“This place was like the Bates Motel” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Carriage House

The Carriage House
Virginia Beach, VA
“This place was like the Bates Motel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2008

I should have taken the hint when I could not find any information about the Carriage House at Pocono Manor on the internet. This place needs to be condemned. It was a little difficult to find and when we pulled up I was afraid to go in. Typically you can expect that your room would not be as nice as the front lobby, so I was terrified to take the elevator up to the ROYAL SUITE on the 4th floor. There was nothing Royal about that place, except that it was a ROYAL FLUSH! I was so glad that I brought a sheet from home that I could wrap up when I slept. I have to give them credit for great heat, hot water, and comfortable beds because without that I think it would have pushed me over the edge. It was seriously outdated and all the furniture was chipping ... oh, and there was so much dirt on the carpet that it was visible from 5 feet away. The entire trip was not a bust, we did take a trip into New York City with the MARTZ Bus line (about 1 mile down the street in Mt Pocono). It was an awesome deal. 5 of us took the 1.5 hour round trip into the city for just $135. The bus dropped us off at the bus authority right by Times Square and picked us up at the same place. There were several pick-ups so we had the flexibility to come back when we wanted. The ticket purchase was easy, the people were very friendly, the bus was clean, and the bus driver was an excellent driver. If you plan a trip to the Pocono's I recommend you trying this out, but find some place else to stay!!!

• Liked — The beds were comfortable, the water was hot, and the heat worked well.
  • Disliked — The place was run down and dirty.
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank csmith155

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2007

We booked this place through our timeshare company - Interval International and although I never found any reviews of this place, I now understand why -- simply put, this place was a dump hole.

1) The directions to the place were confusing. On top of that, when we called the Carriage House, the girl that answered (later on, we found out this was the front desk girl) was extremely rude and kept telling me "I don't know how you could have passed this place, you need to turn around." She said that about 3-4 times and finally I told her we would manage to locate the place and didn't need her help.

2) Upon finding the place (beware that mapquest/google will take you through the backroads), we realized that we would not be staying anywhere as nice as the Inn at Pocono Manor which is located down the road and looks beautiful upon first glance. This place, upon first glance, looks like something out of a horror movie - no joke. My husband told me to go in and check out the room before we moved our stuff in. Well, that was a wise suggestion because after checking in and dealing with rude front desk girl as described above and going through a 5 minute maze to find our room, I knew that we would not be moving in because it was disgusting.

3) Simply put, this place was like Section 8 housing and I don't mean to offend anyone by saying that but we've used timeshare many a times and this place has to be the worst one I've ever seen - how Interval allows this place to even be on its exchange is beyond me. There is a nasty smell throughout the place, there is no privacy - you could hear the people next door loud and clear, and the place is in DESPERATE need of renovation.

My list of complaints could go on forever but I wish somehow had posted a review of this place so it could have saved my husband and I the trip of going to the place. What we thought was going to be nice few days of R/R turned out to be a disaster. Bottom Line: Don't ever purchase/use timeshare here and run the other way. You're better of exchanging at one of the many other lovely resorts in the area or checking into a hotel. It's a shame that the property is so run down because it is in a nice location (next to the outlets and new Mt. Airy Casino).

• Stayed November 2007

Paradise Stream Resort
Paradise Stream Resort
#2 of 7 in Mount Pocono
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,466 reviews

Been to The Carriage House? Share your experiences!