Bear Run Campground
US$141
US$123
Travelocity
US$70
All reviewsfamily campgroundmemorial day weekendfull hookupslake arthurgreat campgroundcabinpittsburgh
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Ok so we decided to go camping because one of our friends has not been camping for a long time and she really wanted to go tenting. We moved away from the area about 5 years ago but remembered hearing about this campground and decided to give it a try.

When we arrived it was already dark but everyone in the camp store was helpful and extremely nice. They had a map with directions on how to get to our campsite already for us. We drove past some permanent sites that I must say were very close together and also other sites that barely had room for a trailer. We passed all that confusion and made it to the primitive sites and the noise left. We setup our tents and enjoyed a quiet evening without disruption.

As morning came we built a fire and began cooking our breakfast and still was very relaxing and felt like we were the only ones there.

We recommend staying in the primitive area for a quiet and relaxing stay.

As we left, we were amazed with all the activities that were offered. We would go back again without hesitation!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank GaryandKelly
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The campground is very close to Moraine State Park. The store is stocked with food items, as well as a lot of goodies for the kids. We greatly enjoyed their annual pig roast this weekend for an additional fee. Their restrooms were clean, and hot showers are coin operated. I believe that most people probably use their RV for the bathroom facilities at this park. They had a lot of activities planned (Bingo, Horse Riding, Pig Roast to name a few) and they have a exceptional playground for the little ones. There is also a local pizza shop that makes local deliveries. You can be to Grove City if you like to go out to eat or shop within 15 minutes or so. Also, Living Treasures Animal Park is close by. Their WIFI worked better than most places that we have been camping, but they do not have cable tv. If you are looking for a place to relax, This is it. It is a very quiet, friendly place.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kristy R
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Bear Run has been an annual destination for our family for a few years. Clean restrooms and a well kept park. Very convenient to Moraine State Park. Corn Roast weekend was a great time. Also stayed here while attending the races at Lenerville Speedway. We have always been happy with our stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Tim M
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed at this "campground" over Memorial Day weekend and it was the worst camping experience I have had! EVERYTHING is overpriced from the sites themselves to the store goods. The "campground" is crowded with spaces being so close to each other you have no privacy. There are only two bath houses in the whole huge campground with 2 male/2 female showers in each and you have to PAY for a hot shower (25 cents for 5 minutes of hot water!)! You are not allowed to chop your own firewood so you are forced to buy it in town or at the camp store where it is $6 for a SMALL bundle big enough for maybe a half hour of a campfire. This is NOT a campground, this is a camp resort geared towards families with pre-teen and teen children. There is a camp store that has a lounge with a tv in it in the front, a concession stand, ball field, basketball court/rec center, trout pond, kids minnow pond, swimming pool (supposedly heated but was ice cold!), game arcade, and playground. There are always activities of some sort going on (while we were there for 3 1/2 days there was a ceramics painting session, basketball tourney, field games, karaoke, pony rides, hay rides, a concert, and a dance with a dj that blasted music from a wall-less pavilion until 10:30 at night!), so there is always a flurry of activity around you. The kids run wild here and you cannot pass the playground in a car without people being crowded in the street and not moving really quickly to get out of your way. We stayed in one of the "primitive" sections with no running water nor electric hookups and only ONE port-a-potty at the end of the section, which QUICKLY filled up in one day to the bowl. I complained at the office and was told the sewage people would come the next day, to which I replied that if they waited the toilet would be overflowing.....and thus they waited and it WAS overflowing Sunday morning. I had to get in my car and DRIVE to the nearest bathhouse at 3 AM just to use the toilet! Someone in our section was horribly dirty (poop in the urinal clogging the drain and then peeing in it and filling it up to overflowing!!!!) and the staff got mad that they had to clean the bathroom from top to bottom twice that weekend. By the time we left Monday afternoon the port-a-potty was filled to the bowl again. Then there was the noise level. The campground is very close to I-79 and you can hear the traffic there all night long. And then there were the noisy folks who had a permanent trailer there up above us playing music until 1 AM so I had to call security. Then when security left they started throwing beer bottles in a trash can making loud noises and cursing because they were forced to turn off the music. And we had two teen girls in a tent next to us that liked to talk and giggle into the wee hrs of the morning and spaces being so close together made it impossible not to hear them. I came away from what was supposed to be a relaxing time away feeling run down and irritated because of all the things we had to deal with at the campground and I will NEVER return! My advice is that is you are an older couple (or younger!) and like quiet and solitude when camping, do NOT go here (unless you go WAY back into the walk-in only primitive section at the very top of the campground where it is (hopefully) quieter). If you have a young family and love lots of activities to keep the kids busy and don't mind being so close to your neighbors they can hear you breathe, then by all means go here. As for me and my family, we will NOT be returning to this over-priced, noisy, unsanitary camp "resort"!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
14  Thank BethB39
Reviewed 20 December 2012

I have stayed with my best friend and 2 small children twice in the teddy bear cabin (2009 - 2012). Not much changed in that time frame except perhaps the cabin was worn down more, more scuff marks, more dirt, ants and the porch roof leaks now. I do not think that the pricing reflects the wear and tear that has occurred to the camper. The staff has always been friendly and when our water heater went out (twice) they quickly came to fix it...the fact that the one of the employees kept asking about our kids, wanting to see them, take pictures creeped me out. This past summer there was E.coli in the water but no one mentioned it - there was just a sign by the entrance stating it..was it current? Was the issue corrected? We had been using the water for 3 days before we noticed the sign. I am thankful that no one got sick.
Again - the area is beautiful - pool is clean, staff friendly but it feel like they are doing just enough to keep open and not improving.
I do not plan on returning, which is sad because despite the bad, some great memories were made there.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family