“Something for Everyone”

Port Freeze
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Port Allegany
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Don't miss this one if you are traveling on Rt. 6 in Port Allegany! The Port Freez is right on the main street with its parking lot in front. In the summer the soft serve and regular ice cream dishes are the big attraction with all sorts of choices including the latest toppings. But the lunch and dinner menu is constantly updated with Ed's new ideas for specials like wrap sandwiches, dinner salads, as well as hearty entrees for the big appetite. On Fridays the fish is prepared battered, baked, grilled, etc. & includes soup & salad bar plus potato. Warm bread with honey butter is a Fri. nite treat too. This is one of the places the locals love. The staff is very attentive and friendly. You will never have a server who is clueless or lazy! The owner is very particular about who he hires! This place is small, but in summer the outdoor deck is open for dining or just enjoying ice cream treats. Almost forgot....on Tuesdays a great deal on a large pepperoni pizza! On the menu there is a variety of specialty pizzas as well. Very tasty. I have loved eating at this place ever since it opened under the present owner. It is open year round, homey and cozy in the winter and always welcoming to the weary traveler.

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

This small town has several eateries and most of them are experts in using fryers and grease. While that food tastes good, sometimes a person just wants something normal that isn't fried. One of the few places in town to get tasty food that isn't fried is the Port Freeze.

My husband had the grilled fish Friday special that came with a ton of food on the side. It was good - the garlic sauce mashed potatoes were my favorite on his plate. I ordered the Junior chili and cheese baked potato. My daughter liked her plain sub that came just the way she ordered it.

Of course, we had to finish the meal with a dairy treat. My husband's root beer shake was awesome (and it's not on the menu). I enjoyed my huge "small" soft-serve cone that tasted much better than that royalty chain place. My daughter loved her one scoop cone that was two scoops worth of ice cream.

I will definitely be eating here next time we're in town!

Reviewed 1 December 2013

While doing business in Port Allegany, I had the opportunity to do lunch at Port Freeze on 2 occasions. The owner is very friendly and attentive, and the service was fantastic.

On my first trip I did their Thanksgiving Panini, which is a panini with turkey breast (cut from turkey, not deli style), cranberry mayonnaise and stuffing. This came with a side of chips. This sandwich was awesome, and all the flavors melded well.

The second time I was there I had the Cornbread Chili Crumble, which was a bowl of chili with cornbread crumbled atop it. This was a fantastic dish on a cold day, and had a little bit of jalapeno added to provide some heat. The serving was a large bowl and generous

The price was very fair for all items.

Definitely would visit again when in town.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

I was very surprised at the variety of foods here. I did NOT expect a bleu-cheese chicken wrap with craisins. I expected burgers and fries (which they also have), but the menu has far more! The ice cream is delicious too.

I was not impressed with the cleanliness - especially of the menus. I've been in many a good eatery where the food is the focus and the building is obviously not (many of my favorites in New Orleans for example). But a grimy menu that is obviously dirty is not the first impression you want your customers to have.

The food is good, and I'll eat there again - but I'll be hoping to find clean menus! :)

Reviewed 23 May 2012

Chef/owner Ed, puts a creative spin on lunches and dinners in this formerly fast food stop that is outgrowing its nondescript space. Come for the food and the people - you can't eat atmosphere!