. Everything feels a little filmy. Yes, there was a cotton swab on the coffee tray. The waterproof mattress pad on the top of a puffy mattress pad makes noise every time you move and shifts during the night. I wonder if it ought not to be under the regular mattress pad. Very friendly staff, nice breakfast. Be sure to check everything in the room prior to anyone going to sleep. We discovered a very slow moving toilet and were grateful that it didn't overflow in the night. Sink drain was also not working well. They offered to switch us as I was checking out in the morning and claimed that they'd been having some cleaning issues. You could do worse, and you could do better. It's convenient to the airport.

Room Tip: Ask not to be on the first floor, and in a renovated room Check for clean and functioning including...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Airport, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear Bonace55,

Thank you so much for your recent comments. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. We appreciate you bringing your concern to our attention and apologize for any discomfort you may have experienced. We don't want any guest inconvenienced and rest assured that your comments will be used for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Maine
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

Passing through on our way home and this hotel was very close to Mohegan Sun Casino. We've always trusted the Holiday Inn group and we were greeted warmly at the front desk (which also displayed a piled high plate of warm cookies!). Check in was easy and up we went to 4th floor end of hall. A bit narrow entering the room but neat and clean. Off we went to the Casino and returned around 11:30pm. Hubby ran the water to take a shower and he never got a hot one which meant my chances were slim. I took the fastest ever shower that night. The towels were plentiful and very soft and fluffy. The queen bed was quite comfy and we slept well. Breakfast was well laid out downstairs and there were lots of options. Pancakes (2 at a time) were as easy as pushing a button! There was a staff member replenishing the food as the dining area was a little busy. Upon checkout I was asked if we enjoyed our stay and how was everything. I mentioned the shower and she was quite horrified and asked if I had contacted the front desk. I told her no because it was so late. She was aware they were in the process of getting bids for a new boiler. She thanked us for staying and off we went. I would stay here in a future trip.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gsg1557
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Airport, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear gsg1557,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. It's great to hear that your candid feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I appreciate your compliment on our comfortable bedding, smooth check in experience and breakfast selection. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. Please accept our sincere apologies for the cold shower. We take all reviews very seriously and your feedback will help us improve on your next visit. Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This poor property is sort of stranded in the airport area. The one restaurant across the parking lot is closed. The HIE itself has very friendly, competent staff. My room was fine but lacked a few things to make it a better stay. I don’t need the most update décor but it is nice when attention is given to detail. The room was clean but the bath needed some elbow grease to get the mold out of the showerhead and bathmat. Odd thing missing in the bath amenities was lotion, which is nice to have in the winter. Breakfast was hot and standard for HIE. The odd thing was no salt and pepper on the tables. Minor thing but something that makes each table look better than a food court.

Room Tip: My room was facing the interstate but was still quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
NY
Reviewed 11 November 2013

The hotel is dreary and dated, its in dire need of renovation. My room was clean but had worn out carpets and a tired dated decor. The bathroom was decent. The staff was good. I could not get wifi in my particular room. There was a rather old window hvac unit which was quieter than most but the room lacked a thermostat. You just guess on a position for the temperature dial on the hvac unit and hope it works out. Its been a while since I stayed in the area, but I previously stayed in a much nicer HI express nearby (dickson city?).

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank qqq111
Edinboro, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 20 October 2013

This was my second time at this hotel. Rooms are nice. TV reception is not very good with some of the channels in the lineup. Staff are friendly. Breakfast nook is very nice. Good selection. Coffee is always kept fresh. Easy access to I-81 or route 315. Some construction when getting on either route, but limited to right there and of course is temporary. 5 minutes from PNC Field and 15 minutes from Mohegan Sun Casino.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pittston
Comfort Inn Pittston - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Airport
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#4 of 10 in Scranton
Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain
SpringHill Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Wilkes Barre
Holiday Inn Wilkes Barre East Mountain

Been to Holiday Inn Express Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Airport? Share your experiences!