“Remodeling and Upgrades Make for a nice change”
Review of The Carriage House

The Carriage House
Reviewed 11 February 2009

We have stayed in the studios at the Carriage House before, but this year we were upgraded to a One Bedroom Suite. We were happy with the changes that are being made to the rooms. This room was completely redone with newer appliances and furniture which made it much cozier than the rooms that have not been renovated. It contained a bedroom and a murphy bed in the living area which was appropriate for the children. Our 9 year-old son and nephew enjoyed swimming in the indoor pool, playing outside in the snow, and learning how to play ping pong in the arcade/ game room.

The Carriage House has tons of brochures for local attractions, some of which are seasonal, so make sure you stop in the lobby to pick some up. We did not eat at the restaraunt located in the resort; however, it was nicely furnished and had a decent menu.

Mt. Airy Casino is about 5 minutes down the road.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank chickadee8654

Reviewed 4 September 2008

After reading the reviews we were quite leery of this location.
We were pleasantly surprised and found most of the reviews certainly didn't pertain to our stay.
We found the location with no problem.
The staff was all wonderful - Every one I encountered was friendly and very very helpful.
We had a 1 bedroom refurbished room and it was perfect for us...very clean and perfect size.
The location is good and the other guests were all very friendly.
We would go again.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2008

Booked our timeshare directly from Carriage House 6 Mos. In advance. Was promised the New Royal Suite with 2 TV's that sleeps 6. We received an old Royal Suite with 1 TV in Living Rm. With a sofa that should have had been trashed a long time ago (you dropped directly to the floor). Our rm only slept 4, so they gave us a rm that sleeps 2 also not connected. If we had young children that would't had been acceptable. They refused to move us to the suite that we purchased. Only had a A/C in the bedroom that did not cool the whole suite. No light on porch. The suite was not cleaned to our expectations. What made this experience liveable was the indoor pool and deck. But they also need to clean the deck near the pool area of trash once in a while. I wouldn't recommend purchasing this timeshare unless you exchange it every year.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2008

The resort appears to be trapped in the 1970's. Old and worn with very small features in comparison to your typical timeshare resort. For comparison think Econo Lodge.

The indoor pool is okay for older chlidren but not for toddler aged kids, and even the "kiddie pool" at the larger Inn at Pocono Manor is nothing but a circle of 1 ft. water about 6 feet in diameter.

Adequate for a weekend away or as a base to sleep at while visiting nearby attractions, but that's about it.

In summary, you get what you pay for...

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Will_and_fam
Reviewed 4 April 2008

My wife and I decided to use my parents timeshare at the Carriage House (since it was within a 2 hour driving distance from our home) Normally I use trip advisor to get a general idea for the place that I am about to visit. After reading the prior reviews I was a little skeptical and wasn’t sure if we made the right choice.
After staying here 4 days I would have to say that we were pleasantly surprised and actually had a very nice time. I think that the prior poor reviews are due to the type of expectations different people have. If you are looking for a 5 star resort with concierge service and pool side cabanas you will be disappointed. If you are just looking for a nice little getaway to relax and unwind you will definitely be satisfied.

Just to give you a review of the property and the room I would have to say that I was very happy with what they had to offer.

Room included:
Kitchen (stove, dishwasher, fridge, pots/pans, cleaning supplies, etc)
Pullout bed (from the wall)
Couch
Cable TV with DVD player
Separate Bedroom
They also welcomed us with a freebie bag with Shavers, razors, deodorant, lotions, floss, hair ties, etc

Hotel surroundings included:
Pool (heated) with 2 Hot Tubs
Game Room (arcade games, ping pong, billiards)
Restaurant on the grounds (Don Quioxte, Spanish)
Breakfast Nook restaurant
Bar

The hotel is also in close proximity (about 5-10 miles) of many activities:
Shopping: CrossRoads Designer Outlet (on Rt 80)
Skiing
Mount Airy Casino
Restaurants (Chilis, Red Robin, Longhorns, etc)
All major Fast Food chains
Food Shopping (A&P, Walmart)
Movie Theaters
Spa (at the Pocono Manor)
Shooting Ranges
Horseback Riding

I hope this helps anyone thinking about staying at the Carriage House. Basically if you are just looking for a place to crash and relax and be in close proximity to various outdoor activities this place would definitely suffice.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joeshu99
Reviewed 13 January 2008

I should have taken the hint when I could not find any information about the Carriage House at Pocono Manor on the internet. This place needs to be condemned. It was a little difficult to find and when we pulled up I was afraid to go in. Typically you can expect that your room would not be as nice as the front lobby, so I was terrified to take the elevator up to the ROYAL SUITE on the 4th floor. There was nothing Royal about that place, except that it was a ROYAL FLUSH! I was so glad that I brought a sheet from home that I could wrap up when I slept. I have to give them credit for great heat, hot water, and comfortable beds because without that I think it would have pushed me over the edge. It was seriously outdated and all the furniture was chipping ... oh, and there was so much dirt on the carpet that it was visible from 5 feet away. The entire trip was not a bust, we did take a trip into New York City with the MARTZ Bus line (about 1 mile down the street in Mt Pocono). It was an awesome deal. 5 of us took the 1.5 hour round trip into the city for just $135. The bus dropped us off at the bus authority right by Times Square and picked us up at the same place. There were several pick-ups so we had the flexibility to come back when we wanted. The ticket purchase was easy, the people were very friendly, the bus was clean, and the bus driver was an excellent driver. If you plan a trip to the Pocono's I recommend you trying this out, but find some place else to stay!!!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank csmith155
Reviewed 22 November 2007

We booked this place through our timeshare company - Interval International and although I never found any reviews of this place, I now understand why -- simply put, this place was a dump hole.

1) The directions to the place were confusing. On top of that, when we called the Carriage House, the girl that answered (later on, we found out this was the front desk girl) was extremely rude and kept telling me "I don't know how you could have passed this place, you need to turn around." She said that about 3-4 times and finally I told her we would manage to locate the place and didn't need her help.

2) Upon finding the place (beware that mapquest/google will take you through the backroads), we realized that we would not be staying anywhere as nice as the Inn at Pocono Manor which is located down the road and looks beautiful upon first glance. This place, upon first glance, looks like something out of a horror movie - no joke. My husband told me to go in and check out the room before we moved our stuff in. Well, that was a wise suggestion because after checking in and dealing with rude front desk girl as described above and going through a 5 minute maze to find our room, I knew that we would not be moving in because it was disgusting.

3) Simply put, this place was like Section 8 housing and I don't mean to offend anyone by saying that but we've used timeshare many a times and this place has to be the worst one I've ever seen - how Interval allows this place to even be on its exchange is beyond me. There is a nasty smell throughout the place, there is no privacy - you could hear the people next door loud and clear, and the place is in DESPERATE need of renovation.

My list of complaints could go on forever but I wish somehow had posted a review of this place so it could have saved my husband and I the trip of going to the place. What we thought was going to be nice few days of R/R turned out to be a disaster. Bottom Line: Don't ever purchase/use timeshare here and run the other way. You're better of exchanging at one of the many other lovely resorts in the area or checking into a hotel. It's a shame that the property is so run down because it is in a nice location (next to the outlets and new Mt. Airy Casino).

• Stayed: November 2007
Hotel M, Mount Pocono
Hotel M, Mount Pocono
#3 of 7 in Mount Pocono
Woodfield Manor, a Sundance Vacations Resort

Been to The Carriage House? Share your experiences!