“Warm, comfortable accomodations”

Ranked #1 of 1 Pocono Pines B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Warm, comfortable accomodations”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My family members stayed at the Mountaintop Lodge for New Year's Eve 2013/2014. The owners have done an amazing job renovating the facilities to create a warm, comfortable environment for travelers! It's truly a unique experience for the area. Of note, all hotel guests have use of the Lake Naomi facilities - which operate year-round. Plus, on-site breakfast at the lodge is invaluable given the lack of selection in the area. Highly recommend for friends and family of those with homes in the area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed for 2 nights - December 29 & 30. Stayed one night in a 2-BR with fireplace and one night in a cabin with King bed, fireplace, and jacuzzi.

We loved our stay. It was so cozy and a perfect place to come "home" to after skiing and snowtubing. Loved the fireplaces, which ended each day so wonderfully. The beds were very comfortable - we slept so well each night.

The breakfast was always so good - abundant and delicious! Lots of fresh fruits, which we loved alongside the eggs benedict and other options. I was very surprised that they had wheat/egg-free potato pancakes that they whipped up for one of my children with wheat and egg allergies. I had not even remembered listing his allergies, but they were ready each morning with hot food that he could have--something that is a rarity, esp. outside of NYC. (And the potato pancakes were a favorite of all of us!)

The hosts and everyone we encountered were so kind and helpful. We couldn't have asked for a better place to stay and definitely plan to return!

Room Tip: 2 BR was great for family of 4 - small/cozy. The King/Jacuzzi/fireplace cabin was also great for th...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank EmilyNYC
NYC
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

We wanted to stay in Lake Naomi since we were there to look for a winter house in that town. This was the perfect B&B for us. Check in was on the slow side but I realized that everyone there moves slow. It's a different way of life than I'm used to here in NYC. The place was very clean. This was my biggest concern. We were in room 7. It was adorable. There was a fireplace, making the room extra cozy. My only complaint is that the bathroom is huge and the room is small. I feel like te space could've been divided better. The bed was actually super comfortable. We had breakfast in the dining room in the morning. I had the baked eggs with cream, spinach and cheese with sausage. My boyfriend had a veggie omelet. They also gave us fresh fruit and croissants plus juice and coffee. Everything was great. I would highly recommend!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank LuxeGirlNYC
philadelphia
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed in one of the cabins for this late October weekend. Overall, it was a great experience and we'd return, although probably not for that price, this time of year (off-season, really, as foliage way past peak - we think they should do as most places, as have different prices for different times of year).

First, the plusses:
- The cabin itself was charming, clean, nice big Jacuzzi, big fluffy towels
- The place held the heat amazingly well (it was a COLD fall weekend, and we didn't even need the heat that was on when we arrived, the whole rest of the weekend, the electric fireplace did the trick)
- The breakfasts were absolutely delicious, and enormous, hard to believe what the previous reviewer said, wasn't our experience at all, either about quality or quantity
- We were never charged for our coffees, only if we bought anything extra from the pastry shop, which we'd expect
- Bottles of water and cookies in our room upon arrival
- Carolyn, who we met on Sun. as she was just back from a vacation, was very friendly and interested to hear our feedback
- We loved the places we found to hike nearby; the nature area off Rt. 115, and Hickory Run State Park
- Lovely craft shop nearby with pottery and jewelry

Minuses
-When we arrived, no-one was at the desk, we could see to the person at the pastry shop and she could see us, but she didn't call out to us that she'd be with us shortly, so we weren't sure whether she was the person to help us. We waited a couple minutes, then walked back to the shop, and it was only when I said to my husband that maybe we should walk over to the cabin and we'd find instructions, that she told us she'd be with us as soon as she finished with the people in the shop. When she did come help us tho', she was perfectly friendly and helpful. We later learned that Carolyn who manages the place was away, so I'm sure this young woman had her hands quite full.
- We'd suggest a bit better lighting for reading and an extra wastebasket beside the one in the bathroom, but those were minor details.
- We didn't end up using the club amenities. When we first arrived, after having our pictures taken for i.d. cards, we thought we'd get a lay of the land and check out both the community center and the club restaurant. The pool and gym at the community center looked great and it was a very quick drive to get to them; we just preferred getting our exercise in the outdoors as long as weather allowed. We were very disappointed, tho', by the club restaurant; we were treated so poorly that we decided not to dine there after all. Although we immediately and clearly stated that we were just checking the place out for later (we were in jeans and sweatshirts), the woman without even saying hello and without a smile, told my husband to take off his hat and started rattling off the dress code, which included a "collared shirt" for my husband, and no logos. We'd brought nice clothes with us but it so happened his shirt was not collared - he's worn it to very nice restaurants in Center City Philly. Perhaps they would have allowed it had we decided to argue it, but we chose not to, as we no longer cared to dine there.

3 Thank lauracohenromano
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Having been raised with the value, "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing," I have never before written a bad review. After staying at Mountaintop Lodge for a weekend, however, I feel it's my civic duty to put my thoughts out there. I am absolutely amazed at the other 5 star reviews of this property. I simply can't imagine who is finding this place to be exceptional.
To begin, I will admit that the lodge was, indeed, cute, cozy and clean. For $230 a night, however, that is to be expected. As for the rest of the bed and breakfast amenities, they were far less than expected. Staff was extremely short-handed and very frazzled. There was never anyone staffing the front desk, so there was no one to help answer questions or guide us toward daily activities or places to eat. When I wanted to pay the balance in cash instead of using my credit card at checkout, it took 15 minutes, and resulted in two staff members being unable to complete the transaction. I was told I'd have to pay with the card, but then neither of the front desk women could run it without double-charging me for the deposit. Eventually, one of the women had to go back to staffing the coffee-shop, leaving me in the lurch. I was sent home without a receipt, and a limp reassurance that a supervisor would call me the next day. A week later, I have yet to receive a call.
As for the "renowned" coffee shop, although the it does serve coffee, tea, and various baked goods, all of these items are available for purchase only. Thus, there are no complimentary tea and cookies waiting in the lobby for patrons, as has been our experience at every one of the 50+ B&B's in which we've stayed throughout the years. This would be fine, except for the fact that when I tried to purchase my evening cup of tea at 8:45 in the evening, an angry staff member was incredibly rude (she wanted to be done for the night, and let us know it), and we were frankly frightened to bother her into anything other than the one cup of tea (for which I paid nearly $3). Breakfast service was less than stellar. The continental breakfast consisted of fruit, croissants, store-bought bread and various jams. In addition to this, on Saturday, we could choose from a menu of 5 interesting options. I had apple pancakes, my husband chose a fruit french toast. The food was good enough, but the servings were quite small. On Sunday, breakfast was buffet style and was nothing beyond what one would have at a Days Inn or the like -- scrambled eggs, french toast, bacon, sausages, and a hash brown casserole containing ham and rendering it inedible to we vegetarians (we were asked for dietary preferences when we made the reservation, but they were not accommodated). In addition, there were no plates on the buffet, no knives or glasses on the tables, and I heard a gentleman ask twice for a way to cut the bagels that were added to Sunday's "feast." In general, wait staff who was also busy staffing the coffee shop, were hard to find and we waited a long while for coffee and water, as others waited just for silverware and juice glasses.
Lastly, let's talk about the amenities of the Lake Naomi Club. While we had been looking forward to dining at the clubhouse for an upscale anniversary dinner, or enjoying an afternoon cocktail, we were saddened to learn that it was closed on the Saturday of our stay for a private party being held that evening. We were stuck in a local pub eating sandwiches for our special meal. We couldn't kayak, as we'd hoped, because the lake was closed and being drained down. There was a sauna and pool for our use, but it is about two miles from the lodge. To use it, we had to feel our way around the community to the community center because --again -- there was no one available to guide us. There we found that we didn't have the appropriate passes to use the facility, since no one at the lodge helped us obtain them. It is as if the affiliation with the Lake Naomi Club is there mainly in name, in order to justify the pricey rooms. When we complained to the staff upon checkout that the Club had been closed on Saturday night, they were totally unaware.
Perhaps in the summer months, the connection with the clubhouse provides greater benefit. In the fall, unless driving to a sauna and pool is your thing, the club holds little appeal.
I could go on and on about how disappointed we were in the service and overall experience at this little lodge but I'm starting to annoy myself with all this complaining. I'll just say this...stay elsewhere! Skytop and Santosha are two Poconos favorites to which we'll return again and again. You can do far better than Mountaintop Lodge (which by the way is right on the highway and NOT on the mountaintop!!)

10 Thank Travelmom1318
Coram, New York
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We've been going to the pocono area for almost 30 yrs. Usually we stay in a local hotel. We found the Mountaintop through friends of ours and we were hooked. If you are looking for a really nice country atmosphere with super friendly staff, this is the place. We have friends that live in Lake Naomi and usually we'll stay with them. The last two trips we've booked a night or two at Mountaintop because we've found an "our place". If you stay here do not miss breakfast. I've had the eggs benedict 4 times now, having been in the restaurant business, I can honestly say it is one of the best I've ever had. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the coffee and pastry shop. To me it's what heaven smells and tastes like. An added plus is you get to use the amenities of Lake Naomi as part of the stay. The beauty of the location is, you're far enough out for peace and quiet but a 20-40 min drive in any direction and you'll find anything the poconos are famous for. We have had 2 fantastic trips here so far and there will definitely be more.

Room Tip: Just being my wife and I we've stayed in the traditional and traditional plus rooms. We preferre...
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 October 2013

After spending the day at Bushkill Falls and then dinner, we all wanted coffee and dessert and just relax. On our way home we spotted the Mountaintop Lodge coffee shop (they need a bigger sign). The coffee and pastries were so delightful, we sat at the tables there in the shop and I sat outside on the porch, so relaxing, the employees were so nice, especially Carolyn. There's a fireplace to sit by and some other chairs up front by the B&B check in. I would highly recommend stopping by for a late nite coffee and some of the cheese strudel. We also purchased a apple cake to take home - it didn't last the night, we ate it all. Just an overall nice experience and great memories to end the day. Stop by you wont' be disappointed and the one employee can sing really well.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Crescent Lodge & Country Inn
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono

Been to Mountaintop Lodge at Lake Naomi? Share your experiences!